• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Don't believe what you see in the movies...
    I’m not going by the movie, I going by what Marcus Latrell wrote in his book.
    Marcus wrote that Axe wanted to kill them, Dietz didn’t say either way, and so Murphy ask Marcus and Marcus said “We gotta let em go”

Those are the words of the guy who was there when it went down.
    Lynx Defense

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Thinking back to another seal team mission..if those seals that were on Operation Red Wings had have went ahead and killed those Afghan Goat herder insurgents, none of the Hell that came down killing all of Marcus Lutrells team and that whole helo full of the rescue teams wouldn't have happened and they would be alive today
    Lots of widows and orphaned American children that day that we traded for the lives of those POS

Why would you label this goat herder an "insurgent" and call for his extrajudicial execution just to pretend it would lend success to a mission that was doomed from the start? Go read Ed Darack's account: from the total lack of intelligence, the broken radio codes, the lack of proper equipment, the whole thing was an exercise in hubris.

According to the Taliban themselves, they all heard the helicopter fly into the valley to drop the team off and started looking for them. One of the search teams spotted the team and wiped it out. The end.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I’m not going by the movie, I going by what Marcus Latrell wrote in his book.
    Marcus wrote that Axe wanted to kill them, Dietz didn’t say either way, and so Murphy ask Marcus and Marcus said “We gotta let em go”

Those are the words of the guy who was there when it went down.

Luttrell's book (and the subsequent movie) are Luttrell's side of the story...and there are numerous reports that contradict it, including his own AAR...

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I bet there’s not a day that goes by that Mr Latrell doesn’t think about the choices they made.

Speaking of SEAL’s, the prez and congress has jumped into the fray regarding the incarceration of the operator referenced in the OP.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Luttrell's book (and the subsequent movie) are Luttrell's side of the story...and there are numerous reports that contradict it, including his own AAR...
    Numerous reports?
    He is the only person on earth alive who was there when it that conversation happened unless you are talking about the goat herders.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    Numerous reports?
    He is the only person on earth alive who was there when it happened unless you are talking about the goat herders. LOL

In his book, "Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers – the Marine Corps' Battle for Freedom in Afghanistan", military journalist Ed Darack cites a military intelligence report stating the strength of the Taliban force to be 8–10, compared to the 80-200 claimed by Luttrell in Lone Survivor.

Ahmad Shah was interviewed after the battle and contradicted the goat herder story and said that everyone heard the SEAL's coming in.

The claim in Luttrell's memoir Lone Survivor, written with Patrick Robinson, that Lieutenant Murphy even considered and then put to vote the possible execution of the unarmed civilians who stumbled upon the SEAL reconnaissance and surveillance team has been roundly criticized and dismissed by many as fiction. In an article by Sean Naylor, Army Times senior correspondent, Navy Special Warfare Command spokesman Lieutenant Steve Ruh stated that with respect to making command decisions in the field, "Whether they're officer or enlisted, the senior guy ultimately has the ultimate authority." And with regards to voting whether or not to execute unarmed civilians, he admitted, "This is the first time I've ever heard of anything put to a vote like that. In my 14 years of Navy experience, I've never seen or heard of anything like that."

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Numerous reports?
    He is the only person on earth alive who was there when it that conversation happened unless you are talking about the goat herders.

Yes, numerous reports; some available to the public and some not.

And the fact that he is the only living survivor of the action doesn't mean everything he says about it is true.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    K
    In his book, "Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers – the Marine Corps' Battle for Freedom in Afghanistan", military journalist Ed Darack cites a military intelligence report stating the strength of the Taliban force to be 8–10, compared to the 80-200 claimed by Luttrell in Lone Survivor.

Ahmad Shah was interviewed after the battle and contradicted the goat herder story and said that everyone heard the SEAL's coming in.

Kinda contradicting, military intelligence saying they knew the strength of the opposition forces yet didn’t know their mission was compromised, particularly
    when you factor SIGINT capabilities into the equation.

I wore a uniform. I don’t put much stock in what an intelligence weenie has to say after the fact.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yes, numerous reports; some available to the public and some not.

And the fact that he is the only living survivor of the action doesn't mean everything he says about it is true.
    So then if Lutrell is the only living American military person of the 4 who debated the killing of the goat herders, then all of these "numerous " reports have to come from Luttrell himself. If there are contradictions in what was discussed, then those differences all originated from Luttrell.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I wore a uniform. I don’t put much stock in what an intelligence weenie has to say after the fact.

If you ever had to sit through a daily briefing, reading an S2 report after an engagement you were involved in, was barely a cut above reading a newspaper article.

Things might have changed, but I doubt it ...

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    K

Kinda contradicting, military intelligence saying they knew the strength of the opposition forces yet didn’t know their mission was compromised, particularly
    when you factor SIGINT capabilities into the equation.

In regards to these SEAL's, apparently they don't put much stock in anything the weenies have to say before or after the fact, to their own detriment.

By the way, the report Darack cites of the estimate of 8-10 fighters wiping out the SEAL's was sourced by analysts listening in on communications after the battle. Darack states the intel people had zero clue what the dispositions were before the battle.

But that didn't stop the SEAL's from questioning the mission, since the Taliban are just a bunch of illiterate goat herders who can't fight, or something like that.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    We’re you there?

I wasn’t.

Knowing the amount of resources and effort put into training a SOCOM operator, I trust Mr. Latrell a hell of a lot more than an armchair warrior.

Last edited:

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    So then if Lutrell is the only living American military person of the 4 who debated the killing of the goat herders, then all of these "numerous " reports have to come from Luttrell himself. If there are contradictions in what was discussed, then those differences all originated from Luttrell.

Let's make things clear. The contradicting reports are in regards to the number of enemy fighters they faced and the manner in which Luttrell was rescued.

There are no reports contradicting the "voting to murder a civilian" story. The critique is simply that it is a ludicrous tall tale and nobody with any sense would believe it.

dmancornell

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Austin
    We’re you there?

I wasn’t.

Knowing the amount of resources and effort put into training a SOCOM operator, particularly a SEAL, I trust Mr. Latrell a hell of a lot more than an armchair warrior.

I didn't know veracity is part of SEAL training. My bad.

Yours is the appeal to faith logical fallacy. By parity of argument, no crime sans eyewitness committed by a person with a subjectively superior moral character compared to a prosecutor can ever be prosecuted.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I'm glad when people admit their gullibility is based on emotion rather than a track record of veracity....

Ad hominem attacks reveal a lot about the individual that wields them.

When you learn to debate intelligently, come back to the table.

Top Bottom