• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It shouldn't be too hard for Parler to find another host.

Who is going to host them for fear of cancel culture coming for them? Which BigTech company is going to sell them the infrastructure?

Who do you think started this ball rolling? Below is a hint. It only took her 24 hours to get both Google and Apple to do as she told them.

Gm9KWlY.jpg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My cousin and I were discussing this earlier tonight. He mentioned that Arfcom was undergoing some big changes - they put discussion of politics behind a paywall - maybe because they're afraid of public posts being used against them? I dunno. Could just be a cash grab. He mentioned that Arfcom is hosted by Amazon, just like Parler.

Our mutual conclusion is that gun websites are soon to find themselves on the choppiing block, because guns are bad. Brownell's is hosted by Amazon too, and I hadn't even known that Brownell's bought Arfcom - so ultimately they would have to approve any change in hosting.

Its going to be a shitshow and a half when the censors start killing gun sites, and you know what? They probably won't be nice and give warnings - one day we'll try logging into sites like this and get 404'd and they'll just be gone. What will the owners of a site like this do? If its Amazon, Google, or Apple doing the hosting - one of their lawyers probably makes more than a site like this generates in annual revenue and they'd happily defend a lawsuit against them and drag it out. Little guys will just have to take it raw and dry and hope to find a host that won't boot them - but unless that host owns the physical lines and the servers - they're just buying service from a bigger provider anyway.

What happens when say, AT&T says "no more gun websites or conservative speech on our networks" ? When does internet become a public utility and not a private service?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Looks like ARFCOM just blinked (They are hosted on Amazon).

No more politics talk except for TEAM members in a TEAM-Only forum.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Wow. This is monumental.

We truly are unequivocally fucked.

We have ourselves to blame. How many YEARS did we tell folks to get off twitter, FB and BigTech? Yet we stayed. With Parler down, how many are going to go back to twitter & FB, and just abide but the CCCP rules and beg for mercy? Probably most.

75M voted for Trump. That would be a huge economic impact google, apple especially, and others if just stop buying their products. But no most cant wait to go buy a new iphone.

Sooner or later, you have to pick a side. You cant be half a gangsta.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    We have ourselves to blame. How many YEARS did we tell folks to get off twitter, FB and BigTech? Yet we stayed. With Parler down, how many are going to go back to twitter & FB, and just abide but the CCCP rules and beg for mercy? Probably most.

75M voted for Trump. That would be a huge economic impact google, apple especially, and others if just stop buying their products. But no most cant wait to go buy a new iphone.

Sooner or later, you have to pick a side. You cant be half a gangsta.
    What's the alternative at this point? Of the 75M I'm assuming most are still part of the burger King crowd. I want it now, I want it my way for $2.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Probably have to go with a hosting company overseas. It'll never match the distributed bandwidth of AWS, but it's better to be slow and up than non-existent.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I'm not so confident about that. There aren't a lot of companies that can handle the traffic they're seeing. I think they will eventually figure it out but it will take some time.
    It is going to be a nightmare for them. There aren't very many hosts out there that are somewhat affordable and can manage the traffic.
    Here's the thing - "don't think small if you're trying to build big."

Assuming money isn't an issue, there are a number of ways you could roll out sufficient infrastructure capacity extremely quickly with high redundancy; the right team with the right leadership & resources could likely pull it off inside of a couple weeks or less...

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wow. This is monumental.

We truly are unequivocally fucked.

Only because we are allowing ourselves to be. They're pushing us, why aren't we pushing back? I don't mean with violence, I mean with their own tactics. At this point, I think we should be using the same dirty tactics that the left has been using on us for years. The democrats in power and those who support them shouldn't be allowed a single second of peace so long as our rights are under siege. Cancel the cancel culture.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I just spent an hour reading thru reddit...and remembered why I haven't read reddit in two months. But I gleaned some potentially useful tidbits, like this one:

allegedly (I haven't researched to verify this) 47% of all internet traffic now runs on Amazon Web Services - finding another provider that can handle the bandwidth, the growth potential, etc is going to be tough. Parler could jump ship onto a bunch of servers they buy or lease with their own dedicated connection, and they might.

The upshot - Parler and other communications applications needs funding and user support. Thankfully for them, or apps to come - there is a soon to be unemployed billionaire with an axe to grind and a hatred for big tech censorship who might see the investment opportunity. Here's hoping!

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    I don’t use Parler, Facebook, Twitter, or any of the other ones so I couldn’t care less. Privately owned companies should be able to do what they want (they shouldn’t be protected by the gov’t either tho, can’t have it both ways). Don’t like their rules, don’t give them your business. Maybe if their subscriber base was cut in half it would get their attention?
    I like Trump’s idea of starting up his own social media platform just as anyone is free to do. Then you can say anything you want and kick out all the Liberals :)
    You are failing to account for the fact that a handful of individuals have locked down control of a concession that was developed and built with OUR money. Beyond that there are serious problems with this situation squaring with antitrust laws.

Top Bottom