Open Carry - Just your opinions. Let's try not to debate just hear everyone out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What level of open carry law do you think is the best for Texas?

• Total voters

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    It was allowed in certain places in Kansas, and I never ever saw anyone OC'ng. That said it would be nice to be an option if I wanted it down here. Its so hot and buying bigger clothes for my fat ass means 4x or 5x to be able to conceal IWB. So I fall back on pocket carry with my 442, certainly not my favorite choice.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    All I have to say is, this country was never about "necessity". It has always been about having the most freedom possible and not needing justification for anything. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I don't care that so many people nowadays are so limp-wristed that the word "gun" is enough to freak them out. If I want to walk down the street open carrying a damn 12" barreled .500sw, I should damn well be able to. It poses no real safety risk, and there is no scientific data out there to prove it does, and it would ultimately go a long way towards breaking through some of this weak-ass, limp-wristed attitude that so many people have nowadays. Part of the problem is we have taken guns out of the mainstream. As it is now, the subject of firearms and self defense are almost considered to be a "dirty" topic that should never be discussed in public and should only be whispered about in private. This is not how it should be. No one should be afraid of the mere mention of those words, or seeing a gun being carried in a lawful and safe manner in public, those fears are just irrational and immature. I would probably very rarely open carry, but regardless I should still have the option.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    All I have to say is, this country was never about "necessity". It has always been about having the most freedom possible and not needing justification for anything. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I don't care that so many people nowadays are so limp-wristed that the word "gun" is enough to freak them out. If I want to walk down the street open carrying a damn 12" barreled .500sw, I should damn well be able to. It poses no real safety risk, and there is no scientific data out there to prove it does, and it would ultimately go a long way towards breaking through some of this weak-ass, limp-wristed attitude that so many people have nowadays. Part of the problem is we have taken guns out of the mainstream. As it is now, the subject of firearms and self defense are almost considered to be a "dirty" topic that should never be discussed in public and should only be whispered about in private. This is not how it should be. No one should be afraid of the mere mention of those words, or seeing a gun being carried in a lawful and safe manner in public, those fears are just irrational and immature. I would probably very rarely open carry, but regardless I should still have the option.

Even if you decide not to Open Carry much or at all, thats something only you should be able to decide. Honestly, I dont carry at all. I dont feel like I need to, but I also have abilities that others dont. I will also admit I have CC a few times because I felt like some shit was fixin to go down. Such as a few years ago when the Mexicans in West Texas decided to have that May Day crap! Not being a patriot to your State and Country brings out my Well Armed Militia Attitude, make a wrong move and Im all over it!!
    Reguardless of how people feel about self defence, they should be able to make a choice that best suits them.

This topic is about Personal Choice. All opinions are valid and dont need debate. Also keep in mind that opinions dont really mean that another person is trying to tell me or anyone else what they should do, its more of why they would or wouldnt.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Well Travis, I would expect nothing less from you or Alan on this subject. You guys eat sleep and drink GUNS 24/7. You are passionate about what you think about them and the right to have and use them. It takes folks of all walks to keep this alive, even if my opinion does not mirror yours. You have to realize that the vast majority of the public does not "live" guns.

I fully respect your right to your opinion but beg to differ with you on the point that somebody with a more moderate stance on the subject is "irrational and immature". Frankly that is bullshit.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I think law abiding citizens,and that means aliens with green cards should be able to carry a handgun, open or concealed without government permission.
    I think that if you can Legally purchase the gun you should be able to carry it.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Carry on planes would have prevented an act of war against our country. Restrictions on carry should be outlawed EVERYWHERE!! That means, College Campuses, Government Buildings, Sports complexes, Post Offices, Restaurants, Bars (if you are not drinking), Grade schools and high schools (for teachers and staff), Employers, Airports and planes. If private business owners have a problem with me legally carrying a firearm, IT IS THEIR PROBLEM!!

Gun free zones are the most dangerous places in the country.

I am for OC, like most of the other states already allow. I would much rather conceal but if I want to I should be able to OC. I'd rather not have to worry how concealed my gun is.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I will say this... Open Carry - Concealed Carry - WHATEVER is deemed legal should be legal practically anywhere in the USA and whatever settles out to be considered legal should be universally enforced in all 50 states.

Some of us may have a differing opinion as far as what we think should be legal. As I've stated, I favor making concealed carry the norm across the board, but I think we all agree the current limitations are pretty ridiculous. If someone is legally able to carry in public, they should be able to carry at school, on a plane, etc.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I will say this... Open Carry - Concealed Carry - WHATEVER is deemed legal should be legal practically anywhere in the USA and whatever settles out to be considered legal should be universally enforced in all 50 states.

