DK Firearms

Need .30 cal can: YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom vs AAC 762-SDN-6 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you get?

• YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom

Votes: 9 52.9%
    • AAC 762-SND-6

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    while i have both, i personally like the yhm since after a few mag dump its a Pita to take of the aac. i have to use welding gloves. and got the aac stuck a couple of times due to heat.

Sent from the black hole

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Good read, so now about 2 years out since this thread started, has anyone's opinion changed? I was pretty set on the YHM Titanium QD 7.62 but like the shortness of the AAC. My goal will be to run this on an SBR AR, a 300BLK and 308 bolt guns. Nothing full-auto so no worries there.

Looks like at Silencershop in Austin they are about $25 difference between them, but then there are the AAC mounts.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The specwar blows them both out of the water without a doubt. Ive got the ti phantom and specwar if you want to try them out in person before you buy.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Also a PTR91, A VEPR SBR when I get that done, an AAC 300 SBR build that's in the works, and maybe PTR91 PWD SBR if I decide I like it enough. Basically anything I've got in 30 cal. (also 5.56)

How much experience do you have with roller-locked rifles? Especially the 91 and 51 clones? I can tell you that getting a PTR to run with a can is difficult and with the PDW, next to impossible. You're going to have to work with changing the locking piece and different roller combinations in the bolt carrier to adjust the recoil impulse and cyclic rate so that the bolt carrier isn't slamming back into the rear buffer with every shot. Others have tried and either couldn't get .308/7.62mm to cycle effectively or wound up with internal damage and roller marks (dents in the receiver caused by locking rollers).

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    And personally, I'd give the Specwar 762 a shot or wait for the Saker 762 to come out very soon (as in just about right now!) and see the reviews on it.

MCA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Priddy, TX
    Take a look at the Saker 762 video that Silencer Shop just did and just get in line. Silencerco says they will be in the hands of dealers in May (talked with them yesterday about it).

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    The specwar blows them both out of the water without a doubt. Ive got the ti phantom and specwar if you want to try them out in person before you buy.

That would be awesome, It would be great to take you up on that. Got a range near you, or one you like to go to?

I wasn't considering the Specwar, but it looks interesting. I have read great things about SAKER, glad to know they are out now. The SPECWAR is over $100 less than the YHM TI but it is heavier and longer.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    There werent many options when I bought my phantom a couple years ago but now there are much better choices. What good is a silencer if it does its job poorly? The phantom is loud as hell compared to other newer designs. My recce 7 thats over an inch shorter than the phantom to my ear sounds the exact same. Also the length added measurement is about the same due to the mount design of the specwar. An inch longer and a few ounces isn't a big deal for the better mount and suppression IMO.

The saker is an awesome can but wont be available for form 4s for another two months so it depends on how long you want to wait. If you can wait and this being your first can the saker cant be beat. Best mount out there, nice size, good db reduction, mount flexibility and direct thread capability. No other can offers that range of features. Im on the wait list for one. My specwar will ride my 300blk SBR permanently and the saker will be my AR can.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    There werent many options when I bought my phantom a couple years ago but now there are much better choices. What good is a silencer if it does its job poorly? The phantom is loud as hell compared to other newer designs. My recce 7 thats over an inch shorter than the phantom to my ear sounds the exact same. Also the length added measurement is about the same due to the mount design of the specwar. An inch longer and a few ounces isn't a big deal for the better mount and suppression IMO.

The saker is an awesome can but wont be available for form 4s for another two months so it depends on how long you want to wait. If you can wait and this being your first can the saker cant be beat. Best mount out there, nice size, good db reduction, mount flexibility and direct thread capability. No other can offers that range of features. Im on the wait list for one. My specwar will ride my 300blk SBR permanently and the saker will be my AR can.

better mount and suppression. that's key to me as I'll be sharing the can between several toys. I may wait for saker as im not in a hurry.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    If I didnt have any cans and was just getting into them the saker would be what I ordered without a doubt. Silencershop has a mailing list to be notified when they get them in. Theyre getting the first 450 so they should have plenty to go around for the first batch.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    10-4. cawwed. got my name in the que for a saker. Phone rep guy recommended i do a trust thinggie. not so sure about. I asked to get my name into the que and said i'd go in and talk to the min person as they're only 5 in from my work location.

Time to me is somewhat irrelevant to me. Ruth and I are so dam busy another 1/2 year to 1 year wont mean squat in the grand scheme of things.

I'd take saving the $129.95 trust thing and waiting another 12 months any day, unless you "experts" can talk me out of it.

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Problem is only you or Ruth can be in possession of the the NFA item. If she wanted to go shooting and you went the individual route youd have to be with her as the NFA item is registered to you. Same goes for if you croak, theres no additional paperwork if the NFA item is registered to your trust she still has ownership. Otherwise a form 5 would have to be filled out for all NFA items you owned. Also you will need to get your CLEO to sign off on the paperwork, submit fingerprints and passport photo as well. So how much is your time worth? You will have to jump through those hoops for EVERY NFA item you want to possess. If you go the trust route you can name whoever to it and they can use your toys, you don't have to waste time running forms to and from your CLEOs office, nor do you have to jack with the fingerprints and pictures every time.

The trust route is the only way to fly IMO but Im lazy and I want my family to be able to use my NFA items. They still stay locked up at my house but should my dad or brothers and one day my sons want to borrow my goodies they'll legally be able to.

Top Bottom