• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    To each his own. Some won't eat a brisket without the red smoke rind.

I have heard of people cooking a brisket in the oven, but that ain't a BBQ brisket.

That bark, is what adds to the flavor profile of the brisket. It's a carmelization of the rub from the heat and the smoke. I smoke briskets for eating and flavor.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I have heard of people cooking a brisket in the oven, but that ain't a BBQ brisket.

That bark, is what adds to the flavor profile of the brisket. It's a carmelization of the rub from the heat and the smoke. I smoke briskets for eating and flavor.

I say again, to each his own. I don't like fat on my beef. Caramelized or not. Doesn't mean I don't value your likes. I just have different priorities on meat. As for the seasoning, the way I do it the seasoning permeates all the way through.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Pulled the trigger and got the Austin XL 1000 along with a few pounds of their "competition blend" of pellets. Seems to be the most versatile bag of pellets per their cooking recipes. I'm sure its whatever scraps they had left over mixed into the bag. I doubt I'd be able to taste the difference between apple, hickory, oak, or whatever is smoking the meat anyway.

Its far too cold in the next couple weeks to do any worthwhile smoking and I'm not going to shell out another $100 for an insulated winter blanket. I think I'll do the burn off once it gets over 40 degrees again, then probably start off with simple stuff like chicken, burgers, pork chops. Wish me luck!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Pulled the trigger and got the Austin XL 1000 along with a few pounds of their "competition blend" of pellets. Seems to be the most versatile bag of pellets per their cooking recipes. I'm sure its whatever scraps they had left over mixed into the bag. I doubt I'd be able to taste the difference between apple, hickory, oak, or whatever is smoking the meat anyway.

Its far too cold in the next couple weeks to do any worthwhile smoking and I'm not going to shell out another $100 for an insulated winter blanket. I think I'll do the burn off once it gets over 40 degrees again, then probably start off with simple stuff like chicken, burgers, pork chops. Wish me luck!
    Smoke a pork butt. You literally cannot screw that up. Pull it, dump some bbq sauce- and grind it down! It’ll take time so you’ll get a feel for how your new smoker performs.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Smoke a pork butt. You literally cannot screw that up. Pull it, dump some bbq sauce- and grind it down! It’ll take time so you’ll get a feel for how your new smoker performs.
    Russ Martin (of the Russ Martin radio show in Dallas) mentioned BBQ sauce is like post-editing in movies. Doesn't matter how good or bad the meat is, when its doused in BBQ sauce nobody can tell the difference anyway. While I see his point, BBQ sauce slathered meat is alright sometimes. But, I'd like to be able to smoke something and still have it hold up on its own without a lot (or any) of sauce. Only time will tell.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Russ Martin (of the Russ Martin radio show in Dallas) mentioned BBQ sauce is like post-editing in movies. Doesn't matter how good or bad the meat is, when its doused in BBQ sauce nobody can tell the difference anyway. While I see his point, BBQ sauce slathered meat is alright sometimes. But, I'd like to be able to smoke something and still have it hold up on its own without a lot (or any) of sauce. Only time will tell.
    Pulled pork hasta have the sauce...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    BBQ sauce should be served on the side for a brisket IMO. Never on the meat. If you have done your smoking properly, started with a decent brisket, developed a good rub, your brisket shouldn't need BBQ sauce on it. A good brisket, the flavor of the meat can stand on it's own and doesn't need any sauce.

Sort of like a good steak. A good steak, never needs steak sauce or ketchup.

If you have to put any type of sauce on a brisket or steak, then it isn't a good brisket or steak..

The exceptions to this for me, are chicken, ribs, pork butts, or shoulders for pulled pork. Chicken and ribs, I will coat with a sauce during the last twenty to thirty minutes of cooking. Pulled pork, I sauce after it's been separated.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Last time I went to Rudys, they asked if I want moist or dry brisket. Do they cook it different, or prepare the meat differently (trimming all fat) or what?

I'm not against sauce, I just thought it was a funny observation that seems to make sense. You could make a crummy BBQ meat and have it be edible with decent sauce.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Last time I went to Rudys, they asked if I want moist or dry brisket. Do they cook it different, or prepare the meat differently (trimming all fat) or what?

I'm not against sauce, I just thought it was a funny observation that seems to make sense. You could make a crummy BBQ meat and have it be edible with decent sauce.
    Moist or dry? Good question. Honestly I don't know how they cook their briskets.

I like a good BBQ sauce with my brisket, but served on the side. A good sauce should compliment the brisket.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring

Most places will do that if you specify what you want (some will ignore what you ask for...); Rudy's may be the only place I've been that prices it differently. It'll be a fattier part of the brisket.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX

I smoked two pork tenderloins in my Masterbuilt electric yesterday after searing them in a CI skillet. Dry brined them before searing and applied a sweet rub for smoking with apple wood chips. Tossed in a couple of packs of fresh Italian sausage with a salt pork rub for variety. Put a furniture blanket around my smoker and it held temp effortlessly. I would not buy the blanket for $100. Just buy a $10 furniture blanket and some butterfly clamps.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma

Point vs flat maybe?

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I started a few years ago with a MB electric. Turned out good ribs and pork but needed more room, so I got a MB560, gravity fed charcoal smoker. It works really well and has turned out some great meat! Easy to, only gotta load some charcoal every so often and let it do its thing.

Beef rib
    e9159ad4dee3145d894cfa06e0cd0776.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

L̶e̶a̶n̶/̶D̶r̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶r̶i̶s̶k̶e̶t̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶M̶o̶i̶s̶t̶/̶D̶e̶c̶k̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶.

You ain’t from around here, are you?

Last edited:

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Love my Pit Boss! One of the best investments I’ve made in the last couple years. I never thought I would be able to smoke a brisket or make ribs as well as the big boys, but I’ve done it consistently since I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom