• ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys,

Before the summer of 2017 I want to have another awesome SBR upper in either a pistol or rifle caliber.
    1. I want it to be short and light.
    2. I want the option to run it without a suppressor, but I will run it suppressed 90% or the time.
    3. I don't have an AR 15 in a normal caliber, so 300bo, or 9mm or whatever's best for a 5-10" barrel.
    4. I'm thinking about blow back gas and either going side charging or using a gas buster style charging handle.
    5. I want to build it reliable, stock up on ammo and magazines, and build the upper on a budget less than $1000.
    6. It needs to be short enough to fit in my 5.11 duffle bag with my lower and existing 4.5" 22lr upper with its suppressor.

Guys, the 22lr upper is epic. I've got this SBR stamp and I want another epic upper build in a more hard hitting caliber than 22lr. Please help. I haven't bought anything for this upper build, and I have no plan yet. I will take in all of your input. I will use ideas from this to start my build.

I don't have any magazines or .223 bolts or sights that I can use for this build. I have a ton of 9mm ammo saved up, but I don't have any 300bo or 5.56x45 firearms. If I could build 9mm and save on ammo and build costs please help with your ideas. Any money I can save toward building 9mm because I have that ammo is money saved. If it's cheaper to go 300bo build plus the cost of the ammo, I'll see how it goes.
    ARJ Defense ad

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I've decided no go with a 9mm for a few reasons.

1. Cost per round and ammo availability.
    2. I want it to be quiet with all ammo, and I don't care about knock down power or what's in style for tactical rifles.
    3. This gun will share a duffle bag with a .22lr upper and standard SBR'd lower so it's got to be very short without a can.

I really need some input from members here that have experience with 9mm ARs. I have zero experience with an AR in 9mm, mag blocks, barrels, bolts, and buffers. I'm planning on using PSA, ASC, colt, and metal form mags.

I know that suppressed out of a 5" barrel supersonic and subsonic 9mm ammo is really hearing safe. I think in an AR with a stock it'll be really fun.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Do you have a Glock?
    If so How about an Olympic arms 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags. Have the barrel cut and drilled when you get your stamp in. That way you have your gun tomorrow and convert it when you get your stamp. All you need add is a gas buster but that's not really required on a semi auto 9mm because they are not really super gassy like a 5.56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Do you have a Glock?
    If so How about an Olympic arms 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags. Have the barrel cut and drilled when you get your stamp in. That way you have your gun tomorrow and convert it when you get your stamp. All you need add is a gas buster but that's not really required on a semi auto 9mm because they are not really super gassy like a 5.56.

New perspective. Totally new because I hadn't considered it. I also don't own a glock. How is Olympic arms with quality and reliability?

I was thinking of building an upper to make sure my barrel and bolt quality are as near top notch as I can afford. Since I already have a lower, I'm just looking for a mag well block.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Mine runs 100%. I have heard of some issues like most vendors. They have a great warrantee. I went this route because of the ready availability of new 15,17 and 30 round mags that I don't have to modify. The gun has a standard buttons and operation takes most parts.

Mag blocks by contrast sometimes eject the mag with a button behind the mag like an AK or M1A. The mag release actually ejects the whole mag block. I only want to train one way. Then you have to get mags that work reliably or mod say WWII surplus sten gun mags and try to get them to run. and deal with bolt hold open issues etc. be sure of what your getting and buy matching factory moded mags if possible.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I just wanted to save myself a lot of headache because I heard that 9mm ARs need tuning.
    W weight carrier
    X size has hoie,
    Y weight buffer,
    Z spring.

You can spend quite a while swapping parts trying to figure it out and then still have issues from surplus mags.

Or go factory and if it doesn't work you have the warrantee to fall back on.

I have built and helped build a couple dozen ARs but didn't want to mess with a 9mm

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I just wanted to save myself a lot of headache because I heard that 9mm ARs need tuning.
    W weight carrier
    X size has hoie,
    Y weight buffer,
    Z spring.

You can spend quite a while swapping parts trying to figure it out and then still have issues from surplus mags.

Or go factory and if it doesn't work you have the warrantee to fall back on.

I have built and helped build a couple dozen ARs but didn't want to mess with a 9mm

A lot of good info.

I was looking at YHMs longer and heavier 9mm buffer. I can leave it in the lower because the .22lr upper doesn't use the buffer tube.

Im already using 1 mag block for the .22 that uses m&p 15-22 mags. Im not new to making something fit and work flawlessly, but I want to start with a mag block that works with minimal fitting. I read good things about Hahn Precision blocks.

I really don't know who makes the best barrel for a 9mm in 4-8". So buying a complete upper, I'd still need a mag block and buffer.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Might look at rock river. I have used them quite a bit and they have great parts that are reasonably priced.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Tag

9mm is probably the way to go (like you've already stated). 300 Blackout might be easier but if you don't reload it will cost you more in the long run.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    For the price you are talking, you may also want to consider buying a CZ Scorpion EVO and going the SBR route with that. I have a lot of reasons for suggesting this but too busy to type. But worth looking into it.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    For the price you are talking, you may also want to consider buying a CZ Scorpion EVO and going the SBR route with that. I have a lot of reasons for suggesting this but too busy to type. But worth looking into it.
    I just got an SBR stamped for an AR in the end of September. I'm only using it for a .22lr upper. Pic-
    IMG_3313.jpg
    I had a plan to have a 5.11 duffle with the SBR lower and 2 different uppers and all the mags.

I decided to go 9mm over 300bo because of the ammo and the sound level with all ammo.

Im not ruling out another CZ, but I'd like another short AR upper to use with my Optimus and 3 lug mount. Please help if you have part reccomendations. I'm looking at green mountain or kak barrels now. They have a 4" barrel that would be epic short with a 3 lug and Optimus.

Help me party. When I decided to SBR a lower it was because it's an AR and I can make it different calibers with 1 stamp. With all the knowledge on this forum I believe we can build it and make it work. TRUMP 2016

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I bought the PSA upper. It came with a bolt and I added a buffer.

Now i just need help getting a reliable mag block for the uzi/colt mags and the mags. PSA runs these promos for 10 of their mags for $20/each. I feel like I could modify the surplus uzi mags if I found a good deal on them and had a colt mag to match the hole for the mag catch.

Has anyone on this forum ever used a 9mm mag block?

Top Bottom