• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What do you guys like to adjust in post editing? So far I’m seeing improvements with highlight and shadow changes. But overall I’m happy with the z50’s image quality.

I sometimes play with the vibrance if I want the color to pop out a little more. Usually with sunsets and landscapes. Looks nicer than cranking the saturation IMO.
    Gun Zone Deals

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    You can adjust the highlights, shadows and blacks some. Contrast and exposure adjustments can help. Sharpness is good too. The real trick is not to overdo anything. Adjusting white balance is often a good idea.I remember when Photoshop 3 came out and people were going crazy applying everything to anything and I wanted to throe up.

You can get a Passport2 which will allow you to color correct images from your camera because it has known color values and the software plugin can set up a preference for each camera you have. All camera brands and even models within a brand have different color gamuts or alogrhythms to render color.

Keep in mind that what you see on the computer is lit by transmitted light and a print is lit by reflected light so the print may look duller than the screen.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I’m noticing folks like defined borders; admitting to it or not I’m noticing a pattern in what people like. Colors to pop and defined borders. It’s a like for the artificial. It’s interesting.

I agree to not go crazy with adjustments.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    breast.jpg

This was shot with my trusty 4x5 camera on polaroid type 55 film. There is only one area in sharp focus.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    velvet & Satin.jpg

Shot on 4x5 Tri-X iso 200. Printed probably on Agfa Brovira grade 3. This loses something in the translation to digital. In the print, the sky really glows like satin. Titled Velvet and Satin.

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    players copy2.jpg

Players, again 4x5 Tri-X ISO 200 Stage lighting. This has been a record album cover, calendar background and many other things. Before I resized it to fit on here, it was sized to a 28x35" digital print.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    I've found, over the years, that clouds are extremely difficult to ever get the image you see in you mind, onto paper. I keep trying, but..........

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Here's one from yesterday. Desiccated amaryllis from Christmas. For those who like the technical stuff, Nikon Z7 105mm F8 1/200 sec ISO 200. The white background is actually the flash in a softbox about 3 ft. behind the flower and there was another white diffuser about halfway between the light and flower.
    Dessicated Amyrillis2.jpg

Here is the setup.
    setup.jpg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Thought I’d update with a mini review.

For those considering a new digital camera, not full frame, I have been very happy with the Nikon z50.

I’m looking for a photo sharing website so no samples yet but I will share soon.

Having outdated film experience, it was kind of intimidating going to digital while being out of touch with the evolution of digital cameras. In hindsight it worked out for the better; Mirrorless makes sense.

The z50 was introduced in late 2019. I’m pleased with the size and how light the camera is. I’m also pleased with how easy and natural menu navigation is. I have no issues having the camera on manual mode and getting to my fstop, shutter, iso, and focus with no fuss.

The lens choices are not great but they get the job done. My kit came with a lower end telephoto and standard lens. Y’all can read specs here: https://m.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_z50/specification

Without an adapter the z50 telephoto choices suck but the telephoto lens that comes with it gets the job done and have tested out to 250 ish yards with acceptable results. Here is a bare bones kit I recommend and to avoid amazon kit deals.

My reasoning for buying a basic kit not having many accessories is I hate buying junk I don’t need. Some items I recommended buying separately: lens hood, filter, memory card, case, tripod.

I love b&h for its simple menu to search and buy filters. I also recommend memory cards by brand name with high rate speeds that specialize in hd/4K video rates if you decide on playing with video/audio. I would also hate to lose a photo because of a shitty card. My point being: buy a basic kit, be considerate of your learning curve, and buy what you need as you go and play around with capturing moments.

The telephoto that came with the z50 is used 95 percent of the time. I run a hood and a 20 dollar uv filter. I haven’t mastered what I have to justify nd and polarized filters but look forward to it. I’m finding my love for nature is getting the better of me. I got chiggers this week but i was happy with the shots lol.

I have to say thanks to @Army 1911 for initially directing me to the z50 as a starter camera. It’s weak point is low light. Yes many reviews have this camera as being ok in low light but I’m a guy that only bumps iso out of true need. Anyway, army 1911 knows his stuff and has been very encouraging. I suggested anyone interested in photography not ignore this man.

Top Bottom