• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I recommended the Sportster because it's a great ride for the money and an exceptional value. I ride for fun only and my long trip touring days are over. The Sportster is the perfect ride for me!

You guys counter that selection with choices that cost 150-200% more money! Of course those are better bikes but they aren't in the same league. The bikes weigh 250 pounds more that the XL and if you're just using the bike for local trips and cruising around town, they are terrible choices. I am through riding 800 pound highway barges and the 550 pounds of the XL is perfect to give a good ride and still be easy to scoot around.

SO.....select the kind of riding that you want to do long before you select a H-D model to own. Big bikes ride like a dream on the highway but become monsters at slow speed and you could end up owning a bike that isn't fun to ride.

Flash
    Lynx Defense

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    How new are we talking about and what models? My dad as a '10 (I believe) Ultra Classic. The engine shakes a good amount and you can see it in the back luggage too.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    I have over 60,000 miles on my Road King Classic now.Average about 12k a year,city & country.
    As soon as you are off idle it gets real smooth.

Of course it shakes at idle. I mean it's a Harley after all.:)

bilzanyte

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    North of Huntsville
    The twin-cam B motor is a mechanically counter-balanced motor, the big twin twin cams in the touring line use a rubber mount that was originally designed in the 1970s for the FXR series (the best handling frame ever to come from Harley) The Dyna uses an automotive style rubber mount.I own the first production year of the Dyna and it handles almost as well an an FXR. The drawback of the Dyna is the mounts can't take any real horsepower, but real smooth off idle.

OldCannon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Pflugerville
    I just picked up a 2012 Road King last week. She purrs like a kitten, but I'm thankful that the engine has rubber mounts!
    road_king.jpg

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    MEH.

Real bikers ride pan head or shovel head hardtails...

+1...if you want ready-made comfort then buy an off the rack bike or a Lazy Boy. If you want to call it truly yours, build it yourself, that way you get what you want and need for your riding style. Knucks, Pans and Shovels are gifts from the Harley Gods

OldCannon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Pflugerville
    +1...if you want ready-made comfort then buy an off the rack bike or a Lazy Boy. If you want to call it truly yours, build it yourself, that way you get what you want and need for your riding style. Knuck's, Pans and Shovels are a gift from the Harley Gods

Nice idea, but if I built one up myself, I wouldn't have time to sell guns to all you nice folks :patriot:

BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've owned 3 HD's in my time and my last 1 was purchased 20 years ago. My 1st HD was a 1945 61ci knucklehead that I purchased for $125 when I lived in Abilene back in the 60's . I sold the knuck a few years later in order to buy the 1950 74ci panhead in 1970. I paid $200 for the pan and kept it for several years. I later sold the bike ... a big mistake. Today, I own a 1992 fatboy, which I purchased new. To compare the older bikes I owned to the 92 .. well they are years apart technically speaking. As for comfort, yeah the 92 beats the older ones. But you can get more comfort (if that's what your looking for) in the glide models today.

To each his own, as there's a bike for everyone out there. HD has come out with some very impressive bikes these days, but nothing like the old days. Heck, I'm still looking for that ultimate bike .. the HD flathead 80.

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've owned 3 HD's in my time and my last 1 was purchased 20 years ago. My 1st HD was a 1945 61ci knucklehead that I purchased for $125 when I lived in Abilene back in the 60's . I sold the knuck a few years later in order to buy the 1950 74ci panhead in 1970. I paid $200 for the pan and kept it for several years. I later sold the bike ... a big mistake. Today, I own a 1992 fatboy, which I purchased new. To compare the older bikes I owned to the 92 .. well they are years apart technically speaking. As for comfort, yeah the 92 beats the older ones. But you can get more comfort (if that's what your looking for) in the glide models today.

To each his own, as there's a bike for everyone out there. HD has come out with some very impressive bikes these days, but nothing like the old days. Heck, I'm still looking for that ultimate bike .. the HD flathead 80.

+1 on that 80" Flattie! Too cool for school!

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    I agree. It's too bad those days are gone. I probabaly should'nt of sold my 66

I hear ya....I sold a 78 FXE years back and regret it and I just had a line on a 73 FLH that I wanted to turn into a lil rigid bobber...but i got out bid. No offense to any new H-D owners at all, ya'll have some great bikes! To me though...nothing sounds better than a stroked Shovel roaring down the highway hell bent for leather.

Top Bottom