• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Kroger advertised Spare Ribs, Pork shoulder roasts (8 pounds) Cut shoulder roasts all for $1.49/pound with my Kroger card! I snagged $40 worth of meat and got almost 50% off with my Kroger card!

Flash

Picked up 10lbs of turkey breasts, drumsticks, and about 20lbs of turkey thighs yesterday at half price. Individual pieces, put in the freezer in preparation for being pucked.

You got me intrigued...

ITMT

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 269

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    It's really starting to sound like the kind of break in Roger needs to worry about is the kind with a bunch of guys with plates and forks in their hands, not the kind of break in that most worry about.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That Pucked meat is so darned juicy and it is a super fast cooker! Boy, it's going to be fun experimenting with it!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thought I better clarify something. We Pucked the 12 pound turkey and made the mistake of removing the rack that the turkey sat upon so it would fit in the oven without touching the top. That was a mistake and it caused the lower dark meat parts to be slightly undercooked. We separated those parts and put them back in the Pucker for 20 minutes. They were done perfectly!

I would caution the cooks out there to get a slightly smaller bird to Puck. That way, you can use the rack properly. Still, that was the most beautiful turkey that I've ever cooked!

10-11 pounds should be the max turkey size. If you need more turkey, cook TWO of them! It only takes 50 minutes each!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been Pucking around to see what the oven would do.

I had an old tube of flaky biscuits in the fridge (expired in June...snicker). and they cooked pretty much how an oven or my now retired toaster oven would work. They came out pretty nice!

Tonight, I took a 2.4 pound pack of Country style ribs (from the $1.49/ pound shopping blitz at Kroger) and covered one of the Puck pans with foil. Set it at 350 degrees under pressure for 30 minutes. I checked it thoroughly with my temp probes and they were all well over 170 degrees.

I brushed BBQ sauce on them and slid them in the Pucker for 5 minutes at 450.

They were great but a tad rubbery. Remember, though, I put NOTHING on them as they went into the Puck. Taste was good and I ate 1/2 of them.

Clean up was easy! After it cooled, I used my hand to rub down the inside of the oven. There was nothing, not even dust inside that Puck! The oven was as clean as when I took it out of the box!

I have a theory about that. Grease & moisture spit out of cooked meats because pressure inside of the meat is higher than pressure inside of the oven. In the Puck, there is higher pressure in the oven so juice and spatters stay inside of the meat.

Cornbread for breakfast tomorrow. Having fun so far.

Flash

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Been Pucking around to see what the oven would do.

I had an old tube of flaky biscuits in the fridge (expired in June...snicker). and they cooked pretty much how an oven or my now retired toaster oven would work. They came out pretty nice!

Tonight, I took a 2.4 pound pack of Country style ribs (from the $1.49/ pound shopping blitz at Kroger) and covered one of the Puck pans with foil. Set it at 350 degrees under pressure for 30 minutes. I checked it thoroughly with my temp probes and they were all well over 170 degrees.

I brushed BBQ sauce on them and slid them in the Pucker for 5 minutes at 450.

They were great but a tad rubbery. Remember, though, I put NOTHING on them as they went into the Puck. Taste was good and I ate 1/2 of them.

Clean up was easy! After it cooled, I used my hand to rub down the inside of the oven. There was nothing, not even dust inside that Puck! The oven was as clean as when I took it out of the box!

I have a theory about that. Grease & moisture spit out of cooked meats because pressure inside of the meat is higher than pressure inside of the oven. In the Puck, there is higher pressure in the oven so juice and spatters stay inside of the meat.

Cornbread for breakfast tomorrow. Having fun so far.

Flash
    We left them in the fridge until the can was swollen or popped open. We NEVER ate them fresh, let them age and pop the can and you are eating Sour Dough biscuits...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I mixed up some Jiffy Cornbread mix and Pucked it this morning. My house is very small (1000 sq feet) so I'm careful about heating up the place with the big oven then paying to AC the temp back down. The toaster oven came in handy for things like corn bread and tube biscuits. The toaster oven had a nasty habit of burning the top, bottom or at the edges.

I mixed the CB up, put it in a shallow pan and slapped it in the Pucker with no special attention. In 15 minutes (using no pressure) it was done perfectly with no burned places! It works much better than a toaster oven!

The Pucker is really growing on me!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The huge amount of food that Bonnie & I Pucked is almost gone. The last batch of Country Style Ribs were a bit rubbery at the ends so I may cut the cooking time a bit. Some marinade and spices should help tenderize them, too. In about 2 days, I'll need to cook some more so those babies will be ready to Puck!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been doing some more Pucking around. Altogether, I had four packages of Country style ribs so I've had plenty to experiment with.

Tonight I tried 2.6 pounds of country style ribs on a rack in the largest of the two pucking pans. I sprinkled some Rib Tickler on them and Pucked them at 350 degrees for 30 minutes under pressure.

I checked internal temperature to make sure they were done, then smeared BBQ sauce on them and pucked them for 5 minutes at 450 to set the sauce.

These ribs were wonderful! The taste was great and the meat was less rubbery than the first batch.

Elevating the ribs on a rack did cause some spatter onto the oven. It took 5 minutes to clean up and the mess was minimal. I used Windex to clean it up. The rack had some deposits but I'm soaking it in soapy water.

SO....Country style ribs from package to table in 35-40 minutes with no hassle. I slapped the stuff into the oven and watched TV.

Two more packs of Country style ribs to come then two slabs of spare ribs are next. Not following any recipes now. Just Pucking around.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For years, I've been sawing spare ribs apart with serrated knives. That is a BAD plan so I ordered a heavy cleaver from Amazon and got a chopping block. The cleaver was $17 and it should make short work of the 6 slabs of ribs that I pounced on in that Kroger Pork-a-thon recently.

The ribs are packaged in heavy plastic bags and the last two slabs are dated 12-25, so I'm cooking the country style ribs first. The other four slabs are frozen.

My signature line says: "You gotta die of something.....it may as well be something that you like!" I'm gonna die of ribs!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Today, I got a wild hair and tossed 6.4 pounds of country style ribs in the Pucker. They got a light sprinkling of Rib Tickler.

In 30 minutes, the thicker ribs were reading 150 degrees internally. That isn't quite well done so I slammed them in the Puck for 10 more minutes. Perfect! The ribs were packed pretty tightly in the Puck pan so that may account for the increased time required.

Then they got some BBQ sauce and 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Yikes! They were great!

I spilled some pan drippings inside the Pucker so cleanup took five minutes. Most of it is still in brand new condition.

I checked my notes on cooking and found that the Pucker runs almost exactly 1/2 of the cooking time required in the conventional house oven.

There is method to my madness. Kroger has chicken parts or whole chickens on sale at 88 cents/pound. Gonna snag some of that and try at least one whole chicken in the Pucker. Tomorrow........Kroger!

This is great fun! The food is quick to prepare and really delicious!

I went out to barn #3 and found my old chopping block. Long ago, they were wood shop projects at the school but it fell into disuse and ended up in the barn. The new cleaver and that block are a perfect combination!

Ordered some cutting board oil to re-do the chopping block. It's a combination of mineral oil and Linseed oil. It hasn't arrived yet.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hit Kroger today for cheap chicken. At 88 cents/pound, I got two whole chickens and a large package of chicken legs. The plan was to roast a whole chicken in the Puck but I fell asleep in my big chair and it was too late to get it started. Maybe tomorrow.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Today was a chicken day!

Whole chicken 5.4 pounds 450 degrees under Puck pressure. We coated the bird exterior with veg oil, rosemary, basil, savory and Canadian Steak seasoning. On rack in the deep Puck dish. The specs called for 40 minutes. The trouble places for cooking a whole bird are at the joints between the leg and the thigh. Those cook last. ONE of those joints was still undercooked. The other was OK. Adjusted cooking time should have been about 45-50 minutes.

