• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I was told that newer harley davidsons do not shake NEARLY as bad as older models due to improvements in how the engine is secured.
    Target Sports

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Newer Harley's have a rubber engine mount that cuts down on vibration as where the older model were mounted straight to the frame via metal cross member.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    The engine looks like it will jump out of the frame at idle, but it it very smooth once underway. The rubber mounts tame the shaking to very tolerable levels. 2009 and above touring bikes have improved frame ergos too.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My H-D XL 1200C Sportster was part of a famous line of really bad shakers. I believe it was in 2005, they strengthened the back bone of the frame and added 60 pounds of metal in doing that. The Evolution 1200cc engine is hung on the frame in rubber mounts and is not structurally part of the frame. The result is a really nice ride! I can't speak for the bigger twins but the Sportster was reborn! I refuse to ride an older Sportster. I love the new models!

Flash

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Do yourself a favor and buy the Dyna. It's the mama bear. Not to big or too small like the sportster.
    The ride is smooth and the engine mounts dampen the vibration.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I thought that the biggest reduction in vibration came with the Twin Cam series of motors that had chain-driven counter balancers...no?

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I thought that the biggest reduction in vibration came with the Twin Cam series of motors that had chain-driven counter balancers...no?

The counter balancers are only in the B motors which are in the softtail lineup and use solid motor mounts. At low speeds it is smoother than an evo motor but at highway speeds theres not much of a difference. The FL touring models have the A motors which do not have the counter balancers but the motor uses rubber motor mounts.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The counter balancers are only in the B motors which are in the softtail lineup and use solid motor mounts. At low speeds it is smoother than an evo motor but at highway speeds theres not much of a difference. The FL touring models have the A motors which do not have the counter balancers but the motor uses rubber motor mounts.

Thanks for the explanation. Does that all still hold true for the current line-up of H-D's? What's the difference like, at idle and low speeds, between the counter-balanced hard-mounted B motors and the non-counter-balanced soft-mounted A motors?

Apologies to the OP if I am hijacking too much....after putting about 6 hours in the saddle on a Twin Cam 88B this past weekend, my interest in H-D's is piqued. ;)

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Yes its for the current lineup. The twincam motor has been out since 98 or 99 IIRC. Other than displacement and fuel injection not much has changed on it since.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Are you telling me that you can keep your feet on the footboards
    doin' the ton on those new Harleys? How cool is that?
    Every once in a while I wonder if those new fangled swing arm
    frames will ever catch on. Probably not.

SS

Top Bottom