• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I've wanted a smoker for a while but the entry cost has always made me hesitate, plus I don't want it to become an unused appliance due to inconvenience or just being a cheap piece of junk making smoking unenjoyable. I've only done a brisket twice on my charcoal grill and once it turned out okay but didn't really have a nice smoke flavor like some of the BBQ joints I've been to. I know I need a little more practice there, but wondered if there was an easier method for low, slow smoking. Multiple chimney starters of coal, sitting nearby all day, not something I wanted to do regularly, nor does the GF appreciate me spending all day over a piece of meat. Some have suggested an offset firebox smoker, but that seems like tending to the fire too much (inconvenient) which led me to a pellet smoker. Is there any strong reason why a pellet smoker should be avoided? I hear great things about Traegers, but also that they're the iPhone of smokers and you end up paying extra for the brand name. I was leaning toward a Pit Boss Classic 700 because of the price and overall reviews seem okay.

Ideally I'd like to try a brisket all day, ribs, chicken, burgers, the usual stuff. I don't mind having it go all day and needing to be home to check on it every so often but having the option of letting it do its thing for a couple hours while I run errands would be nice. Looking for a little guidance on a first time smoker for an amateur griller. Should I be looking at the upright electric models at all?

Thanks for the help!
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Practice is what it takes. You could spend years in learning how to smoke a perfect brisket. A lot of it is trial and error and learning how to use YOUR smoker. And every smoker is different.

Many people are liking the newer pellet smokers, because they are less labor intensive to smoke with. I use a smoker I built almost fifteen years ago, and trust me, it's labor intensive to use, but it turns out some of the best smoked meats ever. I have been smoking briskets for over thirty years, and I can tell you, I have ruined my fair share of them learning how to smoke them. Any BBQer that says he hasn't, is either been very damn lucky, or a liar!

First step is learning to take your time. Patience. Learn your smoker. Develop a rub. Personally, I like a very simple rub, that I use on most every type of meat I put on my smoker. Salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper. For briskets, and ribs, and some pork meats, I just add some brown sugar to the rub. I like using red oak, post oak, hickory, and pecan wood for smoking.

There will be a hundred ways people will tell you is the best way to smoke a brisket, and I would never say they are wrong, but you need to learn what works best for you. My methods, on my smoker turns out an awesome brisket, but may not work as well for you and your smoker.

Relax, learn and have fun with it.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    and-lets-add-a-happy-little-bbq-smoker-right-there.jpg

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

I have the Traveler version. I didn't want to spend a fortune and it sit and rust away. It works very well. Perfect for 2 people and carrying in the RV. It will hold 3 racks of BB Ribs if you shorten them a little and put the pieces on top. For me it's perfect. 2 racks of ribs. treated with seasoning, smoke 2.5 hrs ribs down. Remove, wrap in foil and smoke another 2.5 hrs ribs up. No sauce, nothing. In the summer you can get by with less time. It makes fall off the bone ribs that way.

CS has them on sale but you can order from WM, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...Usually around $200. Pellets are $20 for 40 lbs at WM. After that you are getting into pocketbook hurt as most are $4-500 and up. This was a cheap way to discover I can do ribs.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Smokers, like guns, are quite subjective. What I use, and how I use it, may not work for anybody but me. And maybe, just maybe, that guy over there. But not everyone. This is similar to what I have now. Granted, mine is over a decade old, with a few perks and features some don't have now.

My first offset smoker was a $50 special from Home Depot, and it definitely taught me a lot about the art of smoking. Time, temperature, which wood(s), what marinade, or seasoning(s) work with what meats or vegetables, and what and when to baste, if at all.

Watching a few YT videos might give you a few ideas, but actually doing it will teach you. Go out and get a cheap stick burner and see if you really like it. Have some fun and experiment a bit, then spend the big bucks on a lifetime hunk o' steel.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Pellet smokers are good for keeping the heat consistent as long as the pellets feed and don’t get hung up. Downside is you don’t get as much “smoke” flavor. The offset firebox smokers allow you to get the deep smoke flavor. I just use wood in mine after using lump charcoal to get it started. About every 45 - 70 minutes I add another hunk of wood or two to the firebox. Controlling the airflow allows the wood to burn slowly and not a big hot flame. That is where you get the heavy smoke.

I use oak and pecan. Every now and then I may put a small piece of mesquite in there...but it can create a sharp bitter taste if you are not careful

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Masterbuilt electric smokers are OK if you just want to get your feet wet. Do some chicken or sausages. You need to do a couple mods to get it working well. Youtube is your friend. I'm an offset stick smoker myself. Never tried a pellet but sure do understand the allure. If you're into a stick smoker, ya gotta babysit. That's much of the enjoyment for me but its not for everybody. I only smoke when there's a long weekend. I need that extra day to recover. Reading your comments, you sound like a pellet guy to me. Get a cheap one and give it a try!

