• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Based on that, you've then got to consider under what circumstances you'd need the weapon - and what your resupply source would be. If you're talking worse-case scenario, then you're talking an invading force (whether foreign or domestic). Domestic forces will have the 5.56, foreign would either have 5.56 or 7.62. Ideally, you should have one of each - this way, you're covering your "bets". For sidearm - well, you're talkin' 9mm for domestic, unless you're dealing with certain specialized troops that tote the .45 still. Foreign - I'd have to dig before answering THAT one. Flip side of that is that if it got THAT bad, I figger I can always pick one up in the field, as it were.
    Having said that....most military groups teach familiarization with both "house" and "foreign" weapons, simply because you never know which one may come to hand in a SHTF scenario. That's why I CARRY a .45 - but OWN many other calibers and styles.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'd say if there is an invading force you'd probably be better off with 9mm handgun wise. Now the rifle I'd just grab in the field somewhere and grab what I've seen the most of. I'd be happy with a lever action 30-30 or something like that for a little while but I'd up grade to a semi auto quickly in that situation.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bubba, if there IS an invading force, I want a long gun FIRST. The hand gun can come later - but I wanna be able to touch 'em before they git within handgun range.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    For sure I wasn't saying other wise. I would rather have a rifle and plenty of ammo than a hand gun and no rifle! I would just have to fight with my bolt gun or my lever gun until the opportunity for a good semi auto rifle/carbine presented it's self.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That'd be the real challenge for me - ideally, I'd be able to go with both - a semi and a bolt-action. Given the choice of one over the other, though, I'd likely opt for the semi.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I look at it like this. If things are looking that bad then I need something that will do 100 -200 yards and 10 feet. and a semi would cover that base pretty well. A bolt gun could with iron sights but like it would wind up laying next to rather than being fired.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - but there's nothing more demoralizing (and better at stopping threats before they're close enough to discern your defensive position(s) than bein' able to reach out 5-600 yards and "touching 'em".

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    BM59s are 7.62/.308. I'm not a big fan of the commercial M14/M1A, with updates the M1 has all the advantages of the M14 with the exception of easy scope mounting. Real M1s are forged 8620 tool steel not cast 4XXX steel and don't explode, and cost is generally lower.
    Eli

Eli, someone brought in a really good condition BM59 yesterday at work. It's perhaps the only Italian rifle I care to own.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Eli, someone brought in a really good condition BM59 yesterday at work. It's perhaps the only Italian rifle I care to own.
    Was he selling? If so, I hope you bought it! They're fantastic, I'm trying to have a friend machine some adapters to let them take $21 M14 magazines instead of the $75+ BM59 magazines. I'm not much for Italian stuff either, but these are what the US should have issued. They are TOUGH, fantastic rifles, that served the Italian military in to the 90s and beyond!

Eli

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I just googlefooed this rifle and I have to say I like it! I got the pic just in case there is anyone else wondering what it looks like. LOL!
    M1G_Con.gif

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    I've been thinking about either an AR15 built on a Vltor VIS upper and having bolts, barrels, and mags available in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62x39. That way I basically have all bases covered and can adapt my rifle to whatever ammunition I happen to have at the moment. I'm also considering a Bushmaster ACR, but who knows when that will come out and how the final product will actually be. I've lost some excitement about it the longer they've delayed it.

Top Bottom