• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Just saw PMC 55gr .223 840 count of rounds for $714 (.85 per round) on SGAMMO.com. With tax and shipping, it .94 per round.

Academy today had Browning .223 at for .46 per round.

I think I can wait until prices come down again.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    While the ammo companies are cranking out all they can, this $1 billion claim is inflated. What I mean by that is during the last ammo shortage, almost every company, from Mom & Pop to ranges to big box stores inflated their "needs" hence padding their orders. If they only need 3k round a week for their range to operate under normal circumstances, they are putting in orders for 10x that in hopes of getting what they need. I guarantee if the ammo manufacturers were able to fill a lot of the orders they have on the books, most businesses would not take the amount on their order, mainly due to not enough working capital or not needing as much as they order. When I worked for a range, the owner put in an order for ammo totaling over 4 million dollars. He was hoping to get a fraction of that. In time the shortage will level off and everything will be back to normal :)

You're on the right track. I've seen this in other industries with different materials. It's always the same self fulfilling prophecies.

Word goes out supplies are going to be tight. Orders get put on allocation. The store is told you can only buy X or your delivery date will be Y days down the road. Demand seems to increase, so they place an order for X per month, or keep placing orders so they have a continuous supply coming in for the next 6-12 months when they only really need 2 months. But they have to their place in line in case demand doesn't let up.

When supplies increase or demand takes a small dip, inventories start to grow and orders get canceled faster than they were placed. Suddenly the 12 month backlog becomes 2 weeks.

But I can see demand staying high until the Republicans have firm control of either the house or senate and show some semblance of a spine.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    There I was thinking I made out like a bandit selling my VSTO stock for $14.81 back in July and while I made out very well, I could almost cry now for having sold it then! Had I waited, I could have afforded ammo at todays prices, well maybe several cases of 9mm.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    You're on the right track. I've seen this in other industries with different materials. It's always the same self fulfilling prophecies.

Word goes out supplies are going to be tight. Orders get put on allocation. The store is told you can only buy X or your delivery date will be Y days down the road. Demand seems to increase, so they place an order for X per month, or keep placing orders so they have a continuous supply coming in for the next 6-12 months when they only really need 2 months. But they have to their place in line in case demand doesn't let up.

When supplies increase or demand takes a small dip, inventories start to grow and orders get canceled faster than they were placed. Suddenly the 12 month backlog becomes 2 weeks.

But I can see demand staying high until the Republicans have firm control of either the house or senate and show some semblance of a spine.
    Define "spine" in relation to Republicans. Miss Lindsay buys a bigger purse? BTW a belated Birthday to you. S/F

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I noticed a few odd things in the ammo world the last 6 months or so. The first was the plain white boxing of Remington and blazer ammo being sold in "limited runs" , marked as training and practice ammo then sold through vendors like Midway or GunBroker at inflated prices. Upon inspection the ammo I bought was plain ole blazer brass 115gr ammo.

Struck me as odd that of all things they ran out of packaging??? Now I'm seeing sportsman's guide "pre-selling" ppu ammo at outlandish prices. It's not scheduled to be delivered until Feb 2021. At the same time academy's monarch line is nowhere to be found. Which as most of y'all know is almost exclusively made in Serbia by PPU. Also listed on sportsman's guide, the Scorpio ammo is eerily similar to S&B. Czech production, same color bullet as the brass. Maybe they simply use the exact same suppliers but I think it's more likely that these offshoots are a petty attempt to rebrand and price gouge without parent companies taking any heat for it.

With the monarch line, clearly someone at sportsman's guide jumped into the academy supply chain to siphon off stock and resell at higher numbers. Of all vendors out there academy is the last to gouge consumers and have only incrementally raised prices. The rest of the corporate profit machines are running full steam ahead. Disappointed to see it but I'm confident the foreign ammo will keep pouring in and hopefully stabilize our market by next year.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I noticed a few odd things in the ammo world the last 6 months or so. The first was the plain white boxing of Remington and blazer ammo being sold in "limited runs" , marked as training and practice ammo then sold through vendors like Midway or GunBroker at inflated prices. Upon inspection the ammo I bought was plain ole blazer brass 115gr ammo.

Struck me as odd that of all things they ran out of packaging??? Now I'm seeing sportsman's guide "pre-selling" ppu ammo at outlandish prices. It's not scheduled to be delivered until Feb 2021. At the same time academy's monarch line is nowhere to be found. Which as most of y'all know is almost exclusively made in Serbia by PPU. Also listed on sportsman's guide, the Scorpio ammo is eerily similar to S&B. Czech production, same color bullet as the brass. Maybe they simply use the exact same suppliers but I think it's more likely that these offshoots are a petty attempt to rebrand and price gouge without parent companies taking any heat for it.

With the monarch line, clearly someone at sportsman's guide jumped into the academy supply chain to siphon off stock and resell at higher numbers. Of all vendors out there academy is the last to gouge consumers and have only incrementally raised prices. The rest of the corporate profit machines are running full steam ahead. Disappointed to see it but I'm confident the foreign ammo will keep pouring in and hopefully stabilize our market by next year.
    In the last month I've purchased 6 - 800 round Monarch sardine cans(16 - 50 round boxes in each) 9mm from Academy.

ETA: Last 2 week have been slim pickings though. Looks like they may be rotating areas/stores as supply becomes available.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've had good luck with steel cased ammo in my hammer fired nines but my Glock chokes on it regularly. How does the spam can stuff shoot for you? I'm guessing it's made by barnaul.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Perhaps they are getting ahead of the taxes the Democrats want to impose on ammunition and components "for our own good!"

By the way, when Yugoslavia broke up in '91, there was spot of bother among the siblings. Hence, I wonder if the Serbs (and the Czechs) are making use of lessons learned by stealing a march on the competition.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I've had good luck with steel cased ammo in my hammer fired nines but my Glock chokes on it regularly. How does the spam can stuff shoot for you? I'm guessing it's made by barnaul.
    I'm running it through: P365, CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom and a FNS-9C every one of those is eating it like a kid eats candy. I have had zero problems with the steel case. I've got quite a few rounds of brass case 9mm but I'm hanging on to that for some reason. The Monarch comes with a light lubricant on the case which makes them easier to load. Every once in awhile I run across Winchester steel case in 150 round boxes and they shoot just as well as the Monarchs but are a tad more difficult to load but certainly not a deal breaker by any means.

Top Bottom