Some of us may have a differing opinion as far as what we think should be legal. As I've stated, I favor making concealed carry the norm across the board, but I think we all agree the current limitations are pretty ridiculous. If someone is legally able to carry in public, they should be able to carry at school, on a plane, etc.

The issue of legal across the board stand well witin our constitutional rights. Refering to that, I would also say the method of carry would have to be to.
    Limitations clearly define repression! We dont have to earn the trust of our government! This country aint suspose to be setup that way.

Are you voting on this thread everytime you post??

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    The issue of legal across the board stand well witin our constitutional rights. Refering to that, I would also say the method of carry would have to be to.
    Limitations clearly define repression! We dont have to earn the trust of our government! This country aint suspose to be setup that way.

Are you voting on this thread everytime you post??

HA! Of course not.

I know most of us in here would like to believe that the government should just shut down and let us just take care of shooting all of the bad guys... I know I hate the corrupt bastards about as much as anybody here. BUT - Fact is. we have laws. It's part of our process. Some of the laws might not be what WE think they should be, but unless somebody with a powerful lobby gets heavily involved AND STAYS involved, they aren't likely to change. I hear many beat their chests about their constitutional rights in here but I bet a very tiny percentage have ever gone out and actually gotten involved with the process. I'm not poking at you here. I think you know that.

We can call it repression if we like, but until the law is changed, we are basically pissing in the wind.

My opinion on OC vs CC may be known here, but rest assured I come down on the side of unrestricted gun ownership for those who are qualified to have em.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well Travis, I would expect nothing less from you or Alan on this subject. You guys eat sleep and drink GUNS 24/7. You are passionate about what you think about them and the right to have and use them. It takes folks of all walks to keep this alive, even if my opinion does not mirror yours. You have to realize that the vast majority of the public does not "live" guns.

Fact is, the vast majority of the nation allows some sort of Open Carry, and it is a non-issue.

I can carry a belt-fed M60 down the street legally, but not a pistol. I can carry the same pistol under a jacket, but not in plain view. It's just an example of an outdated law on the books (the OC law dates back to the late 1800s). At a bare minimum, allow CHL permit holders to carry as they deem necessary.

I can think of similar revisions to the Texas knife laws. I can carry an assisted knife, a gun, and a belt-fed M60, but I cannot carry an automatic knife. I don't care for switchblades, but there is absolutely no reason why they should be regulated to only law enforcement and military.

People's immature fear of weapons in general is not a viable reasoning to widespread regulation. I feel we can regulate weapons on a realistic and effective level with common sense laws, but the current statutes aren't common sense.

I would like to see the NFA revised to omit suppressors and short barrel firearms from registration.
    I would like to see Texas accept an open carry policy of some sort.
    I would like to see Texas revise it's entire 46.xx code regarding weapons to something reflective of current liberties.
    I would like to see the 4 basic gun safety rules added to the 4473 as a mandatory test.

I wouldn't even mind seeing some mandatory gun safety training as a requirement to purchase a firearm. Far, FAR too many people are unsafe with firearms. It's almost impossible to go somewhere these days and not have your guard up because some other moron isn't being safe. Public, private, or otherwise. People can bitch, but frankly ... they are welcome to work a day with me to see where I am coming from.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    HA! Of course not.

I know most of us in here would like to believe that the government should just shut down and let us just take care of shooting all of the bad guys... I know I hate the corrupt bastards about as much as anybody here. BUT - Fact is. we have laws. It's part of our process. Some of the laws might not be what WE think they should be, but unless somebody with a powerful lobby gets heavily involved AND STAYS involved, they aren't likely to change. I hear many beat their chests about their constitutional rights in here but I bet a very tiny percentage have ever gone out and actually gotten involved with the process. I'm not poking at you here. I think you know that.

We can call it repression if we like, but until the law is changed, we are basically pissing in the wind.

My opinion on OC vs CC may be known here, but rest assured I come down on the side of unrestricted gun ownership for those who are qualified to have em.

I hear ya. Untill people start letting their Rep. know how they want thing done and demand their rights back, aint nothing going to change. I make a lot of effort. Whats sad is I dont think they are listening!!!
    This thread wont go without notice, I promise that.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    This is rather nit picking but if you want to carry a gun legally, you have to conform to the rules of the Texas CHL, the best of which is being licensed by the Police Check revealing that you are not a criminal nor have been one. That kind of eliminates dope dealers and dopers, gangangers, and other characters whom use violent means of support. So.....If a person is allowed to posess a Texas CHL it should not matter CC or OC. I personally prefer CC but I have seen OC in other locales and did not feel threatened. If CHL holders were allowed OC carry, also, mere printing under the shirt would not be a problem as it possible is now. Naturally the gun haters in their frilly sleeves and collars don't want anybody to carry period...All I can say to them is, "The road to New York and Kalifornia arer thataway" !!