Bonnie said this was the best roast chicken she had ever cooked! I said the moisture in the meat even made white meat OK for me. That white meat was juicy.....and I usually hate dry white meat. Bonnie said the wings were good, too. There is NO comparison to the dried up whole chickens that you get at Wally World!

Cleanup was 5-6 minutes. Spatter was not a problem but I spilled a little in the oven. That washed off with Windex. The actual cooking pan was a wipe down.

All totaled....YUM!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    May I also say that this roast chicken was visually beautiful?

I've been researching about others who have used the Pucker. They recommended adding 10 minutes to all meat cooking times. I have not tried that but will experiment with it.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I went to Kroger to snag the whole chickens, I was waiting in the checkout line and was standing by their whole cooked chicken warmer. Their birds looked like Woodpecker carcases.....very small and burned/dried out. I compared that image last night to the beautifully brown, juicy and plump bird that we cooked for almost the same price! Buying food is a bummer compared to what we can conjure up at home!

Bonnie saved the white meat in a bag and I'll make chicken Burritos with it tonight.

Meanwhile, Bonnie took my other whole chicken home with her last night. She'll Puck it at home.

There is a new Baytown grocery story "Jo-Vees" that now occupies the old K Mart building. They had a wonderful selection of fish, good meat prices and 87 cent per pound chicken. I'll swing by there, later today! More chicken to come!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been Pucking around today.

I tried out my new butchers cleaver. I'll never try to saw ribs apart with a knife, again. The cleaver was gravy!

Spare ribs, 5.08 pounds cut into one rib segments. Sprinkled Rib Tickler on them and laid them in the deep Puck pan lined with foil. Cooked 40 minutes at 350 degrees under pressure, brushed BBQ sauce on them and hit them with 450 degrees for 5 minutes to set the sauce.

The thermometers say that 170 degrees internal temperature will give well done ribs. I found that at 170 degrees, there are still some pockets of red, juicy meat. I'll use 180-185 degrees to make sure the pork is well done.

Cleanup was 10 minutes. The pan foil leaked so I had to wash the pan. I spilled a tiny amount on the drip pan at the bottom but Windex took that off.

The ribs were great! Slow cooked & smoked ribs may be better but that takes all day. My Pucked ribs were 45 minutes package to table!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Pucked some cornbread this morning. Cooked at 350 degrees with no pressure, it came out beautifully, took only 15 minutes and had no burned or charred places anywhere!

I cooked every meal at home before I got the Pucker. The difference now is that it's fun, cleanup is easy and it takes less time!

In the summertime, the Puck will really pay off! It will cook without heating up the house too much!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I Pucked another whole chicken today! The last whole chicken had a few flaws in cooking it completely. This one came out great!

Today, I had a 6.33 pound whole chicken, sprayed with vegetable oil then sprinkled with Lemon Pepper. Cooked in the lower shelf of the Pucker at 450 degrees and under pressure for 50 minutes. The bird was on the Puck rack in the deep Puck pan.

There was nothing left undercooked. If fact, it was a great bird! Other than a thumb sized black (burned) place on the top skin, it was perfect!

I don't like white meat, but this was juicy and tender and is without a doubt, the best textured chicken white meat that I ever tasted! It was running with juice and very tender!

Internal temperature varied but in general, it was around 170-180 degrees. For my own experimentation, I'm going to use 180 degrees internal temp for my cooking "Done" mark.

I wish that I had spent more time on seasoning this bird as the taste was OK, not mind blowing. Lemon Pepper is a good seasoning but the purpose of this experiment was to check the cooking of the meat, not the seasoning. A bit of salt & pepper will tune it up.

Note that except for the first Pucked Turkey, I used no recipe. It was all by guess and experimentation.

Oven clean up was 10 minutes. There was a thin coating of oil in the oven so a wipe down with Windex was needed. The deep Puck pan was pretty greasy as I didn't line it with foil. Why?.....I don't know. Warm water & soap with no scrubbing cleaned it up.

Juice remaining in the Puck pan amounted to about 1 1/2 cups of fluid. I dumped it in and old applesauce jar. It would have made splendid gravy!

It was a great bird and there's plenty of meat leftover!

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom