Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Their lost time by hitting the hurdles is the penalty......it just slows them down

Speaking of... The final of the women's 400 meter hurdles is today. I wonder what the over/under is on Sydney McLaughlin setting a new WR? She's gonna be pushed by Femke Bol; I think it's going to take a near-record time to win this one.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Speaking of... The final of the women's 400 meter hurdles is today. I wonder what the over/under is on Sydney McLaughlin setting a new WR? She's gonna be pushed by Femke Bol; I think it's going to take a near-record time to win this one.
    Yes it will be good. My money is on McLaughlin. She is also extremely hot!

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Yes it will be good. My money is on McLaughlin. She is also extremely hot!

Speaking of... Since the U.S. has no teams in contention any longer in women's beach volleyball, I've been rooting solidly for the Canadian team of Humana-Paredes and Wilkerson. They fought back and beat the Swiss team today in a tight 3 sets, and are now assured of at least a silver medal.

And I'm not in Canada's corner simply because Brandie Wilkerson has an amazing a... Er, an amazing athletic ability.

Something I love about McLaughlin--in addition to her faith and her appreciation to be able to represent her country--is her game-face.

We see a lot of athletes mug for the crowds, sometimes leading them in starting a cheer. You watch McLaughlin's face while the on-track introductions are going on and you can't tell if she's got the world watching or is on a track all by herself preparing to go for a personal best in training. She's talking to herself the entire time and Clint Eastwood could learn something from the intensity of her scowl. I think I can guaran-damn-tee that, as nice as she seems off the track, that not one of the other competitors would dare try to disturb or talk to her while she's in game-face mode. If looks could kill...

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    How about Gabby Thomas' 200 meter race? She's a hometown girl too!

View attachment 466846

And by no means a stereotypical "dumb jock." But I don't hold it against her that her undergrad degree is from Harvard. She did get to Texas to do her masters. She deserves a second medal for that smile alone.

Speaking of medals, maybe I should make it a spoiler alert about Noah Lyles...

Lyles failed in his attempt for the 100/200 double. He came in 3rd. He looked ill leaving after the race, and early reports indicate he may have COVID. Even if not and it's the flu or something else, my bet is that he will not run for the U.S. in the 4x100 relay.

Last edited:

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area

The race is done!

McLaughlin broke her own world record...again! Unofficial right now is 50.37; almost 7/10ths better than the previous WR. She crossed the finish line with no one closer than 9 meters. Flippin' amazing.

Edited: Official time is 50.36. Commentator noted that time would have taken gold in Tokyo for the 400 meters flat, without the hurdles. The U.S. takes the gold and silver. The Femke Bol I expected to show up, didn't.

Edited again: Evidently they've adjusted the official time back to 50.37. McLaughlin now owns 6 consecutive world records in the event.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There’s a pole vault or high jump guy, can’t remember which who’s the current WR holder. Every time a WR is set, whoever sets it is paid $50K. He’s been setting that new record .01m at a time. Over the last four years, he’s done it 9 times and says there’s no reason to shatter the record, even though he could. Pays more to just move .01m at a time.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    The race is done!

McLaughlin broke her own world record...again! Unofficial right now is 50.37; almost 7/10ths better than the previous WR. She crossed the finish line with no one closer than 9 meters. Flippin' amazing.

Edited: Official time is 50.36. Commentator noted that time would have taken gold in Tokyo for the 400 meter flat, without the hurdles. The U.S. takes the gold and silver. The Femke Bol I expected to show up, didn't.
    I just watched it live.........she is simply amazing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    There’s a pole vault or high jump guy, can’t remember which who’s the current WR holder. Every time a WR is set, whoever sets it is paid $50K. He’s been setting that new record .01m at a time. Over the last four years, he’s done it 9 times and says there’s no reason to shatter the record, even though he could. Pays more to just move .01m at a time.
    Sounds like a smart guy.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Break dancing? Seriously, freeking breakdancing???

Why don't we move that to the gymnastic's venue and call it something like ... I don't know, floor exercises?

Because the actual gymnasts would laugh, with great mirth and disdain, at the resultant catastrophe.

Worst addition of "sport" in the Olympic Games in my lifetime.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Sydney McLaughlin, a 400 meter hurdler, ran the 2nd leg of the US women's 4x400 final. And she ran a smidge over 47 seconds. For 400 meters. Opening up a massive gap on the field. The US finished with the gold in the second fastest time ever recorded. McLaughlin's run was an American record for the event.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    A well-written discussion of the issue

Top Bottom