Texas SOT

New bill: "... recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I tend to agree that the differed adjudication should be handled as a not guilty ruling FOLLOWING the successful completion of the probation period. I would not be directly opposed to a more reasonable time, say one year since the date of arrest, instead of the 5 years, which is a bit draconian in a diff. adj. situation, in my opinion.

I'm not discounting the fact that people can get arrested wrongly, or fail a run through the system, but generally speaking if you are prone to committing basic misdemeanors you are probably also prone to doing something stupid with a gun. Fighting, drunk driving, etc. ...

Perhaps we could have the law changed in the future?
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Texas has some of the best "gun right" laws in the nation.
    Texas has some of the best use of force laws (which relates to guns), but I think there are a handful of states that are ahead of Texas when talking guns and 2A in general. Of course I'm one of those wacky people that think 2A doesn't apply to just firearms, but also knives, pointy sticks, or any other type of arms.

They don't let electricians, plumbers, or HVAC guys, licensed in other states perform work in Texas.
    Oh man... I'm not a fan of having to get a permission slip from big brother to practice your trade, either. That's a discussion for another thread, tho.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Texas has some of the best use of force laws (which relates to guns), but I think there are a handful of states that are ahead of Texas when talking guns and 2A in general. Of course I'm one of those wacky people that think 2A doesn't apply to just firearms, but also knives, pointy sticks, or any other type of arms.

Oh man... I'm not a fan of having to get a permission slip from big brother to practice your trade, either. That's a discussion for another thread, tho.

Somebody mentioned licenses for plumbers, electricians, etc. Any competent economist can tell you that, beyond the minimum required for safeguarding public health and safety, licensing of occupations is primarily done to keep new competitors out of the field.

Also, if we could, someday, get Constitutional Carry in Texas, then the whole thing would become moot beyond needing to issue licenses to carry for the benefit of Texans who have to travel to other states.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Somebody mentioned licenses for plumbers, electricians, etc. Any competent economist can tell you that, beyond the minimum required for safeguarding public health and safety, licensing of occupations is primarily done to keep new competitors out of the field.

You are saying that licensing is to keep folks out of the profession?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

Some are. I don't know about other profession, but some of the licensing for MD's is designed to week out foriegn MD's. Besides not accepting the accredation from residency programs for other countries, one of my lisencing exams I'm going to take next year (step 2 clinical skills) is a $1500 exam basically design to make sure I can speak the English language. It has a 98% pass rate and involves going and speaking to 15 standardized patients and presenting them. At this time in my training, I've already seen several hundred real patients. . . . .but this is a little off topic.

: )

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

No, I think he's sayin the state wants to grab all the money they can from a man. License are policed by people who have no respect for Constitutional rights.
    On the topic of professions, everytime I have delt with a city or state regulator they didnt know enough about what they were doing to be useful for anything!
    More government employee's that are nothing more than a wast of tax $$$.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I haven't seen anything like that in TX, but I have in places like NY. You can't do anything in NY without being a member of the "right" union or a licensed contractor, or both. Pretty much the only way to get a license is either be buddies with the right people or bribe the right people.

Licensing professions sets up a framework that corrupt bureaucrats and politicians love to exploit. It's also anti-free market.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    OK, I have read a lot in this thread, and still don't know if this thing is real, and passed or not.

A number of vendors (instructors) at the HGCA show yesterday were acting like it is a done deal. What is the status of this?

Basically what I am asking, as a resident of Texas, will my Florida (out of state) CWP be any good after Sept 1, 2011 for unrestricted use in Texas????

Thanks,

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    It is or has been reported in the news that Burnam (democrat) of Ft. Worth is the same who tried to introduce a bill to begin a State Income Tax !! These mindless creeps keep crawling out of Texas' woodwork all the time....

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    As I have said before, I am an honorably discharged veteran of two wars and an honor student. If a guy like me can get denied a TXCHL because of a misdemeanor deferment, don't you think the system is perhaps a hair too strict?

As a veteran myself i was turned down because i wouldnt pay a state shrink $900 to do a psyc eval because they didnt want to accept my Military discharge psyc eval. Thats why im taking the Florida route.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Basically what I am asking, as a resident of Texas, will my Florida (out of state) CWP be any good after Sept 1, 2011 for unrestricted use in Texas????

Thanks,
    if passed, once you establish residency in Texas, you will need to get a Texas license. Texas will still honor other states licenses for those who are visiting here.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    If passed, other states residence will be allowed to use your Florida license, but not you. Burnam thinks you should only be allowed to carry in Texas as long as you pay the Texas Tax.
    Got news for ya, nothing Burnam has in Legislature will pass. Read everything he has entered as witness the stupidity.
    Something good is happening in Texas Legislature. The hint of " with a view to prevent crime" is becoming subject.
    For Burnams bill to be passed, the idiot will have to debate it to have " a view to prevent crime".
    Preventing Crime is the " ONLY" constitutional means for Texas Legislature to pass any firearms laws!
    Call Burnams office and ask how his bill will prevent crime? They have no answers. All you will hear is answers in reguards to " TAX " revinue.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Regardless of the ramblings of some, I don't see much legislative opposition to this bill. I would like to see our license requirments changed to rmove ineligibility for people who owe money to a state entity. I have mixed feelings about the child support restriction.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Regardless of the ramblings of some, I don't see much legislative opposition to this bill. I would like to see our license requirments changed to rmove ineligibility for people who owe money to a state entity. I have mixed feelings about the child support restriction.
    I agree with you on some of the ineligibility issue. I dont even agree to restrict a person due to late child support payments either. People who refuse to pay child support need to be delt with by the attourney general, or hide in North Carolina like many of the bums do.
    If the requirement for a Texas license was like that of other states, I dont think people would be getting out of state license.
    I also know for a fact that Burnam has little to no support at all on this issue. Many of the current house members dont agree with licensing, or " Taxing", a right at all.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    OK, I have read a lot in this thread, and still don't know if this thing is real, and passed or not.

A number of vendors (instructors) at the HGCA show yesterday were acting like it is a done deal. What is the status of this?

Thanks,

The bill has been filed, that's all. Not even in committee yet. If it passes your out of State license will no longer be good in TX, but that is a long way off. I do not believe it will pass. You can track the progress here: Texas Legislature Online - 82(R) Bill Stages for HB 356

specter77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    Good scoop.

I have a NC License that was a pain to get (I was required to obtain background checks and thanks to uncle sam that meant three different states to include the cost each county levied for the check) and is good until 2013. I figured to switch to Texas in 2012 but will keep checking the staus of this bill.

Semper Fi

Mike

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been carrying on my $10 Utah permit since I moved here in 2008. Yep, $10 for the renewal. Not $140 + class charges + range charges + a long wait. When I renewed my Utah permit it took them all of 11 days to process and get the plastic back to me. I had a Texas permit until I moved to Nevada in 1999, at that time Nevada didn't recognize the Texas permit, so I got the Nevada and Utah. So I've passed 3 states' CCW classes, paid the fees, and won't get another Texas permit until such time as my Utah permit is no longer valid for Texas residents.

Top Bottom