• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    Hey guys and gals. Today I applied to renew my TX LTC and got the response email from DPS that they will process and attempt to use my photo and fingerprints from the previous issuing. It cost me $35 plus tax for a Senior for renewal by the way.

I am wondering the success rate of using the previous photo and prints. Anyone have experience or opinions on this?
    And how long to expect to wait until the renewal license is issued? Im thinking DPS might be less busy around the holidays. Nothing in my background should be a hold up.
    Gun Zone Deals

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I renewed online earlier this year and had the same response. I received my renewed LTC in maybe three weeks. I was renewing at the time of first notice in the mail and my original LTC was not expiring for months later. Pleasantly surprised to receive so quickly. Not sure in what cases would someone's existing photo and fingerprints not be good enough. Maybe a just in case thing.

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    I renewed online earlier this year and had the same response. I received my renewed LTC in maybe three weeks. I was renewing at the time of first notice in the mail and my original LTC was not expiring for months later. Pleasantly surprised to receive so quickly. Not sure in what cases would someone's existing photo and fingerprints not be good enough. Maybe a just in case thing.

Thanks for your response JCC. I am older now than the photo that they have on file but my prints would be the same unless they are not up to "current standards" as the email said. I would not expect any problems but with govt you never know. I am wondering about other TGTers experiences. I am hoping to have it in January 2022.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I had the same experience as JCC earlier this year.
    I think the photo’s have to be redone periodically. Fingerprints may depend on if they have an electronic copy or physical prints. I suspect they are trying to move to digital format…but just a guess on that point.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good luck, I renewed my LTC this past year and DPS managed to take over six months to do so.

I know that isn't the norm, but I went a week without being able to legally carry because of it. I suspect you'll get yours within 30-60 days. It can be tracked online:

1638977339074.png

I did not need to do fingerprints for a renewal and as stated, they used my driver's license picture (albeit a black and white version).

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    Yes I am hoping for 60 day turn around at most but we will see. I have little faith in this sort of thing. I think the issuing of TX DLs had even fallen behind in the past year - another problem created by the pandemic.

@majormadmax thanks for reminding me I can track the status online. I will check it in a week or two.

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    I logged in today to the TX website to see the current status after applying for renewal 2 weeks ago. The status says "Print Pending" so I think I'm very close to having my renewal in hand.

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    The TX DPS site tells me today the status is now "Mailed". Yes!!
    I just hope USPS can do their part and not loose it in the Christmas mail.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Wife just got her letter and did the initial computer response.

We are in LA, so the second letter is a bit confusing.

Past time, they made me go to Texas for prints; wouldn't accept those from passport service or our State Police HQ.

Will keep y'all posted.

leVieux

Top Bottom