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have said it before in several threads, Calling the reps and telling them is only one step that we need to take the other is a petition (or several petitions) or nothing will ever change. You call them they ignore it or just forget that someone called them but a stack of papers with 10's of thousands of signatures on them is a little harder to pretend doesnt exists.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I called Conaways office again last week to follow up on a letter I sent them.
    The lady I was talking to was very nice. I actually enjoyed talking to her.
    She acked my name and I told her and I also stated I have sent some letter via email and such.
    She told me they always respond to the letters and she has no record of such. I also explained how I have gotton a few letters in return from Reps. that seem to never focus on the topic I asked. Conaways office was one of them. Im looking at the letter right now. I doesnt have a single answer to the questions I asked!!
    Im pretty sure this lady was interested in my goal and was really trying to help. Im also positive Conaway has a good opinion of it also, but I dont think the right people ever get the letter I send.
    Such as the letters I have had sent to me in response to my questions. They never have anything useful in them!
    I actually think the letters are being reviewed by a bunch of worms who could care less or dont want the Reps. seeing them. Fact, if Conaway seen anything I sent him, I more then positive he would give me some answers and show interest.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I really do prefer CC over OC in the regular old day to day world. I think you all know I am anything BUT anti-gun here. I'm not saying OC will cause more problems, just that it's unnecessary for the most part, especially in a city / heavy population area. I think having to have a license to carry is a tad idiotic for a law abiding citizen. We already have laws governing WHO can legally own a gun, that ought to cover it.

We all have opinions.

You're acting as if EVERYONE will carry if open-carry is passed, but that's simply not the case. I suspect that there will be a slight increase in carry overall, but most of the peolpe that will be open carrying will already have a CHL, so no big deal. Look at AZ - a very small percentage of people actually carry on a day-to-day basis.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill...

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok then...

To me open carry is like saying to the bank robbers "I'm a real threat to what you are going to do so shoot me first and go about your business."

Concealed carry always leaves reasonable doubt as to whether anyone in the bank is carrying and willing to defend himself and others.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Another assumption without any basis in actual fact. There hasn't been a SINGLE instance of that happening, and when questioned criminals specifically state that if they see someone carrying in an establishment they're intending to rob, they go someplace else and look for an easier target.

My response to your fear - hogwash.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    You're acting as if EVERYONE will carry if open-carry is passed, but that's simply not the case. I suspect that there will be a slight increase in carry overall, but most of the peolpe that will be open carrying will already have a CHL, so no big deal. Look at AZ - a very small percentage of people actually carry on a day-to-day basis.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill...
    I'm not acting AS IF anything will happen.

It appears that the people who have chimed in here with the opinion that they should be able to walk down the street with a howitzer strapped to their back, six or seven pistols in plain view, and a bowie knife in their teeth simply refuse to realize that anybody might have a different opinion... We live in a Representative Republic. Our laws are generally implemented based on majority rule. Apparently that doesn't compute here.

Hell only about 7 out of 10 members of this completely pro gun group support "no rules" OC. I'd bet that number is more like 20% of the general population.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I dont want no howitzer! Why would I carry something that sounds as gay as that? I dont even know what it is. One handgun would suit me just fine. Maybe two if im going to Elpaso, Houston, Austin, DFW, Waco, or Amarillo.
    Correction, if im going to Elpaso, Lorado, or any border town, I'd want to open carry 2 1911's and have my AR on my shoulder!
    Around Odessa, just my poor attitude and a 45 is enough.
    When I go down to Sanderson, just a smile and a simple howdy will be good enough. But when im on the ranch, my 45's are on the hip unless im working.
    Till someone can make Texas a Civilized place to live thats free of crime, then my opinion will remain. If Texans had their honest Right to bare arms without repression, I think the criminals will become more civilized or move to a more gun restrictive place like Chicago.
    Remember, since GW signed the CHL law into effect, crime in Texas went down 30%+!! Not because people could point a card at a criminal, its because PEOPLE ARE ARMED TO DEFEND THEMSELFS... Criminals aint scared of a card.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    The general population seems to be uninformed about the issue. They should inform themselves and make an educated decision.

Top Bottom