• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    jar,

Is that Model 34 either Condor Legion or WWII Luftwaffe marked, perchance?
    (Have you removed the grip panels & looked for military markings?)

The Beretta 34 & the PPK in .32ACP were the FAVORITE handguns of the Condor Legion & Luftwaffe pilots.

yours, satx
    The 34 is a 35 (we are in a 32acp thread) but it's from 1955 and not even the American Legion. In fact it is an export model.

standard.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 264

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    motorcarman,

I agree fully with your post # 47. = Carry whatever you LIKE & "feel confident with" is my advice.

In my case, while I've ordered a pair of the Model 81BB, I'll go right on EDC-ing my old Sauer P225/P6, loaded with 9 Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain JHP in my old Don Hume OWB holster, as I trust it to do the self-defense job adequately. = With the other 2 loaded magazines that I carry, I'm ready for any "likely threat" from 2-4 footed predators.

My 81BB will "live" in my tackle box or on a "cup hook" under the console on the boat & the other one will likely become a "purse gun" for my lady.
    (Her hands, like the rest of her at 60"/85#, are quite petite & she is somewhat "recoil shy" too. = Better that she EDC a pistol that she can HIT with/defend herself with, than a larger/bigger caliber pistol that she doesn't shoot well, imVho.)

Fwiw, I don't know a single person who would be pleased to be shot with a .32ACP JHP bullet.

yours, satx

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    So here is my New-To-Me Colt 1903 Shell for my Alien Gear holster. I'll use it over the weekend and holiday with the 1920 made Colt 1903 that seems to have been professionally Parkerized at some time before I got it.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

medium800.jpg

Attachments

• standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 285
    • standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 332
    • standard.jpg
      standard.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 279
    • medium800.jpg
      medium800.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 289

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jar,

BEAUTIFUL 1903 Colt.

During the Inter-War period (roughly 1920-39) a LARGE number of commercial handguns were purchased by the government & repaired/refinished by government depots for export under lend-lease to the UK OR reissued to various government agencies/contractors during WWII.
    (Your Model 1903 may well have been depot-rebuilt at SAAD or RRAD. - IF it was mine, I would take off the grips & VERY carefully inspect the pistol for any "government or contract markings", as a lot of the "depot refurbished commercial firearms" were marked under the grips or INSIDE the stocks for rifles & shotguns.)

In fact, my grandfather said that "government men in suits" CLEANED-OUT virtually all hardware stores, farm coops & other retail businesses of their firearms for issue for the War after Pearl Harbor & for much of 1942.
    (My home county in NETX only had one large store, that sold firearms & the "government men" bought ALL of the firearms at MSRP that PRICE'S HDW had except the .22 rifles & .410 shotguns.)

Some years after my grandfather passed away (about 1965-68), I discovered (by accident) that most of the firearms bought-up in our county ended up as "guard guns" at the LHAAP in James Bowie, Texas & at the HUGE POW camp in Tyler, Texas.

yours, satx

Last edited:

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    jar,

During the Inter-War period (roughly 1920-39) a LARGE number of commercial handguns were purchased by the government & repaired/refinished by government depots for export under lend-lease to the UK OR reissued to various government agencies/contractors during WWII.

In fact, my grandfather said that "government men in suits" CLEANED-OUT virtually all hardware stores, farm coops & other retail businesses of their firearms for issue for the War after Pearl Harbor & for much of 1942.
    (My home county in NETX only had one large store, that sold firearms & the "government men" bought ALL of the firearms at MSRP that PRICE'S HDW had except the .22 rifles & .410 shotguns.)

Some years after my grandfather passed away (about 1965-68), I discovered (by accident) that most of the firearms bought-up in our county ended up as "guard guns" at the LHAAP in James Bowie, Texas & at the HUGE POW camp in Tyler, Texas.

yours, satx
    That's certainly a possibility and the finish does show some signs of wear particularly at the muzzle. I've never found any US acceptance marks though so certainly don't claim that it was a US refinished gun.

It has the Colt "VP" and an "R" inspectors stamp but no US Property engraving or index number. Also it is not in the serial number range for the major US wartime purchases and too late to be a WWI purchase. On the bright side slide and frame numbers match and it is before they added the magazine safety.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jar,

MOST of the "commercial buy" & "depot refinished" handguns were SELDOM marked with "US PROPERTY" as MANY of the Colt's COMMANDO & S&W VICTORY model revolvers were.
    (The COMMANDO & VICTORY revolvers that were sold to civilian guard companies, defense plants, police departments, private military schools (like MARION INSTITUTE for one) & other NON-military "authorized buyers" were not marked at the time of manufacture.
    (IN the case of the NOLA Criminal Sheriff's Office, where I worked, there were several US PROPERTY marked revolvers in the department arms room. - I asked about that & was told that those "US-marked" handguns were bought for one dollar each AFTER the KOREAN WAR, in "used but fully-serviceable condition".)

A Personal Note: Fanatic ORANGEBLOOD that I undeniably am, I've tried for over 40 years W/O SUCCESS to buy the 4 S&W VICTORY Models that are still owned by The University of Texas PD & were so marked when delivered to UT in 1943. -I own one of the few S&W Model 64 revolvers that are marked "UofTX Police". - I bought that one at auction about 2 decades ago.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    • You SOBs and @DK-firearms have me looking for FFLs in my area. Probably next check if they still have any I'm going to own one.

• Here on TGT, we are all "enablers". =Didn't you know that??
    Personally, I ordered a pair of Model 81BB, which is the last/best of the "baby Beretta" handguns.
    (She will get the prettier of the pair & the other one will live in my tacklebox or under the console on the boat, where it's really handy, likely after it receives the "appliance paint treatment". = "Out on the salt" that is SOLE gun finish that I like, as even stainless steel will corrode, when exposed to constant salt spray. = Once completely cured after @ 2 weeks, salt won't touch the metal under appliance epoxy paint for years & years.)

CHUCKLE, satx

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Got the same Alien Gear setup for my 1903 too!
    Well, I found the Alien Gear shell totally useless, sitting too high and way too far out from my body. So it has gone back into the Box of Shame and currently I'm using an old COW's (Classic Old West) pancake holster. I think COW's is gone now but they were another of the El Paso makers. This rig works much better and fits all of my 1903s.

Top Bottom