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    There's a good reason beer and BBQ go so well together! Beer is also for when you're smoking and tending the smoker.
    Yeah the ideal goal is to wake up Saturday/Sunday, start the smoker, drink some coffee and putt around the house, mow the lawn, check the meat, go get groceries, check the meat, errands, meat, motorcycle ride, have a drink, meat, then do as little as possible until its done.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Yeah the ideal goal is to wake up Saturday/Sunday, start the smoker, drink some coffee and putt around the house, mow the lawn, check the meat, go get groceries, check the meat, errands, meat, motorcycle ride, have a drink, meat, then do as little as possible until its done.
    That's about what my neighbor does. He's brought over a rack of ribs as well as some shredded pork and beef ribs. Great flavor and tender. I'll take a peek and see what he has.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    With low and slow smoking, smoke is also one of the flavor profiles, so selecting the right wood to smoke with is important. Different types of wood will impart different flavor to the meat you are smoking. Some woods are stronger than others. I know some people like to use fruit woods because they tend to be a milder smoke flavor.

The fun is in the experimenting. Some like very complex rubs. Personally, I like my rub to simple and to let the meat and the smoke be the main focus of the flavor profile. I experimented on rubs many years ago, and decided to go simple because that works the best for me.

A stick smoker will tend to give a more robust smoke flavor for sure. I like to keep my smoker between about 200 to 225 degrees as well. And if it's done correctly, even the toughest brisket will come out tender enough to cut with a butterknife.

I start my briskets on the smoker for about an hour and a half a side, for about three hours uncovered. Then I pull them, wrap them in foil, stick them back on the smoker fat side up always. (the fat adds flavor to the meat as well, so I NEVER trim the fat off a brisket.) which allows the juices to go down into the meat keeping it moist and tender. Total cooking time, about 11 to 15 hours, depending on the size of the brisket.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use a New Braunfels smoker that I've had over 20 years. It looks like crap, but it turns out some fine meats.

I prefer the old school method which requires more time. It also takes some trial and error in keeping the smoker at a constant temperature.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I built my smoker about fifteen years ago. Scrounged for various parts for a bit until I had what I needed to build it. The only things I bought, were the hinges, some flat strap steel for the lids and the thermometers.

The main smoker vessel is an old 60 gallon hydraulic tank, and the fire box is an air tank off a Mack truck, as are the lid holders with are leaf spring U-bolts! Exhaust stack, is a exhaust piping from a Chrysler!

I'll get out there tomorrow and take some pictures in the daylight and post them to this thread.

EdLaCrosse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    North Richland Hills, TX
    I have a Smokin-It model 2 and recommend it highly.

I used a stick burner for years and got a lot of enjoyment out of it, but grew tired of having to baby sit it for hours -- even with plenty of beer. Cooking a brisket at 225 can take over 24 hours. That means staying up all night trying to keep the temperature correct. The electric is "set and forget".

One thing people don't like about electrics is they don't produce a smoke ring. That's purely cosmetic though, and has not impact on flavor.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    One thing people don't like about electrics is they don't produce a smoke ring. That's purely cosmetic though, and has not impact on flavor.

Thats pretty interesting, while its nice to get those instagram picture perfect meats, I'm more in it for the flavor and maybe saving a few bucks instead of going to a BBQ place. If a pellet grill gives convenience and full flavor I'll probably be happy with it. Someone else did mention pellet grills give less smoke flavor overall though...

EdLaCrosse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    North Richland Hills, TX
    The Smokin-it is not a pellet. It uses wood chunks like a Masterbuilt. My SIL has a pellet smoker and it does produce a smoke ring.

The Smokin-it is not cheap; mine cost about $300, but it really works great. Excellent flavor, set and forget, all night cooking.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    I started with a log burner. Didn't have a baffle to shield the meat from radiant energy so had to take care and rotate, etc. Didn't take long to get tired of getting up at night and keeping the fire going and if it went out, you really got the benefit of the smoke as in bitter. During the Bush/Obama Recession I was laid off along with half the engineers in the oil/petrochemical industry in Houston. As extended UE neared term I took a fill in job with Bass Pro (that's another whole story in itself) Customer Service/Gun Control/Crowd Control/and so forth. With my employee discount and a sale in progress I practically got a free Masterbuilt Electric in 2011. That is important because I understand there are some issues with the newer version. Mine works perfectly, do a brisket all day and all night - no problem, pork shoulder same. ribs and sausage, chicken and sirloin cook in a few hours. Just feed in some chips every hour or two and you are all set. It puts out a ton of smoke even at 225 degrees. Don't think so, just open the door. At night, just let it cook and maybe add wood if you get up to pee. If you don't, no problem, start again when you roll out in the morning. Best thing I ever bought, electronic hand-held thermometer to test for doneness.
    This year I had my first problem with the electric. Element terminal burned out in the night and had to finish in the oven. We ate it, with lots of barbecue sauce. Thought about just replacing it with new model but saw some reviews where they were having trouble getting good smoke at the lower temps due to element placement or some such revision. So I found a replacement element online and gang says they can't tell the difference before and after replacement. Was a little bit of a b***h putting the new element in as the you tube was for the newer model but I got it finally after only one trip to Home Depot.
    Apologies, long story short I recommend Masterbuilt Electric with some reservations about newer model smoke production but no actual knowledge.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Thats pretty interesting, while its nice to get those instagram picture perfect meats, I'm more in it for the flavor and maybe saving a few bucks instead of going to a BBQ place. If a pellet grill gives convenience and full flavor I'll probably be happy with it. Someone else did mention pellet grills give less smoke flavor overall though...
    Smoke Ring is more a function of the dry rub you use than the smoke. My Masterbuilt Electric delivers a fine ring. I only use dry rubs and rub means you rub it in. Also try dry brining if you want a really good ring.

Top Bottom