Texas SOT

Need .30 cal can: YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom vs AAC 762-SDN-6 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you get?

• YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom

Votes: 9 52.9%
    • AAC 762-SND-6

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I have heard great thing about thunder. I have yet to see conclusive evidence of poi shift data across brands

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You make a good case. I think I will scrape some more pennies together while I ponder this further...

We're planning on a November trip to Gatesville. How far are you from Ft Hood?
    I'll bring my can and Tejano Scott can bring his.

Tapatalk sent it.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I'm outside of El Paso. Solid 10 hrs from Killeen/Austin. Wish I could come and thanks for the invite! I plan to get back in the Hill Country sometime in the next few years. And once I get there, I'm staying for good.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    In my opinion: The AAC is a shorter unit, but more expensive. The Surefire is a good looking unit, but made by...Surefire. YHM is a light (but long) can, cheaper than the other two, with a fugly mount. I went with the Ti YHM 30; I've been running it on a 8" 300 Blackout, 18" REPR, and a 20" 700/P. I also shot it on a customer's .223 AR...worked much better than I expected :) There is about a six month backlog from YHM; the stack of of Ti 30's that I ordered in late January just shipped today. Alex

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Wow that Thunder Beast can looks really nice. Scap, are you using it? If so give your impression of it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Mines the standard 30P-1 thread on.
    I love it. Tejano Scott tea bagged it.

Ask the guys that have shot it at Hicksville and ASC. Everyone has remarked at how quiet it is. I've posted some targets in other threads. My groups are tighter with the can than without.

Tapatalk sent it.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    Consider a Breakout mount instead of the blackout mount. No ring and I am told the break acts as an additional blast baffle.

Personally, the main issue is whether you would want to use it on a 300mag or not. If yes, YHM.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    In my opinion: The AAC is a shorter unit, but more expensive. The Surefire is a good looking unit, but made by...Surefire. YHM is a light (but long) can, cheaper than the other two, with a fugly mount. I went with the Ti YHM 30; I've been running it on a 8" 300 Blackout, 18" REPR, and a 20" 700/P. I also shot it on a customer's .223 AR...worked much better than I expected :) There is about a six month backlog from YHM; the stack of of Ti 30's that I ordered in late January just shipped today. Alex

Good to hear, thanks for the info. At this point I'm thinking it's gonna be between the YHM 30 Ti and the TBAC 30BA. The TBAC is even mo-ugly-uh than the YHM without the can on. But it seems like you will get the same POI every time you put it on. Honestly I was thinking POI shift in terms of suppressed/unsuppressed, as in bullet drop at 100yds when you put the can on. I didn't even really think too much about minor shifts in POI every time you re-attach the can. That could be frustrating. This particular M1A is surprisingly accurate, will do 1" groups or better @100 yrds if I do my part (I am definitely the bottle neck in the system) It would suck if my groups started to wander around every time I put the can on.

I may not even need that adapter for half by 28, the TBAC has a 5/8x24 break which is what the M1A threads are I believe. That's gonna be hella ugly... But it's looks great with the can attached. Very clean.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I see very little POI shift with my AAC 7.62SD but it is not an N6.

They have also totally got rid of the tuning fork noise with the flash hider. I put one of the new 51T flash hiders on my 16" Blackout gun and it does not have that tuning fork noise at all. If you don't like even the chance of that noise use the brake mount instead. That is what I have on my REPR and my FN SPR. It is a great break when shooting with out the can also.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Thanks for the input BigLucky... That makes me even more excited to go pick my new AAC can up.

You will love it bro. It is a kick ass can.

I had an interesting conversation with Mike Mers at the SilencerCO shoot in Dallas back a couple months ago. Apparently the N6 is a better can on shorter barrels than the old 7.62SD, pretty equal on a mid size (16-18") barrel, and the old SD is a little quieter on a long barrel like my 24" FN SPR barrel.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I see very little POI shift with my AAC 7.62SD but it is not an N6.

They have also totally got rid of the tuning fork noise with the flash hider. I put one of the new 51T flash hiders on my 16" Blackout gun and it does not have that tuning fork noise at all. If you don't like even the chance of that noise use the brake mount instead. That is what I have on my REPR and my FN SPR. It is a great break when shooting with out the can also.

I've got a brake out that came on my rifle, and it is a superb brake.
    The 30P-1 relegated the brake out to thread protector status.

Tapatalk sent it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You will love it bro. It is a kick ass can.

I had an interesting conversation with Mike Mers at the SilencerCO shoot in Dallas back a couple months ago. Apparently the N6 is a better can on shorter barrels than the old 7.62SD, pretty equal on a mid size (16-18") barrel, and the old SD is a little quieter on a long barrel like my 24" FN SPR barrel.

Mers is good people.

Tapatalk sent it.

Top Bottom