• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    It's been 20 years since I've needed one, and now I do.

Primarily for writing, research; not a gamer, movie streamer, etc. Need a decent screen and a full sized keyboard, prefer android.

I've watched some youtube reviews and... well... I'd rather hear what you folks think.

Also need to find a decent (offline) software/program... Does Word even still exist? LOL What do y'all use?

Thanks in advance, any suggestions are most appreciated. $2k max budget, all in.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    After many years of using HP computers and printers, they finally convinced me to purchase other products. The last few laptops I've purchased were Dell. After years of problems with HP printers, I use a Brother laser printer purchased about ten years ago.

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    For those needs, your budget is way high. What size screen are you wanting? 13, 14, 15" ?
    How much storage? How much memory? Is weight important? Battery life?

Word is still very popular, but there are 2 very good free alternatives. Libre Office and Open Office. I prefer Libre Office.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    For those needs, your budget is way high. What size screen are you wanting? 13, 14, 15" ?

Word is still very popular, but there are 2 very good free alternatives. Libre Office and Open Office. I prefer Libre Office.
    Thanks, I've no clue as to the costs now; good to know I can cover this.
    15" screen at least; sadly, I've no idea re storage or memory... If I wanted to say - keystroke in the complete set of World Book Encyclopedias, without any pictures, I'd want to be able to do that. Does that help? Sorry I'm so clueless about this. Weight not important, nor is battery life.
    I'll check out Libre - thanks!

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I have two Dells Inspiron 15 and always dependable.
    We have also had great experiences with Dell, both for laptops and the desktop I am typing on now (Win7!).
    You may want to look at docking station options so you can have a very large monitor and a mouse/keyboards when at home or wherever your "office" is located. Large LCD monitors have gotten pretty affordable lately...

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    We have also had great experiences with Dell, both for laptops and the desktop I am typing on now (Win7!).
    You may want to look at docking station options so you can have a very large monitor and a mouse/keyboards when at home or wherever your "office" is located. Large LCD monitors have gotten pretty affordable lately...
    Thanks, yes, it will always be here on my desk, and a separate keyboard would be excellent.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Thanks, I've no clue as to the costs now; good to know I can cover this.
    15" screen at least; sadly, I've no idea re storage or memory... If I wanted to say - keystroke in the complete set of World Book Encyclopedias, without any pictures, I'd want to be able to do that. Does that help? Sorry I'm so clueless about this. Weight not important, nor is battery life.
    I'll check out Libre - thanks!
    I would say get 512G storage and 16G memory. You could most likely do ok with less, but it's always better to get more now than to find in a year that browsers and OS take more storage and you hit a limit.

As others have said as well, I'd recommend getting a Dell. That's all we get where I work and have been VERY happy.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Thanks, yes, it will always be here on my desk, and a separate keyboard would be excellent.
    I often use a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse with my laptop when I'm not on the road.
    The last laptops I purchased were from Costco and under $800. There's probably some good prices online at Costco and Sams.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I often use a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse with my laptop when I'm not on the road.
    The last laptops I purchased were from Costco and under $800. There's probably some good prices online at Costco and Sams.
    Your peripherals- wired? Wireless? Bluetooth? I'd want enough ports for all of these.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    If it's ALWAYS going to be on your desk, and you want a separate keyboard, why not just get a new desktop, and large monitor?

Couldn't you get more, for less.
    That's kinda what I was originally thinking; with all the new stuff being laptops I wasn't sure what desktop would still be a good idea.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    You can't beat a Dell and Brother for printer and scanner. If you qualify as a veteran Dell discounts. At least 1 terabyte c: drive, 2 terabyte d: hard drive for data, DVD if you prefer, logitech wireless mouse keyboard, nice big Dell monitor and you are set. Dell provides all the manuals for replacing parts and setup, website keeps everything up to date. I am talking about a desktop unit.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    You can't beat a Dell and Brother for printer and scanner. If you qualify as a veteran Dell discounts. At least 1 terabyte c: drive, 2 terabyte d: hard drive for data, DVD if you prefer, logitech wireless mouse keyboard, nice big Dell monitor and you are set. Dell provides all the manuals for replacing parts and setup, website keeps everything up to date. I am talking about a desktop unit.
    Thank you. Time to visit the Dell website.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you. Time to visit the Dell website.
    Your computing power needs are minimal, so you can get a lot (more than you need) for a little.

Careful buying a used laptop as they often come with Win 10 and may not be upgradable to Win 11...so you start to loose support for those. Also, they tend to come with old/bad batteries, so you only have like 10 min if you do want to work cordless.

This is new and small, so it won't take up much desk space. You would then need to go on OfferUp/NextDoor/FB Marketplace and buy a used flat screen monitor for around $25-$50 (since this one is just an 11 inch). Walmart for a full size keyboard and mouse (and video cable if the monitor doesn't come with one). You are all set for less than $250.

This one has a 15" screen and a "full size" (for a laptop) keyboard, which simply means it has a number keypad to the right of the standard keyboard.

But both the screen and keyboard are small compared to a desktop computer...so I'd go with the preceding unless you think this size screen and keyboard will do...in which case you only need a mouse and get what you want for under $200.

Last edited:

letsget86d

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2024
    Fort Bended Knee

It warms my heart to see Libre Office/Open Office being recommended.

Top Bottom