• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Welcome to the forum! Not illegal unless something illegal is built. Just a group of friends with common interest getting together mostly (I assume), and share tools and expertise. Other folks on here can explain better as to what they are.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Hello, and welcome to TGT, Mr. suspicious username and curious first post! :)

Build parties are typically a group of folks sharing tools and knowledge to assemble AR15's from their basic components, but can include smithing on anything. I've never been to a build party, but a simple example is I needed to tighten the castle nut on my buffer tube but didn't have the wrench. A guy at work does, so he let me borrow his. Same thing as any other hobby. I've hosted a ton of 'mod parties' for my car buddies over the years, where a bunch of people get together to grill food, talk cars, and turn a few wrenches.

As for legality, nobody I know of has ever built any non-compliant (e.g. NFA or otherwise restricted) weapons at a build party. Heck nobody I am aware of has ever had a non-compliant weapon, no matter how much we may disagree with the hoops a good American has to jump through to own one - if that's what you wanted. Thankfully Texas is reasonably free with the laws, so we only really have to deal with the federal government by filing the NFA paperwork and paying for the tax stamp. Oh, and waiting forever to get it approved of course, while your purchase sits in the NFA jail (local gun store's vault).

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Build parties aren't strictly limited to AR-15's, although they are probably easiest for a first-time builder to learn. Experienced AK-47 builders might take a friend or two under their wing to show them how to build one from absolute scratch, including bending the receiver into shape, riveting, and so on. Depending on the degree of expertise and financial means of the host, one might show you how to build or rebuild (to legal ATF specs) demilled firearms from kits, just like car aficionados do with mopars.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    mupytyda.jpg

Patriot1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2014
    Lubbock/ New Braunfels
    Appreciate the feedback! Sorry not very accustomed to forums. First one I have ever joined. It's hard to find info about build parties on Google and such, they seemed really cool and I just wanted to learn more. Does anyone know the law behind the 80% rule?

Top Bottom