Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Remember that any other mod may act differently from me. We're all independent here with equal levels of authority. Bringing different viewpoints to moderation and occasionally having them clash makes for a more robust admin team with more respect for each other. Many other forums divide mods into competing camps, assigning individuals to only have authority over particular parts of the forum. I don't know a way to turn a forum into a worse mess than having mods at war with each other but I've seen it happen many times. If any mod disagrees with what I'm about to say, let me know. To everyone else, know that I'm writing this without consultation with the rest of the staff. It's all on me.

I try to be transparent in the moderation process. To most folks, it just looks like I talk too much and that's valid criticism. Generally, though, if I do something the reasoning will be clear. Sure, there are things that we mods discuss that have no business being discussed openly. Unless you've modded a lot in the past you may not realize that the process is sometimes like making sausage or law. We turn out the best result we can but the process is often ugly. As for myself, transparency makes my mistakes obvious so that I can apologize, ask for forgiveness, and move on. So I have my selfish motives for being this way and I'll stick to this course until I screw up so badly that the rest of the staff and the owner remove me.

In sum, collectively, we do the best we can.

Trey, yes, you've been an ass...but you're not alone in that. Others have egged you on.

This recent unpleasantness has been, I think, unique. A little asshole-ish-ness here and there kept being passed around like a hot potato. Member A would file a report on Member B who would file a report on Member C who would file a report on Member D who would file a report of Member A in an endless circle-jerk of middle-school-level whining about how the other guy was a meanie and hurting everyone's feelings. (And, no, of course no one used that language. Everyone tried to sound reasonable and measured and mostly succeeded but the underlying "Shut him up because I don't like what he's saying" message was consistently obvious.)

I don't see a single post (No, don't send me examples!) that crossed so far over a line that a permaban was justified. That was my error; I should have handed out several short bans a long time ago. Allowing the situation to fester clearly damaged the board; we lost a good and valued member over this. That's at least partially on me and I grieve over that result.

As I hope everyone can tell, for a variety of reasons, I'm pissed.

I was hoping to let that feeling pass over time so that I didn't do anything rash. After all, I didn't think I could get more pissed. That wasn't conceivable.

Well, it wasn't conceivable until I woke up this morning and saw this:

I know I'm the bad guy now and I'll own it. I have met tons of great people in person. Far from a keyboard warrior. Those who have met me know this. Unfortunately of the hundreds who have met me that means my personal phone number is out there. I received 46 blocked calls in the middle of the night. That was cute, but these messages of threats I won't stand for. I'm going to find out who you are. View attachment 472346View attachment 472349View attachment 472351

Despite what I may think of Trey's posting history, despite how much I mourn the loss of MountainGirl, threats like this are blindingly obvious as being a bridge way, way, way too far.

It would be better for the person who wrote those texts to immediately own up to their behavior but I'll leave the choice to them. So -
    • Whoever texted this shit to Trey, contact me. I will deactivate your account and you don't have to suffer the ignominy of being officially banned. I won't publicly reveal who you are; I'll just be relieved you left. Of course, the rest of the staff will know and we'll set up our (admittedly, imperfect) safeguards to prevent you from joining again under another name.
    • Trey, if you can figure out who it is, send me the info. I'll ban the account and be public about the reason. Keep in mind, though, I'm not protecting you; I'm protecting Texas Gun Talk. Protecting yourself falls on you; you still have the option to take whatever legal action you deem necessary.
    • Trey, if it turns out you faked those texts (I'm a less-than-trusting soul, these days.), you will be banned. That's not an accusation; I'm just covering all the bases.
    Threats of this type, behavior of this type, will not be tolerated even though they didn't happen in the pages of Texas Gun Talk.

We've only had to do this (banning someone for off-board behavior) once in the past, iirc. The staff did it in secret and almost no one noticed. I would have preferred to do the same this time. However, this time I'm being public because we don't yet know who it is. Trey, I wish you had PM'd me so we could have handled this discreetly. Unfortunately, that's water under the bridge.

Bottom line - I want that member gone and shunned.

Anyone who can help that happen, please PM me with verifiable details. Everybody else, keep your speculations to yourself.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    @Ben, and all ~

I stopped in to read a bit, and discovered a shitstorm I inadvertently created. Absolutely my bad.

I did NOT leave because of @TreyG-20 's post. He was an ass, yes, but I realized through his post that my time in TGT was coming to an end anyway and, seeing the open door, I decided no reason to delay it. My post should have been clearer. I am sorry.

My time online anywhere, is ending. I'm losing my eyesight. I told @Hoji last winter, when he sent me his SciFi mags, and asked him to keep it private. It's been coming on for a while now, I've posted about the decline in the NSFW thread, and it's devolved enough that a few weeks ago I gave up shooting, gave my guns to my husband - and I posted about that as well. My recent search for a new computer, with a bigger screen, is on hold also for now. Posting is very difficult, even the Good Morning :) sharings that brought me so much joy: thank you to all who do/did that.

There is so much wonderful information to be found, here; I'll try and stop in to read as I can but it wont be often. I changed my settings to all Private - because I won't be able to respond to PMs. I'm thankful for everyone's kindness, good heart, and suggestions/ideas re my various requests, but mostly I cherish your interactions - which I never took personally. If ideas aren't challenged then it's nothing but an echo chamber and who needs that.

Thank you, Ben, for all you've done; thank you everyone, it's been a real pleasure for me to be here. I'm not totally gone...just kinda hovering, lol. If something outlandish happens, I'll dive in with my smart-assery, if I can. :)

Just two more things:

"Hoser" is a playful affectionate term; I wrongly assumed y'all knew that, and
    In the words of my absolute favorite TGT'er - "Less talking. More shooting."

Warmest regards, Rene aka MountainGirl

Coon

Changing from glory to glory
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    @Ben, and all ~

I stopped in to read a bit, and discovered a shitstorm I inadvertently created. Absolutely my bad.

I did NOT leave because of Trey-G's post. He was an ass, yes, but I realized through his post that my time in TGT was coming to an end anyway and, seeing the open door, I decided no reason to delay it. My post should have been clearer. I am sorry.

My time online anywhere, is ending. I'm losing my eyesight. I told @Hoji last winter, when he sent me his SciFi mags, and asked him to keep it private. It's been coming on for a while now, I've posted about the decline in the NSFW thread, and it's devolved enough that a few weeks ago I gave up shooting, gave my guns to my husband - and I posted about that as well. My recent search for a new computer, with a bigger screen, is on hold also for now. Posting is very difficult, even the Good Morning :) sharings that brought me so much joy: thank you to all who do/did that.

There is so much wonderful information to be found, here; I'll try and stop in to read as I can but it wont be often. I changed my settings to all Private - because I won't be able to respond to PMs. I'm thankful for everyone's kindness, good heart, and suggestions/ideas re my various requests, but mostly I cherish your interactions - which I never took personally. If ideas aren't challenged then it's nothing but an echo chamber and who needs that.

Thank you, Ben, for all you've done; thank you everyone, it's been a real pleasure for me to be here. I'm not totally gone...just kinda hovering, lol. If something outlandish happens, I'll dive in with my smart-assery, if I can. :)

Just two more things:

I'm praying for, young lady. Gonna miss your smart- assery.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Nope. You did not create it and it's not on you. A lot of folks (myself included) were pissed because it seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back for your time here.

As to the computer - have you talked to your eye doctor about solutions? There are devices out there for making computer screens and printed materials more readable to an extent that might surprise you. I hope one takeaway from this drama is that you see how much you're valued by your friends here.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thank you, Ben, for all you've done;
    I appreciate you and your response here so very much. I didn't realize your reasons.

Let me make one more offer. It's been a while but I've set up "low-vision workstations" for the visually impaired many times. I would need to read up on the current state of the art but I''d be happy to help any way I can.

If you give me permission, I'll send you an email at the address you used when you signed up to TGT. We can discuss this entirely outside of TGT.

Good luck in the future, a future I hope I can help you with.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    @Ben, and all ~

I did NOT leave because of @TreyG-20 's post. He was an ass, yes, but I realized through his post that my time in TGT was coming to an end anyway and, seeing the open door, I decided no reason to delay it. My post should have been clearer. I am sorry.

Just two more things:

Hope you can return often and I'm sorry for your eyesight problems.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I appreciate you and your response here so very much. I didn't realize your reasons.

Let me make one more offer. It's been a while but I've set up "low-vision workstations" for the visually impaired many times. I would need to read up on the current state of the art but I''d be happy to help any way I can.

If you give me permission, I'll send you an email at the address you used when you signed up to TGT. We can discuss this entirely outside of TGT.

Good luck in the future, a future I hope I can help you with.
    PM sent, thanks ~

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    @Ben, and all ~

Just two more things:

IMG_3030.jpeg

Top Bottom