• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I've been thinking about that concept lately, and I agree with it. I think a man should have one rifle that he is proficient with that he can use to defend life, liberty, and property.
    My question is why do you have to be proficient with only one gun?:confused:

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I'd have to say no, you can be proficient with several, but it's hard to master more than one of any given type.
    But the original question was proficient not mastery.
    So stipulated that mastery is harder than proficiency.
    IMO, the more guns and/or types of guns that you are familiar with then should the occasion ever arise and you needed to use a different type of gun ~ IE: someone else's gun ~ you do not want to be fumbling with it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I understand the concept - and my go-to is my Remington 700BDL in 7mm mag. Near or far, whatever I'm after is owned. From there, it's pretty much anyone's game - have 'em from .22 to .58 in long guns. For pistols..... 45 does it for me. Those that've seen my safe know that ah own a couple of 'em, as well as one (or mebbe two) other calibers - but the 45 is the one that'll be in my hand if somethin' goes "bang" in the night!

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As much as I like my AR-15, if I were to only have one rifle it would be my 1939 Mosin Nagant 91/30. It's powerful, accurate and reliable. I've worked mine over a little for a smoother trigger pull as well.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    My M-1 Garand. But in fairness to all other rifles, it is the first and only "real" rifle (versus the 22lr's) that I own...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    THe M1 aint no slouch GM. IT may be the only big boy rifle you have RIGHT NOW, but learn it and you will find that that is the one you go for when things seem like they might go bump at midnight.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    One RIFLE, hmmmmm I'll take my SOG Operator 6 "AR-15" which I use/shoot almost weekly.

One PISTOL, hmmmmm I'll grab the Glock 19

I am a believer in the Brian Hoffner Theory "One Warrior, All Weapons"

I carry a Springfield EMP 9mm "1911 Style" - totally different than the polymer guns, But I can operate her in my sleep.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    i have a go to gun a trapper model 92 in 357mag i carry it daily where ever i go, but i am just as at home with any weapon i own any one i have is a extension of my hand or arm when i pick it up, i know them all well and don" have to think about what im doin or where is the safty. I know not every one has the time or ability to do so but i have and im quite sure there are many more gun owners out there that are the same. if you own only 1 learn all you can about it and how to use it, if you own more and intend to use them for any reason then do the same with them as well, because a gun you don't know how to use is as useless as an unloaded gun and more dangerous if it is loaded and the user doesn't know how to use it or shoot it well.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    My M-1 Garand. But in fairness to all other rifles, it is the first and only "real" rifle (versus the 22lr's) that I own...
    I'd agree on that Garand comment, I think mine would be my Beretta BM59 variant or an AKM. I'm much more familiar with the smaller AKM, but would prefer the Beretta if cheaper magazines would work!

Eli

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    My one gun, if I had to put it that way, would be the M14A2 in my safe. It's a little heavy and the ammo is a bit hefty too, but that wasn't in the considerations. It will group 3 inches at 600 yards which is probably better than I can shoot now. I guess if I needed to grab one and bug out, it might be the AR since I can carry more ammo for the given weight.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    If I had to pick just one rifle, it would have to be my M1A SuperMatch. I know it is heavy but I love it. Next choice would be the National Match just because it is lighter but nearly as accurate.

jracca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    DFW
    I'd agree on that Garand comment, I think mine would be my Beretta BM59 variant or an AKM. I'm much more familiar with the smaller AKM, but would prefer the Beretta if cheaper magazines would work!
    Eli

Just my advice, worth what you paid, but you really ought to consider getting the one you like. Its amazing that people will drop 400-500 for a weapon and not want to spend 100-200 on magazines.

I always buy my weapons with no less than 7 magazines and usually 1000 rounds of ammunition. If I can't afford to buy it with 7 mags and 1000 rounds of ammo, then I can't afford it yet (I mad an exception for the 50BMG just because 1000 rounds might be a bit much in 50, I would also make an exception for a small caliber backup pistol, you probably don't need 1000 rounds of 32ACP or 380)

On a related note, I've seen plenty of long range $1000+ rifles with $200 scopes which is ridiculous.

On the topic of the thread, my rifle is my Remington R25 in 308. I've had it a little less than 2 years, but so far it just handles well for me. Its a tackdriver with 168gr Federal GMM and it really goes just right to my shoulder and has the familiar AR ergonomics. Plus its camo and camo weapons shoot straighter and make you more attractive women, everyone knows that :)

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Just my advice, worth what you paid, but you really ought to consider getting the one you like. Its amazing that people will drop 400-500 for a weapon and not want to spend 100-200 on magazines.

I always buy my weapons with no less than 7 magazines and usually 1000 rounds of ammunition. If I can't afford to buy it with 7 mags and 1000 rounds of ammo, then I can't afford it yet (I mad an exception for the 50BMG just because 1000 rounds might be a bit much in 50, I would also make an exception for a small caliber backup pistol, you probably don't need 1000 rounds of 32ACP or 380)
    Issue is there aren't any BM59 magazines. I'm working on a way to convert it to take M14 magazines ($21/ea) instead of BM59 magazines ($75+/ea *IF* you can find any).

Eli

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    .30-06 isn't going to fit in an M14 mag. I suppose it would work if you got a .308 barrel for a Garand to convert the rifle over, but then you might as well buy an M1A.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    .30-06 isn't going to fit in an M14 mag. I suppose it would work if you got a .308 barrel for a Garand to convert the rifle over, but then you might as well buy an M1A.
    BM59s are 7.62/.308. I'm not a big fan of the commercial M14/M1A, with updates the M1 has all the advantages of the M14 with the exception of easy scope mounting. Real M1s are forged 8620 tool steel not cast 4XXX steel and don't explode, and cost is generally lower.

Eli

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I like the idea, too. I've counseled friends to quit buying more pistols, and spend the money on ammo & range time instead. My trouble is that I can't decide which rifle to buy... I like the idea of having something hugely common/universal for easy access to parts & ammunition, which would be the AR15. BUT I have a hard time getting excited about the 5.56 round. If I was in the military & had to hump lots of ammo on my back, I'm sure that'd warm my heart - but I don't. Seems like the 6.8SPC would be a much better compromise for civilians, but who knows it that round will wind up having legs. 7.62 seems like overkill in my big city environment - I'm not a hunter, so the only other application - picking off humans at 300+ yards - just isn't a high priority for this civilian.

Top Bottom