• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    The Brownells bolt catch punch, roll pin starter punch and a good small mallet is a must have, and makes scratching a lower almost impossible.

Pro tip, tape the punch, not the lower.

Real avid has a good little punch and mallet set as well that has a specific punch just for the bolt catch. I still managed to put a small scratch in mine. But I don’t really care. It’s not a showpiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Yeah I know but now I want something to do and came to my senses about building Canoe.
    What AR tools are needed to complete the task? Just basics please
    punches
    rollpin punches
    rollpin starter punches
    AR barrel nut wrench
    AR stock wrench
    Torque Wrench
    Front Detent tool
    screw drivers
    vise
    AR15 Upper Action Block
    AR15 trigger slave pin
    Rubber Mallet
    some moly grease

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    why hasn’t OP posted pics of his new build?

Is OP a slacker?
    There are so many FkN different options on every end of these things.
    I want a 16" with full length guard????, irons????,stock????, trigger????,trigger gaurd????, bcg????,grip????, flash????,break????,this????,that????. ;)

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Don't worry, you can always change it...

Even the choice of using a roll pin to hold the bolt catch in. You never know when you find a bolt release style you like more, and you can change it with an Allen wrench.

A 6" long 6-32 tap, and the matching 6" long 7/64" tap drill runs about $20 off eBay, and the Aero screw-in pins are about $3.
    When I first started playing with these damn Lego rifles, I just used a short length of TiG welding wire.
    Then I thought I was moving up in the world, and my second mistake of buying something from Wheeler, a set of their special shit bolt catch roll pin punches. That's when I found the Aero screw-in pins, and never looked back.

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    There are so many FkN different options on every end of these things.
    I want a 16" with full length guard????, irons????,stock????, trigger????,trigger gaurd????, bcg????,grip????, flash????,break????,this????,that????. ;)

It’s hard man. I’ve been keeping an eye on 4th of July sales. Then as I’m looking it’s like do I buy an aero buffer kit with an H from primary arms or psa has a sale on blem AR10 lowers for like $80 which does nothing to continue this build, it just adds another but decisions are hard when you’re on a budget and can’t just go all out in one shot lol.

That being said I really don’t see a lot of sales that are much better than the usual.

I already have a Cmmg upper/lower with a 15” handguard. Cerakoted black/green camo. Aero lower kit with hyper fire trigger and moe grip. I plan on doing an 18 or 20” 223 wylde or 5.56 nato barrel with a mid or rifle length gas system. Adjustable block and an H buffer. Standard A2 flash hider.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Mid or rifle length gas system is just personal preference? Or do they function differently?
    Both.
    16” barrel will be your choice between carbine or mid length. Mid length will be “softer” shooting. Carbine will be over gassed, but you will gain reliability with a wet/muddy/dirty gun.
    Of course if you add an adjustable gas block into the equation….

You need at least an 18” barrel to run a rifle length gas system.

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Mid or rifle length gas system is just personal preference? Or do they function differently?

Ya see I don’t have a good answer for that lol. It’s my first build as well. I know the longer gas systems do soften recoil and supposedly help increase reliability compared to carbine length. I would think at the cost of the speed of the bolt cycling. But unless you’re trying to be all high speed low drag tacticool I don’t think it matters a whole lot. I just want to build some comfortable shooters that my wife will enjoy as well.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I've used Aero slick sided parts for my builds, just a block needed. Foreend locks into special barrel nut really good and no armor's wrench needed. Stick with carbine gas for carbine barrel. Don't need a spanner wrench for the castle nut but it helps. Beware of cheap carbine stocks that don't stay locked in position. Magpul and hogue are good.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I know the longer gas systems do soften recoil and supposedly help increase reliability compared to carbine length.

Wrong.
    Longer systems soften recoil while decreasing reliability.
    The reason 99% of 16” carbines come from the factory with a carbine length gas system is while they may beat the snot out of your gun, they will run anything.

Chewbacca7685

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Wrong.
    Longer systems soften recoil while decreasing reliability.
    The reason 99% of 16” carbines come from the factory with a carbine length gas system is while they may beat the snot out of your gun, they will run anything.

Ah yea see like I said, first time builder. I don’t know all the little intricacies. I do see a lot of debate online about gas system reliability though. But I guess that also obviously depends on the barrel length you’re running etc.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Gas port position was designed around Mil ammo for a 10k psi at the port. Same with buffer/spring and BCG. Civies changed a bunch of stuff to 'tune' the gun - but it doesn't really need much.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I have this I got in a trade for a boltgun. It's alot lighter then the heavy barrel Rock River one I sold due to weight and the amount I got for it
    when the panic set in a few years ago. ;).
    This current one is mostly Palmetto with a Spikes BCG.

Attachments

• 20230627_110424.jpg
      20230627_110424.jpg
      224.9 KB · Views: 44
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom