ft worth tx
    IMG_1840.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It’s throatpunch Thursday and I really need it to be Whiskey Wednesday again.

I asked a fundamental competence-level question of someone who works for me and realized that person can repeat the right phrases but effectively has no idea how to do the job.

This person has a Bachelor’s in the discipline and 5 years experience in their role.

ETA: no, I’m not surprised. I’m not even disappointed.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It’s throatpunch Thursday and I really need it to be Whiskey Wednesday again.

I asked a fundamental competence-level question of someone who works for me and realized that person can repeat the right phrases but effectively has no idea how to do the job.

This person has a Bachelor’s in the discipline and 5 years experience in their role.

I'm disappointed, not so much in this person, but in the motivation of the public in general.

I see it in the vast majority of my students.

I went to college in my later twenties, and having been in menial jobs that were leading to nowhere, I was motivated to better myself, and that happened almost immediately after leaving college.

Now I may have been more motivated than most in my class, but they were still motivated. It's almost rare to see that now days. Since I only started teaching 10 years ago, I'm not sure when the lack of motivation started since I graduated, but certainly COVID heightened it.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

This person probably expects us to pay for the student loans they acquired while learning little or nothing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm disappointed, not so much in this person, but in the motivation of the public in general...
    This is the root of my particular comment. This particular employee has worked for a manager that has beaten motivation out of the team. The problem is the manager is incompetent and fears being upstaged by subordinates.

The manager is on a short list.

This person probably expects us to pay for the student loans they acquired while learning little or nothing.
    In this case, no. We offer a very generous education benefit along with reduced rates with partner universities. The employee wants to do well but has never been coached how to do better. The manager is literally requires use of a technique developed in 1969 that’s irrelevant to the product we deliver today.

It would be equivalent of handing you a stick welder and asking you to make me a composite structure. The employee knows how to fabricate, but was forced to use a welder for a composites job. They can tell me what steps are needed but they’ve always been told the welder is the tool they have to use so they *think* they’ve figured out how to weld fiberglass and vacuum formed composites because they’ve been told that what their output is.

I can’t be mad at that.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is the root of my particular comment. This particular employee has worked for a manager that has beaten motivation out of the team. The problem is the manager is incompetent and fears being upstaged by subordinates.

The manager is on a short list.

In this case, no. We offer a very generous education benefit along with reduced rates with partner universities. The employee wants to do well but has never been coached how to do better. The manager is literally requires use of a technique developed in 1969 that’s irrelevant to the product we deliver today.

It would be equivalent of handing you a stick welder and asking you to make me a composite structure. The employee knows how to fabricate, but was forced to use a welder for a composites job. They can tell me what steps are needed but they’ve always been told the welder is the tool they have to use so they *think* they’ve figured out how to weld fiberglass and vacuum formed composites because they’ve been told that what their output is.

I can’t be mad at that.
    Sounds like a government job. Saw so much of that in management working for the Navy.

Top Bottom