• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Seems obvious but one thing I didn't think about mini-splits in a multi zoned installation, a three zone for example, has one compressor unit outdoors that services all three inside units. All three need to be in a compatible mode or they conflict.
    An extreme example would be if one is in Heat and one in Cool, the outdoor component can only perform one of those functions at a time. What mine does is sort of a round robin, if they're in the same mode it works like you'd expect, servicing all three simultaneously.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Seems obvious but one thing I didn't think about mini-splits in a multi zoned installation, a three zone for example, has one compressor unit outdoors that services all three inside units. All three need to be in a compatible mode or they conflict.
    An extreme example would be if one is in Heat and one in Cool, the outdoor component can only perform one of those functions at a time. What mine does is sort of a round robin, if they're in the same mode it works like you'd expect, servicing all three simultaneously.
    Wut?? It that ^^ is true, it blows my understanding of mini-splits all to hell.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I have two mini-splits, one is a three zone, the other is a single zone. The "high wall" units on the multizone display a 'CF' code (conflict) if one calls for heat and one of the others calls for cooling at the same time. It will pick one then switch to the other back and forth until the conflict is resolved.
    It's rare that that would happen but the guest room was cold and Mrs Whistler raised the temp in there. Both units were in "auto" but were responding to different imperatives.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I have two mini-splits, one is a three zone, the other is a single zone. The "high wall" units on the multizone display a 'CF' code (conflict) if one calls for heat and one of the others calls for cooling at the same time. It will pick one then switch to the other back and forth until the conflict is resolved.
    It's rare that that would happen but the guest room was cold and Mrs Whistler raised the temp in there. Both units were in "auto" but were responding to different imperatives.
    Okay, I believe you.
    I thought mini splits were a one-trick pony.
    Sigh... I've so much to learn. Thanks for your reply.

Heading off... niters all.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    It stills works more or less as you'd expect in terms of multiple temperature zones, it just has to switch back and forth. The difference is you notice an error code (CF) on one and it takes it a little longer to effect a large temperature difference.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    tenor.gif

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Morning....

Just search for portable a/c.

I thought about a portable A/C for our bedroom. It gets really warm during the day, and it's the room farthest from the A/C unit and thermostat. We went with a cooling fan instead. Rigging the window for the A/C exhaust was going to let more outside hot air inside, making it a losing battle. I also use the frozen gel packs and refrigerated water in the water tank at night, Gets the room quite comfortable.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cz315
    Top Bottom