IMG_7308.gif

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I was scrolling by on some news feed and I missed the details. What's this about Canada considering a law to make hate speech punishable by life in prison? The story said it was basically a narrow set of circumstances that would be required, specifically, publicly advocating for genocide. If someone does that, sure, they're contemptible. But life in prison?

There were also a bunch of lesser examples of hate speech for which you could be sentenced to up to 5 years, IIRC.

All I can find at the moment is an article behind a Fox paywall titled:

ETA - I found a too-detailed rundown of the situation from a Canadian lawyer. The bottom line is that Justin Trudeau is trying to bring back a law Canada once had that allowed complaints against anyone for hate speech to be adjudicated by a human rights commission, at great expense to the accused. The process was the punishment. There are a few of the super-woke who want to bring it back even though it was repealed years ago due to rampant abuse by complainants who just wanted to cause trouble for people with whose politics they disagreed.

It's a fascinating video if you're into how constitutions don't protect free speech in other countries, even ones we consider semi-normal. It's probably goes way too far into the weeds to appeal to anyone reading this but here's the video if you're weirdly interested in this stuff like me.

Ben, thank you for this. Having lived in the NW for decades, half of which were in western Canada, I watched the vid with much interest...but mostly because the legal maneuverings there undoubtedly inform those who would attempt this insanity here.

Three short points, two from the video, the last from personal experience:
    1.The cases in the early 2000's were brought by Muslims, not super-woke. (unknown who's bringing it back now)
    2.The extremely liberal progressive Cdn law professor said this Bill is unnecessary and excessively dangerous.
    3. With the exceptions of their government structure, and it's not that dissimilar from ours, the people are like us: liberal cities, conservative rural, ready to help neighbors, ready to fight - albeit with a much lower boiling point.

If by chance you ever end up in Canada for long term, head for the Province of Alberta, aka Texas North. They frequently tell their fed gov to shove it and they ignore the dictates... amazingly without consequences.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom