• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I do know how to search. The answer to my question is neither in the archives or answered by either of you. The questions was "Is there tactical or legal advantage to Open carry." I don't care if anyone thinks they "need" open carry or not.

This literally has been discussed here too many times to count.
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Neither the cows nor the coyotes care about my mental state.
    I doubt if they know the difference between concealed and open carry.
    The few folks I do encounter daily don't care either.

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow! Some strong opinions on here. Especially about me. To those of you that answered my question about tactical advantage, thank you. I appreciate your answers. The questions were asked because I don't have enough information for form a solid opinion and I want to learn new things about Carrying in public.

For those folks that consider me a troll, a yankee, or a liberal. You are entitled to believe what you want. You are right that I am new to CCW and pistol shooting. Only a little over a year. That is why I am here asking questions. If I had practical reasons, and some posters gave me some good ones, I might support OC.

As to the assertions that I am a yankee, a liberal, or other things, you are not right on any count. I was born here in Texas, raised on a farm, lived here my whole life, I've been hunting for 40 years, only support conservative candidates, hate liberals, don't trust any politicians at all, and wish to hell that one true patriot anywhere would get elected to office instead of these bought and paid for patsys. I am against any privileges for illegal aliens and any non-citizens in general. They shouldn't be able to buy bread let alone possess a weapon. and I am against all welfare entitlements.

I believe a law abiding citizen should be able to own, posses, and carry a weapon of any kind, anywhere he or she damn well pleases to be able to protect themselves and others. Hell, I'd carry a full auto Glock if I could.

I am quite sure that anyone on this forum is completely competent to carry weapons. But I have family members that shouldn't be able to walk into a sporting goods store, buy a gun and holster, and then walk around on the streets with it. Why, because they are incompetent for anything, they are idiots, and have nasty tempers, and probably would hurt someone unnecessarily. As far as that goes, they shouldn't be allowed to breed either.

I also have the opinion that those that want OC can earn it by getting people to join the fight. That is going to have to be done through salesmanship, not trying to shove it down people's throats with force. Practical advantages and salesmanship probably could get it supported by lawmakers and the the public.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Wow! Some strong opinions on here. Especially about me. To those of you that answered my question about tactical advantage, thank you. I appreciate your answers. The questions were asked because I don't have enough information for form a solid opinion and I want to learn new things about Carrying in public.

You are right that I am new to CCW and pistol shooting. Only a little over a year. That is why I am here asking questions. If I had practical reasons, and some posters gave me some good ones, I might support OC.

I believe a law abiding citizen should be able to own, posses, and carry a weapon of any kind, anywhere he or she damn well pleases to be able to protect themselves and others.

I also have the opinion that those that want OC can earn it by getting people to join the fight. That is going to have to be done through salesmanship, not trying to shove it down people's throats with force. Practical advantages and salesmanship probably could get it supported by lawmakers and the the public.
    You might should have started this thread off with that^^^^^
    Makes a little more sense. :evil:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Not to restoke the fire here, but I could see one advantage. If bad guy walks into a bank and happens to see 2-5 guys with pistols on their hip he might just reconsider. Though it would be funny to see said bad guys face if 5 people where CCing and pulled on him...

I guess my point is that knowing would help prevent crime

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Not to restoke the fire here, but I could see one advantage. If bad guy walks into a bank and happens to see 2-5 guys with pistols on their hip he might just reconsider. Though it would be funny to see said bad guys face if 5 people where CCing and pulled on him...

I guess my point is that knowing would help prevent crime

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I do know how to search. The answer to my question is neither in the archives or answered by either of you. The questions was "Is there tactical or legal advantage to Open carry." I don't care if anyone thinks they "need" open carry or not.

oohhhh lol... You are not making friends fast lmao

Patchntx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    oohhhh lol... You are not making friends fast lmao

Yes, well in retrospect, I should have titled the thread differently. I wanted an answer to the question about tactical or legal advantage only. I specifically did not want to get into answers about why or why not from a philosophical point of view. A tactical advantage to me is one where open carry would allow me to respond to an emergency situation with more effectiveness than concealed carry. Some posters pointed out some very good scenarios where there could be a tactical advantage.

Deterrence is not a tactical advantage, it's a strategic advantage.

A legal advantage was pointed out that it wouldn't be criminal if my gun or holster could be seen. Also a great answer. I was unaware that if my holster or gun accidentally came into view that it would be a criminal violation. That was not covered in my CHL class.

