Guns International

Open Carry - Just your opinions. Let's try not to debate just hear everyone out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What level of open carry law do you think is the best for Texas?

• Total voters

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    What level of open carry do you think is reasonable for Texas and why?

I think people should be able to open carry anywhere other than where alcohol is served or on restricted private property. Same goes for concealed carry.
    If somone doesnt want your guns at their place then fine. Bars, you dont have to go there either.
    The decision to either should be a choice left to the individual to decide what best suites them.
    Neither method should be regulated by a lisence, because requiring a lisence to one's self defence is just wrong!
    Constitutional gun laws are the rights we all share.
    except for convicts.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I believe that open carry is the "bearing" part of the "right to bear arms" to which the second amendment is referring.

I think that given the choice many will still carry concealed but without the burden or worry of "being made" in public with legal ramifications.

It's my opinion that open carry will be accepted quickly into the TX public and gun phobias will generally decrease.

Bad guys and those who don't choose to obey the laws will be the same folks who they are now OC or not OCing.

cybrhick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Alvin
    I believe the constitution says what it says. As stated above, I can agree with restriction were alcohol is served, and on private property.

That being said, I go to Virginia every year for a BBQ. Open carry is permitted there, although most carry concealed. I can tell you that those who do open carry get a lot of uncomfortable looks, and harsh comments. My observation has been that the general consensus of the average non-armed public is that concealed is acceptable "if you have to have a gun", but that those who open carry are trying to puff their chest, or incite conflict. I think that mindset is basically just that the general public was not raised in an environment where guns were a way of life. The more folks who open carried, the more accepting folks would become.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    you guys really can't control yourselves. :)

I was having fun reading the other thread and was about jump in when that mean'ole moderator closed it. :(

I personally believe that what people are calling Constitutional Carry should be the law. The reasons given for limiting people’s rights in this case are based on the presupposition that people are bad and need to be controlled. No you or I, it’s all those other people. ;)
    Consider the outrage that would be generated if a law was passed requiring all people to get a blogging license before they could post stuff on the internet. Can be done using the commerce clause. People would lose their rabbit minds if such a law were even seriously suggested. Why? Because it violates the 1st amendment. But we have no trouble stomping all over the 2nd. Why? With a little work and careful strategy a person just by writing can do way more damage than some jackass with a gun. Anybody here hear of Twilight? I rest my case.
    Personally, I’ll get a CHL just to have one, but I don’t see myself carrying anything regardless of my right to do so. Why? Don’t feel the need and if I do start feeling the need I’ll take that as a signal to relocate elsewhere.
    I do think though that if a person could carry a gun without any licensing or training I’d think that person a bit of a moron just begging for something ‘bad’ to happen. My understanding about the CHL training is that it spends a lot of time explaining under what circumstances you can ventilate another person. If bubba just grabs his hog leg on the way out to the quickie mart and bubba doesn’t know the law: bubba can get himself in a heap fixin of trouble real quick.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm not a fan of open carry for the general public as a rule. I don't believe the right to bear arms means it has to be hanging on your hip. In a civilized society, it simply is not necessary in my opinion. I do very much believe that concealed carry is appropriate and should be allowed most anywhere without much restriction.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If we were in a cooler climate, I'd concur. But this is Texas - how in the hell do you propose to tote a .45 under a jacket?

I carry a full sized one daily. Even the last few months of over 100 degree days.

As far the open carry debate; I have mixed feelings. The SC has held that there CAN be reasonable restrictions. I don't know who gets to define reasonable.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If we were in a cooler climate, I'd concur. But this is Texas - how in the hell do you propose to tote a .45 under a jacket?

I really do prefer CC over OC in the regular old day to day world. I think you all know I am anything BUT anti-gun here. I'm not saying OC will cause more problems, just that it's unnecessary for the most part, especially in a city / heavy population area. I think having to have a license to carry is a tad idiotic for a law abiding citizen. We already have laws governing WHO can legally own a gun, that ought to cover it.

We all have opinions.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    It would be nice to be able to take your jacket off in a restaurant with your pistol owb and not go to jail but of course as soon as I left I would put it back on and conceal it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I'm not a fan of open carry for the general public as a rule. I don't believe the right to bear arms means it has to be hanging on your hip. In a civilized society, it simply is not necessary in my opinion. I do very much believe that concealed carry is appropriate and should be allowed most anywhere without much restriction.
    As in the other thread, you are allowing your feelings to influence your beliefs entirely. Do you have any evidence or facts supporting your position? What do you mean by "not necessary"? Members here have listed several practical reasons why OC is preferable to CC, and you have chosen to ignore these posts. Maybe such "uncivilized" ideas are simply beneath you.

Or, are you trying to "encourage debate" again? Get over yourself.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    As in the other thread, you are allowing your feelings to influence your beliefs entirely. Do you have any evidence or facts supporting your position? What do you mean by "not necessary"? Members here have listed several practical reasons why OC is preferable to CC, and you have chosen to ignore these posts. Maybe such "uncivilized" ideas are simply beneath you.

Or, are you trying to "encourage debate" again? Get over yourself.

I guess your thread title is meaningless? Open Carry - Just your opinions. Let's try not to debate just hear everyone out.

Let me guess... You are incapable of letting anything go right? You ASK people for their opinions (without debate) and then you want to take them to task if they don't agree with you. I'm not getting into this again with you. My opinion is clearly stated and I am not inclined to debate it with you. It's obvious that all you want is for people to chime in if the are in lock step with YOUR opinion.

You, Sir are free to get over yourself.

Frankly your antagonistic attitude is boring me.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Let me guess... You are incapable of letting anything go right? You ASK people for their opinions (without debate) and then you want to take them to task if they don't agree with you. I'm not getting into this again with you. My opinion is clearly stated and I an not inclined to debate it with you. It's obvious that all you want is for people to chime in if the are in lock step with YOUR opinion.

You, Sir are free to get over yourself.

Frankly your antagonistic attitude is boring me.

Not at all. I enjoy debating, and I have offered facts and data to back up my opinion. You have not. To summarize: OC is more comfortable than CC, especially in the hot Texas sun. CC requires buying new clothes and wearing baggy shirts. Everywhere OC is legal, crime has not increased and the Liberals have not clamored for increased gun control. Your opinion is that OC is less civilized and is unnecessary. Would you like to offer any facts or evidence to back up your opinion?

In other words, why do you believe OC is unnecessary? What do you mean when you say OC is "less civilized" than CC? These are real questions.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    You know what? I don't like blue cars. Couldn't give me one. I think they are ugly. No need to go around with a bunch of "facts" to back that up. Just so happens we live in a free country where we are welcome to have whatever opinion we want to have.

I've stated my opinion.

You've stated yours.

They don't match.

I don't feel compelled to have to make my case with you. Let it go.

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas
    Ok then...

To me open carry is like saying to the bank robbers "I'm a real threat to what you are going to do so shoot me first and go about your business."

Concealed carry always leaves reasonable doubt as to whether anyone in the bank is carrying and willing to defend himself and others.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bear in mind that many crimes happen in the presence of uniformed LEO's. Meaning that many criminals develop tunnel vision to the extent that you could have a uniformed cop working as a teller an' they'd STILL try to hold 'em up w/o realizing they were cops!

I just want full options...

Top Bottom