• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I have a 600 gallon water tank that is fed on run-off from the house roof. Trying to water the oak tree, I note that water from the bottom-of-the-tank faucet is at most, a medium trickle. I suspect an accumulation of gravel from roofing shingles blocking/plugging the drain faucet. Any idea on how I can get the water out? My only thought is siphoning it out the top of the tank (the tree is downhill from the tank). Ugh. The tank is about 5 ft tall & full to the brim.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Those measures might be temporary, as the sediment may clog it again. But they are definitely worth a try.

Can you tell how deep the sediment layer is?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Your best bet would be to replace the existing valve with a ball valve (3/4" if at all possible), then installing a 3/4" mpt x male garden hose thread (MGHT) adapter. The larger opening will help preclude a repeat issue, and make it easier to "rod out" the valve if the issue DOES return. If you have everything laid out and ready (pre-tape the new ball valve w/pipe dope, etc), you can easily remove the existing valve, install the new valve (with the valve in the open position), then close it off & tighten it down as needed). The amount of water loss will be negligible, and issue is resolved.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Those measures might be temporary, as the sediment may clog it again. But they are definitely worth a try.

Can you tell how deep the sediment layer is?
    I had the same thought. However, if you're snaking it, and it's fine enough, it may flush out. If so, keep the snake going until it runs clear.
    Otherwise, it's going to be an eventual drain of the tank and some form of screen around the inside of the spigot, I think.

Top Bottom