APOD Firearms

New bill: "... recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Filed today by Rep. Lon Burnam of District 90 (Ft Worth). He appears to be a Liberal, from the bills he authored last session.

HB 356 Author: Burnam
    Last Action: 11/29/2010 H Filed
    Caption: Relating to the recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun.

Texascop called this one. I'll post the text tomorrow when it becomes available.

I predict this fails in House committee.
    Texas SOT

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    What a beat off. I bet it fails too but this makes me rethink wasting my time on the Utah class.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    82R1338 JSC-D By: Burnam H.B. No. 356 A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. Section 411.173, Government Code, is amended by adding Subsection (b-1) to read as follows: (b-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (b), a person's license issued by another state may not be recognized in this state if the person has established a domicile in this state. For purposes of this subsection, "domicile" has the meaning assigned by Section 522.003, Transportation Code. SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2011.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    82R1338 JSC-D By: Burnam H.B. No. 356 A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. Section 411.173, Government Code, is amended by adding Subsection (b-1) to read as follows: (b-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (b), a person's license issued by another state may not be recognized in this state if the person has established a domicile in this state. For purposes of this subsection, "domicile" has the meaning assigned by Section 522.003, Transportation Code. SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2011.

What does that mean to the potential Utah CHL holder? It wont work right?

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am guessing that if it does pass, there will be a Grandfather Clause that will allow you to continue to carry with your out of state license, but won't recognize it after expiration/renewal and will require you to get a TX CHL.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I was thinking about that, too. By the time it expires I should be GTG for a TX, but may keep the AZ if it's easier. The grandfather thing seems murky to me for renewal an existing license, but I'm no lawyer.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    That bill sure is short and sweet.

Many laws that are passed dont take effect until Jan. 1 of the following year....if that happened here, they would have a window to get their TXCHL.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Lon Burnam

2255.jpg

Capitol Address:

Room CAP GW.8, Capitol
    P.O. Box 2910
    Austin, TX 78768
    (512) 463-0740
    (512) 463-1075 Fax
    District Address:

1067 W. Magnolia
    Fort Worth, TX 76104
    (817) 924-1997
    (817) 924-6788 Fax

His bill history!

HB 354 State income TAX!
    HB 355 Tax some coal why dont ya!
    HB 356 Lets put more restrictions on Texas gun-right's!

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    This bill would not effect reciprocity for those traveling in Texas, visiting Texas, or those in the process of establishing a residence in Texas.

How do you know that? Where in the bill does it offer that stipulation? Is what I read here in regard to the bill complete?

So I establish residence here in Texas, and let's say I simply wish to keep my Utah license. Why shouldn't I be allowed to do that based on reciprocity? Of course, you could say that reciprocity was only intended for visitation and "traveling through", which of course is a reasonable argument. Maybe this bill is to get more "fees" from Texas residents who wish to CC; therefore, saying - "if you wish to live in Texas, you must have a Texas CHL".

BTW, I am a Texan. The above was mentioned only to cite an example.

I don't know, and really, this is a "gravity" issue for me. I could really care less since I am Texan born and bred.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    How do you know that? Where in the bill does it offer that stipulation?
    well, I read the bill.
    did you read it?
    it is only one page, and it is very specific in regard to who it is directed at. Furthermore it doesn't repeal any stipulations about reciprocity, merely expounds on who reciprocity would not apply to....those who have established residency here in this state.

Top Bottom