I also thought that recent rulings classified a person's vehicle and extension of their home. I didn't think there was any restriction any more on how you carried inside your vehicle. I'd like to know more about that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yes, well in retrospect, I should have titled the thread differently. I wanted an answer to the question about tactical or legal advantage only. I specifically did not want to get into answers about why or why not from a philosophical point of view. A tactical advantage to me is one where open carry would allow me to respond to an emergency situation with more effectiveness than concealed carry. Some posters pointed out some very good scenarios where there could be a tactical advantage.

A legal advantage was pointed out that it wouldn't be criminal if my gun or holster could be seen. Also a great answer. I was unaware that if my holster or gun accidentally came into view that it would be a criminal violation. That was not covered in my CHL class.

I also thought that recent rulings classified a person's vehicle and extension of their home. I didn't think there was any restriction any more on how you carried inside your vehicle. I'd like to know more about that.

I think that is an incorrect statement. Inadvertent and/or accidental showing of a CC weapon is NOT against the law. Regarding a handgun seen in a vehicle, it is not supposed to be seen by someone walking by, passing by truck or car, etc. (these are not legal definitions, just my interpretations). At this time, my understanding is concealed carry is concealed, in or out of a vehicle. Long guns can be visible.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

No restrictions as long as it is kept concealed......

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    What is the repercussion if you do accidentally show your weapon or holster in public? Is it an offense?

While not an offense, there can be serious, from a 911 MWAG call, to even deadly, repercussions from an inadvertent display of a concealed handgun.

Check out the recent thread on TGT about this incident in FL.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

For those folks that consider me a troll, a yankee, or a liberal. You are entitled to believe what you want. You are right that I am new to CCW and pistol shooting. Only a little over a year. That is why I am here asking questions. If I had practical reasons, and some posters gave me some good ones, I might support OC.

As to the assertions that I am a yankee, a liberal, or other things, you are not right on any count. I was born here in Texas, raised on a farm, lived here my whole life, I've been hunting for 40 years, only support conservative candidates, hate liberals, don't trust any politicians at all, and wish to hell that one true patriot anywhere would get elected to office instead of these bought and paid for patsys. I am against any privileges for illegal aliens and any non-citizens in general. They shouldn't be able to buy bread let alone possess a weapon. and I am against all welfare entitlements.

I believe a law abiding citizen should be able to own, posses, and carry a weapon of any kind, anywhere he or she damn well pleases to be able to protect themselves and others. Hell, I'd carry a full auto Glock if I could.

I am quite sure that anyone on this forum is completely competent to carry weapons. But I have family members that shouldn't be able to walk into a sporting goods store, buy a gun and holster, and then walk around on the streets with it. Why, because they are incompetent for anything, they are idiots, and have nasty tempers, and probably would hurt someone unnecessarily. As far as that goes, they shouldn't be allowed to breed either.

Do you honestly think that not having a CHL would prevent a person with evil intentions from going to Academy right now, buying a gun and holster, and walk out of the store with it illegally concealed? If they are as evil or sick as to shoot someone over a temper tantrum, then that is a person which no law on the books could ever prevent from doing what they are going to do anyway. Laws don't protect you from the actions of others, they only set out the punishment after the fact. Punishing or restricting everyone in hopes of stopping a few bad people just makes no sense.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    We need to distinguish between inadvertent display - which USED TO BE illegal, but the position of Texas has now softened a lot, and brandishing.

So if you reach for the top shelf at ChinaMart and your holster with gun peek out from under your jacket, no biggie anymore (except as mentioned before the MWAG 911 call may ensue, or you may get tackled). But if someone is hassling you and you pull your jacket back to show them the gun, that's brandishing and can get you thrown in the pokey, where you may just set a long spell. Pull the gun to show you got one, and you're not actively defending your life, same thing. Point it at the other guy and you're not defending yourself, even worse.

Good friend had to do the bit with "show the gun under the jacket" when he was filling his Harley and 2-3 yahoos decided he was short enough to intimidate. He is ex-Marine. Wrong choice. He showed them the 1911 on his hip, and they suddenly remembered an appointment they were very late for!

Had they reported him to the cops, may have turned out differently.

So differentiating between brandishing and open carry (at least the image of these) may be one of the sticking points in the legislature (don't know this for a fact). Texas seems really sensitive to folks showing off pistols in public, trying to tame the Wild West image so many people have of us, I reckon.

Top Bottom