• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Ad hominem attacks reveal a lot about the individual that wields them.

When you learn to debate intelligently, come back to the table.

When you accuse others of an ad hominem attack, you shouldn't write things like:

"I trust the word of the man on the ground a hell of a lot more than a journalist, intelligence weenie, or the fkn enemy."

Your emotional gullibility is based on your own words. The man on the ground has just as much agency to lie as anyone else.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    By the way, the report Darack cites of the estimate of 8-10 fighters wiping out the SEAL's was sourced by analysts listening in on communications after the battle. Darack states the intel people had zero clue what the dispositions were before the battle.

I chuckled when I read that. Seriously.

Now I understand the problem. There’s a difference in perspective between learning from a book and actually doing it for a living.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    I chuckled when I read that. Seriously.

Now I understand the problem. There’s a difference in perspective between learning from a book and actually doing it for a living.

So when Ahmad Shah confirms those lower numbers as opposed to the fantastical 80-200 fighters number, he wasn't "doing it for a living"? Or is he just the "fkn enemy" and never to be trusted?

I am genuinely asking why you trust Marcus Luttrell absolutely even after he had his lawyer accuse the Afghan who saved his life of lying when he questioned the book/movie:

https://www.newsweek.com/2016/06/10...lone-survivor-operation-red-wings-458139.html

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I dont have a dog in this fight. But I would trust a two buck hooker at a truck stop before I trusted a military intelligence report

It's not just intel reporting; but since everyone is so quick to dismiss it (until it comes time to blame mission failure on it), it's not worth arguing how much accurate intelligence there is/was, and how much Luttrell's (if you're going to worship him, maybe start by spelling his name correctly!) own account has been debated by his fellow operators. The keyboard warriors will believe what they read on the Internet...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    By the way, Luttrell didn't even write Lone Survivor. Patrick Robinson, a British military fiction writer, interviewed him and then wrote it.

Regardless, Luttrell has either supported or changed the narrative numerous times since the book came out, such as increasing the number of alleged Taliban attackers and other details and other very basic facts that are wrong.

For one, in "his" book, Luttrell often refers to their satellite phone (most commonly refereed to as a "Thuraya") as a "cell phone," a distinction any special operator would know.

The book claims Ahmad Shah, the target of Operation Red Wings, as "one of the baddest dudes in all of Afghanistan. A dude who buddies around with Osama bin Laden. A bad mamma-jamma that may have had a hand in 9/11. And as I said earlier, he also runs an army of 80 to 200 insurgent/terrorists," none of which were true. He was barely on the radar, and was affiliated with Hezb Il Gulbuddin, not Al Qaeda. And he never had 80 to 200 men under his control.

Lastly, in both "his" book and later public appearances, Luttrell speculates that the ambush had probably 140 people in it, if not more. He describes his team as mowing down dozens of enemy. He describes multiple patrols of Taliban scouring the countryside for him. Numerous reports from both sides state the ambush probably only used 8-10 of Ahmad Shah’s men and “accidental guerrillas” making up the rest. The ambush succeeded because of the use of RPGs, machine guns and terrain, not overwhelming numbers.

Ed Darack, who wrote Victory Point which many believe is the definitive account on Operation Red Wings, summed it up best:

"I think that the narrative of a four-man Navy SEAL team being deployed to take on a group of hundreds under the leadership of the right-hand man of the world's most wanted individual has all the makings of an edge-of-your-seat military action thriller. But it doesn't happen in reality. And it certainly wasn't the case in Red Wings."

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    It's not just intel reporting; but since everyone is so quick to dismiss it (until it comes time to blame mission failure on it), it's not worth arguing how much accurate intelligence there is/was, and how much Luttrell's (if you're going to worship him, maybe start by spelling his name correctly!) own account has been debated by his fellow operators. The keyboard warriors will believe what they read on the Internet...

I dont think I stated that I believed Luttrell over the journalist guy. All I was saying is that military intel has a knack for giving bad info.

Dman is over there having an aneurysm. Go get laid dude

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    I dont think I stated that I believed Luttrell over the journalist guy. All I was saying is that military intel has a knack for giving bad info.

Dman is over there having an aneurysm. Go get laid dude

Michael Murphy's MOH citation records a lower number of fighters than Luttrell's claims. Seems like everyone in the military is lying LOL.

Yea military intel has never been off ever

Yea grunts would never lie to cover their ass ever.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    8A16E27D-0606-4978-8905-F3BD44A3D6C2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8A16E27D-0606-4978-8905-F3BD44A3D6C2.jpeg
      8A16E27D-0606-4978-8905-F3BD44A3D6C2.jpeg
      88 KB · Views: 446

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Michael Murphy's MOH citation records a lower number of fighters than Luttrell's claims. Seems like everyone in the military is lying LOL.

Yea grunts would never lie to cover their ass ever.

Not sure how you got that from what I have said. All I said was military intel is known to be flawed. Sometimes its good but it should be approached with a grain of salt. I definitely wouldn't trust it

Like I said before I dont even know enough about this mission to defend Luttrell or his claims, my 2 cents was about intel and my intention was to not take intel as the biblical truth. If you got something more out of that, then Idk what the **** to tell you

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    then Idk what the **** to tell you

Absolutely nothing? Your distrust of military intel adds zero weight either for or against Luttrell's veracity.

The problem here is it is not just military intel contradicting Luttrell, but inconsistencies with Luttrell's own tellings, contradictory accounts from the Afghan who saved Luttrell's ass as well as the Afghans who won the battle, and lastly, skepticism from Luttrell's comrades on the "vote to execute the goat-herder" story.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Absolutely nothing? Your distrust of military intel adds zero weight either for or against Luttrell's veracity.

The problem here is it is not just military intel contradicting Luttrell, but inconsistencies with Luttrell's own tellings, contradictory accounts from the Afghan who saved Luttrell's ass as well as the Afghans who won the battle, and lastly, skepticism from Luttrell's comrades on the "vote to execute the goat-herder" story.
    Edit: Im bowing out of this one. You and the major can continue the sperg out

Top Bottom