• ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Quite pleasant out now.

Alex, I'll take "Phrases You Won't Hear Me Say Till October" for $500.

Daily double.gif

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Lordy. It's only 81F out there but 85% humidity?!?

It's like walking through soup.
    I had heat exhaustion bordering on heat stroke during our recent power outage that lasted a couple of days. At one point, I drove somewhere and realized the power was back on outside my neighborhood. I went to the gym and they had power but no A/C. The place was like an oven. I didn't want to work out in that so I decided to just take a shower.

Bad idea.

The private shower rooms were the hottest places in the building and so humid my sweat couldn't evaporate. Nausea set in after a few minutes. By the time I got out, I had to sit in my truck with the air blasting, fighting the need to throw up, for about a half hour until I trusted myself enough to drive home.

Humidity that high in high temps can hit people faster than they realize.

TX14239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2016
    I went to the la Vernia city festival to see my Gene Reeves play some honkytonk music! I was LITERALLY there for about 9 minutes, and was DRENCHED in sweat. I’m not exaggerating AT ALL. My shirt was literally stuck to my skin like I had been standing in the pouring rain.

And after an hour, my shirt was starting to dry, and my skin was damn near dry, hot, and I had a huge migraine, so I came dangerously close to having a really bad day.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I had heat exhaustion bordering on heat stroke during our recent power outage that lasted a couple of days. At one point, I drove somewhere and realized the power was back on outside my neighborhood. I went to the gym and they had power but no A/C. The place was like an oven. I didn't want to work out in that so I decided to just take a shower.

Bad idea.

The private shower rooms were the hottest places in the building and so humid my sweat couldn't evaporate. Nausea set in after a few minutes. By the time I got out, I had to sit in my truck with the air blasting, fighting the need to throw up, for about a half hour until I trusted myself enough to drive home.

Thanks, Ben.

That's good info right there, especially for me who is really trying to figure out ways to deal with this, without A/C, if it comes to that. You see, it's not that I just don't like humidity, I physically deteriorate in it. So much so that in my 20's - I had to choose between staying in humid Nebraska with people I love (family) or moving alone to the dryer clime of the northern Rockies to stay alive. I missed them like hellfire, but really had little choice.

I made a different choice, this time, and here I'll stay. Now I have to figure out how to survive, if it comes to that, because it's even worse down here. All those years up north, I either forgot what it was like, or it was buried like a bad dream.

Totally my bad.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Thanks, Ben.

That's good info right there, especially for me who is really trying to figure out ways to deal with this, without A/C, if it comes to that. You see, it's not that I just don't like humidity, I physically deteriorate in it. So much so that in my 20's - I had to choose between staying in humid Nebraska with people I love (family) or moving alone to the dryer clime of the northern Rockies to stay alive. I missed them like hellfire, but really had little choice.

I made a different choice, this time, and here I'll stay. Now I have to figure out how to survive, if it comes to that, because it's even worse down here. All those years up north, I either forgot what it was like, or it was buried like a bad dream.

Totally my bad.

It's just as dangerous to those of us who are "used to" it...frankly I don't think anyone can really be used to humidity like we have here. I have no freaking idea how my ancestors dealt with it...without air conditioning...dressed from head to foot in wool suits even in the summer. My advice is to make sure that AC keeps working no matter what.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It's just as dangerous to those of us who are "used to" it...frankly I don't think anyone can really be used to humidity like we have here. I have no freaking idea how my ancestors dealt with it...without air conditioning...dressed from head to foot in wool suits even in the summer. My advice is to make sure that AC keeps working no matter what.
    ac is the only thing that makes humidity tolerable!

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

Bad idea.

I was on a jobsite many, many moons ago and watched one of the guys from the other trades just flat out melt from the heat. Me and another guy from our company were on stilts when we watched it happen, which meant there was no way we could get to him quick enough. Luckily, a guy from yet, another trade happened to see it as well. Guy was in his mid/late twenties and appeared to be in decent shape but it was just too damned hot and muggy. We were inside a box of a building with little to no real air flow on a hot and humid day, even with the various fans we all had, it wasn't enough. If I remember right, all of us were trying to get things knocked out for a long holiday weekend, and just not taking the breaks we all should have.

There were a few times, whether I was at a job, or doing things in my "backyard", when my body stopped sweating. I've learned to pay attention to that, quick, and get into a cooler area and get some fluids in me. And if possible, a bit of salt, Gatorade, Pedialyte, Ensure, or something to get the electrolytes back into my system. It's a very disconcerting feeling to suddenly feel chilled in 100 degree plus temperatures.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I was on a jobsite many, many moons ago and watched one of the guys from the other trades just flat out melt from the heat. Me and another guy from our company were on stilts when we watched it happen, which meant there was no way we could get to him quick enough. Luckily, a guy from yet, another trade happened to see it as well. Guy was in his mid/late twenties and appeared to be in decent shape but it was just too damned hot and muggy. We were inside a box of a building with little to no real air flow on a hot and humid day, even with the various fans we all had, it wasn't enough. If I remember right, all of us were trying to get things knocked out for a long holiday weekend, and just not taking the breaks we all should have.

There were a few times, whether I was at a job, or doing things in my "backyard", when my body stopped sweating. I've learned to pay attention to that, quick, and get into a cooler area and get some fluids in me. And if possible, a bit of salt, Gatorade, Pedialyte, Ensure, or something to get the electrolytes back into my system. It's a very disconcerting feeling to suddenly feel chilled in 100 degree plus temperatures.
    you have to becareful heat exhaustion or heat stroke can be deadly!

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've had to work in many very hot situations. Welder, go figure. Some areas were as much as 150° (Those areas had a stay time). We tried many things to hydrate. While many types of drinks helped, surprisingly watermelon seemed to get me out that funky feeling of dehydration quicker.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Thankfully I've never gone far enough into heat exhaustion to feel that chill. That's dangerous territory.
    When I get started on a project/chore/task, I'm often like a bulldog with a bone, and won't stop until done. But, that doesn't mean I'm not drinking water/gatorade before. during, and after said project. It does mean, however, that no matter how acclimated you think you are, you're not. That kind of thing can, quite easily, and quickly, sneak up on you.

Let's just say, I don't push myself near as hard as I used to. Smaller pieces of the project are now allowed to get done at a slower place.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    When I get started on a project/chore/task, I'm often like a bulldog with a bone, and won't stop until done. But, that doesn't mean I'm not drinking water/gatorade before. during, and after said project. It does mean, however, that no matter how acclimated you think you are, you're not. That kind of thing can, quite easily, and quickly, sneak up on you.

Let's just say, I don't push myself near as hard as I used to. Smaller pieces of the project are now allowed to get done at a slower place.

Yeah, I've got some pretty set-in-stone rules for myself with the forge. When it's summer I expect to drink two 16 oz bottles of water per hour, and work in 30 minute stretches with a cooldown (turning the forge off and sitting by the fan while I drink water) in between. Even then, I don't do more than 2 hours of actual work at a time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If your AC isn't working and you need to cool off. You might run yourself a cold/cool bath
    tub of water and soak in it, or get a towel soaked in cold water and wrap it around your neck.
    In the sort of urgent situation where those sorts of solutions are contemplated, I tend to rely on Everclear. It used to be (I haven't bought any in a long time) a fairly affordable way to have very pure alcohol that would evaporate off the skin and cool you, no matter the heat.

Seriously, there have been times when a wipe-down with a cloth soaked in Everclear every hour or so was the difference between recovery and calling an ambulance. Both my mom and sis have been sick enough to need the extra cooling. My needs have been less acute but you better believe soaking a couple of paper towels in Everclear and quickly slathering it all over my bald head, chest, back and arms has brought me to a much more comfy place in just moments.

It's also good for swimmer's ear.

I'll never be without a bottle of Everclear in my house.

Top Bottom