Gun Zone Deals

Next time you think cops have "attitudes".....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let me tell you - when it goes down like that, you forget the camera is even there. Nothing else is in your mind but the suspect - and that is what is so completely amazing when you watch this. The adrenalin was pulsing, and the cop had the presence of mind to use voice commands to control the suspect to keep him from attempting to go after the gun again - THAT is what I respect from the officer.
    Guns International

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yep. You aren't going to be thinking "oh, I better not plug this guy again because I'm on camera". You're going to be jumping up and down trying to figure out if you're leaking.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yep. You aren't going to be thinking "oh, I better not plug this guy again because I'm on camera". You're going to be jumping up and down trying to figure out if you're leaking.

Exactly - listen to the cop as he talks to dispatch. More than once you can tell that he's not *really* sure if he's been hit or not.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Cop was being very respectful and pleasant. Shoot at him and the attitude changes.

No doubt, shoot at anyone and they're not going to be nice to you.

Sometimes nervous people can do these, but the shifting is like a cat waggling its butt before it pounces. He's unconsciously making sure he's got good traction. The looking around and grooming are nervousness, but you combine them with shifting and the shit's about to hit the fan.

Yeah, it's clustering. I use similar techniques when "interviewing" people. When you combine the right combination of questions and observe the non verbal cues of evasiveness you can easily tell when they're lying.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    1) I am glad this officer is ok.
    2) I do not understand why the officer didnt finish the job and save the tax payers some money. When the shithead was in the ditch and fired 2 more times at the officer, I think he was begging for it at that point.
    3) It looked like he drew the gun from the thing he was carrying which is odd because the officer saw inside with a flashlight.
    4) This is why I always give the officers the benefit of the doubt. We ask them to do a job that can turn on a dime from normal to beyond hell. They deal with the worst of society on a constant basis and we expect them to remain the best of society. Its a lot to ask.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    4) This is why I always give the officers the benefit of the doubt. We ask them to do a job that can turn on a dime from normal to beyond hell. They deal with the worst of society on a constant basis and we expect them to remain the best of society. Its a lot to ask.

Well said!

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    1) I am glad this officer is ok.
    2) I do not understand why the officer didnt finish the job and save the tax payers some money. When the shithead was in the ditch and fired 2 more times at the officer, I think he was begging for it at that point.
    He isn't paid to be an executioner. I think he showed real restraint when the guy was in the ditch moving.
    3) It looked like he drew the gun from the thing he was carrying which is odd because the officer saw inside with a flashlight.
    I think he bladed to the Officer and used his left hand still holding the "Man Purse" to lift his shirt and then drew from his waistband.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    He isn't paid to be an executioner. I think he showed real restraint when the guy was in the ditch moving.

No he isn't and yes he did. To me it looks like the suspect and officer exchanged fire to the left of the field of view at which point the suspect goes to the ditch and the officer (presumably) takes cover behind his car and starts informing the dispatcher. At that point the suspect fires twice more at the officer from the ditch, but the officer does not return fire. I think the officer had every right to return fire at that point with being an "executioner".

I think he bladed to the Officer and used his left hand still holding the "Man Purse" to lift his shirt and then drew from his waistband.

That could be, I thought he reached into the "manpurse" but its definitely possible that you are correct. I can see that and it is probably more likely.

As serious as this whole thing was did anyone else find the message notification interesting? Sounded like HAL 9000.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    Alot of luck for that officer. The cop completly let that guy get the drop on him. Now, bear in mind I don't have any LEO traing, but it would seem to me that what really gave the suspect that inital advantage was the cops right hand was occupied by his flash light and wasn't ready to grab his weapon. I know the mag light can double as a baton in a pinch, but obviously that wasn't the proper tool for job. I know call me Captin Hindsight, but had to point out what seems to me to be an obvious error.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I guess the cops could prone everyone out simply to run their license but there would probably be some complaints.

Not sure how funny it is, but the thought did occur to me that if the guy had simply refused to identify (depending on the state, some you can't refuse at all), he probably would have gone on his merry way. He kind of overplayed his hand.

Twice.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I am absolutely amazed at the level of restraint this officer showed. He had every right in the world to pull the trigger until it went "click", reloaded and run through it again.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'll weigh this in ... I can pick up on body language fairly quick and can read people pretty well. The problem isn't seeing the cues, it's making your brain believe that you are progressing into a gun fight. You can see it a mile away, but when that gun comes out, you will hesitate to some degree while your brain processes the info and you commit to a course of action. It's a sort of adrenaline based disbelief ... that cop saw it and he knew it, but he's a nice guy that didn't want to be pushed into the gun fight just like any normal, rational individual.

My experience with "oh-shit" moments is exactly similar to this guys. You gotta get over the mental hurdle and switch to fight ... you don't want to believe your eyes, even if your brain is screaming and dumping adrenaline by the gallon.

Society and training has indoctrinated a force for force response, and that really prohibits the proactive ultra aggressive response you need in that situation. Combine that with an unwillingness to take another life or shoot them and it adds up to time.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I am absolutely amazed at the level of restraint this officer showed. He had every right in the world to pull the trigger until it went "click", reloaded and run through it again.
    And yet we have tinfoil hat wearing cop haters that would complain because he told the guy he was gonna shoot him if he moved again.

It takes all kinds. My hat is off to the cop for his ability to somehow not perforate this guy some more.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll weigh this in ... I can pick up on body language fairly quick and can read people pretty well. The problem isn't seeing the cues, it's making your brain believe that you are progressing into a gun fight.

On that point, a very good book to read is Blink. It's about how our subconscious processes things faster than we can think them through.

We've been conditioned not to trust our subconscious minds. For at least 12 years of your life (unless maybe you were home schooled), you were penalized for using intuitive reasoning, for trusting your subconscious mind's ability to take thin slices of the world and process them quickly.

Trust your gut. If it tells you something is wrong, if you feel uncomfortable, go with that and reason it out later, when you're safe.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have been on thousands of traffic stops...a huge percentage of people act bizarre, fidgety. They are often told to stand still, keep their hands out of their pockets and plenty else.
    Many are nervous because they have been to jail and dont want to go back...are worried they have a warrant....know they have half a joint i the car....etc.

My point is that a huge percentage of people give all kinds of bizarre signals. Many criminals that have shot police have said later that they sized up the officer and decided to shoot at him because they thought they could do it and get away with it. I will have to find the video but one guy said he passed on shooting officers because they had their shit together. When he encountered another officer who seemed to be a bit less vigilant, he made his move.

Cops can be the Gestapo and be very safe or be very friendly and let their guard down. The trick is to find that happy medium in the middle of being friendly AND safe.

I watch the critics and they usually chime in by saying the guy was not paying attention or he was to overbearing. almost a no win for the guys in the videos.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Once again, thanks for doing what you do TC2 and everyone else in LE. And on an unrelated note, I still plan on doing a Waffle House meet hopefully soon. I have a lot on my plate at the moment though. It'll happen. :-)

Top Bottom