• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    They seem to be recommended a bit as a first "hot" snake and at one point did consider it but getting that by my wife, plus all the other precautions one needs to make kind of put the brakes on that. I have enough hazardous hobbies and I do enjoy snakes, usually from a distance and have a healthy respect for them. I actually had a ball python for a bit, that was fun.
    Texas SOT

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have a huge oak tree right close to the house. It's probably close to about four feet in diameter at the base of it. The other day I was weedeating around it and got around the back side of it and there was about a 3.5 foot rat or chicken snake crawling up the tree!

I think we scared each other a bit!

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    We had the power ran last week from the pedastal to our meter rack. When the electric guys popped open the pedastal there were 2 copperheads. They killed one & one got away.

I enjoy the Animal Planet series Lone Star Law. Season before this or maybe a couple of seasons ago wardens went to investigate a man that had been trapping them around a school somewhere in the Greenville area. Without a doubt he had caught the biggest copperheads that I ever saw and had a bunch of them in a cage. Was going to sell/give them to some researcher. Wardens gave him the okey doke.
    Conversely somebody had killed a timber rattler and posted it on Facebook. They busted him; timber rattlers are endangered and protected in Texas.

I was watching LSL a couple years ago and they gave a guy a warning ticket for shooting a cotton mouth without a hunting license.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    We had the power ran last week from the pedastal to our meter rack. When the electric guys popped open the pedastal there were 2 copperheads. They killed one & one got away.

I was watching LSL a couple years ago and they gave a guy a warning ticket for shooting a cotton mouth without a hunting license.

Was the ticket for shooting the snake, or hunting without a license?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a huge oak tree right close to the house. It's probably close to about four feet in diameter at the base of it. The other day I was weedeating around it and got around the back side of it and there was about a 3.5 foot rat or chicken snake crawling up the tree!

I think we scared each other a bit!

A few years back I saw one climbing up a window in the farm house garage to get to a bird's nest. Rat snakes are agile climbers. I took a double take because I couldn't believe it could reach the nest from the inside of a window frame.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A few years back I saw one climbing up a window in the farm house garage to get to a bird's nest. Rat snakes are agile climbers. I took a double take because I couldn't believe it could reach the nest from the inside of a window frame.

My father has one that resides in his barn. Dad calls him Reggie! I have no idea why either. But Dad lets him hang around because Reggie takes care of the birds that use to hang out in the barn making nests and shitting all over everything.

Reggie has scared the crap out me on several occasions!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

PIT VIPERS come in a LOT of "possible color phases". = I've seen COTTONMOUTHS that were NEARLY BLACK & SOME looked similar to a DIAMONDBACK's pattern.

One of our members photographed a PINKISH-TAN, pastel colored, Cottonmouth & posted the photo to SNAKE SPOTTING. = VERY RARE "color phase" was that one!!

yours, satx
    TMN, Alamo Area Chapter

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    To All,

PIT VIPERS come in a LOT of "possible color phases". = I've seen COTTONMOUTHS that were NEARLY BLACK & SOME looked similar to a DIAMONDBACK's pattern.

One of our members photographed a PINKISH-TAN, pastel colored, Cottonmouth & posted the photo to SNAKE SPOTTING. = VERY RARE "color phase" was that one!!

yours, satx
    TMN, Alamo Area Chapter
    1619616516692.jpeg
    1619616555917.jpeg
    1619616600762.jpeg
    All of these are Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes. Had a friend that bred them for all three of these traits. Made good money on them selling to the hot collectors community

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hoji,

I wonder if any of those "color phases" occur NATURALLY in NATURE?? - In my 74 years, I have SEEN exactly ONE ALBINO snake "in the field".

yours, satx

A true albino of any species is very rare, and more so in the wild.

Abnormal color variations are much more common, and can even be bred for in captivity. Not so with an albino.

I thought you would know this, being an expert on wildlife.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hoji,

I wonder if any of those "color phases" occur NATURALLY in NATURE?? - In my 74 years, I have SEEN exactly ONE ALBINO snake "in the field".

yours, satx
    All of them occur in nature. All of his original breeder snakes were wild caught as juveniles. The oddballs like the ones pictured( leucistic ,patternless, and albino) generally don’t grow into adults in the wild.

Top Bottom