• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I think Todd'd idea about running the AFAR BCG in yours is a good idea. I'd also tweak the alignment of the gas block with the blow test. You can blow through the gas tube until you get maximum flow, then clamp it down there. If something is plugged totally, it would test that too. It wouldn't tell you if something is restricting the flow though.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I say try gas block alignment issues or leaking.

Also may consider buffer spring...if it hasent been tried. If its too weak from being used that could cause issues with the bolt feeding/ejecting.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I say try gas block alignment issues or leaking.

Also may consider buffer spring...if it hasent been tried. If its too weak from being used that could cause issues with the bolt feeding/ejecting.
    Put the entire buffer unit off Dustins rifle cause we knew it worked.

When we discovered the chewed up buffer and the butchered buffer tube we took that step.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Ahhh...gas block would be my guess. It seems every possible part other than gas block has been tried. Its either leaking because its 2 piece or misaligned.
    Yea, us too. Weird clamp on type, never seen one before. One piece with a big gap and two pretty good sized allen screws to bind it together. Thought I had it tight and was careful with tightening it but for alignment I just slammed it up against the shoulder on the barrel. If the hole is "off" a little bit then it wont be lined up proper.

Should've marked it and checked that like Todd mentioned above.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Yea, us too. Weird clamp on type, never seen one before. One piece with a big gap and two pretty good sized allen screws to bind it together. Thought I had it tight and was careful with tightening it but for alignment I just slammed it up against the shoulder on the barrel. If the hole is "off" a little bit then it wont be lined up proper.

Should've marked it and checked that like Todd mentioned above.

^Late to the thread and haven't read all posts, but that's almost certainly the issue (bolded part).

With most blocks it seems, there needs to be a space between the rear of the block and the shoulder on the barrel. Seem to remember it being about .030, but recommend measuring to be sure to account for variances between mfg.

Also, I've used the clamp-on style in a few builds (not sure which one was used here); they work great as long as indexed properly.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    ^Late to the thread and haven't read all posts, but that's almost certainly the issue (bolded part).

With most blocks it seems, there needs to be a space between the rear of the block and the shoulder on the barrel. Seem to remember it being about .030, but recommend measuring to be sure to account for variances between mfg.

Also, I've used the clamp-on style in a few builds (not sure which one was used here); they work great as long as indexed properly.
    Yea shoot. .030 is a LOT. I also didnt feel confident in the assembly when I finished because of this. I should have gone back and marked the gas block to insure alignment.
    We got hung up on having the wrong length gas tube and it cost me a lot of time that would have normally been devoted to such details.

Good info....thanks

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I just dont see the reason for doing that
    I put my BCG out of my good gun in the AFAR with the AFAR upper and it failed.

I tend to eliminate variables when troubleshooting. I’ll admit running the AFAR BCG in a known good rifle is a bit of belt and suspenders, it can let you know that leakage or other issues with the AFAR BCG aren’t compounding the problem.

You’ve already done half the equation by running your known good BCG through AFAR and that’s probably good enough to indicate that the problem most likely lies upstream of the BCG in the gas system.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I think you should swap the BCG’s and fire both rifles. Then swap them back just for shits and giggles. Then take that POS gas block off of there. I think Ez-E kept all the spares we had there but they’re cheap.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Like some of the others said. Use compressed air and blow through the gas tube. You should feel the air coming out the barrel.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    BCG was mine. It ran well in the rifle I took it out of, I only swapped it out because I bought a chrome BCG.
    Also, it had very little use, it''s as good as new.
    I didn’t mean anything by my comment. I was just busting @vmax ’s chops. I know that Komifornia Compliant AR is getting under his skin.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    We have a working rifle now!

I put the EOTECH on that @Moonpie sent me early on, and cant believe the luck...it is so close to on that you could hit a softball at 30 yards.

So I'm gonna let the Airman enjoy dialing it in when we present it to him in January
    Thanks to all!!

@Dad_Roman
    I think that sums it up.....Yessssssss.

Thanks for stickin with it. Got a real live gun now!

To all those involved in the project, Thank You. We have achieved Nirvana!

Top Bottom