• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I have no out of town land and don't varmint hunt much as a result. Why the heck is a thermal or IR optic calling my name. Dangit - from what I read - $700.00 is the going rate for a serviceable unit. Anyone want to talk me out of it? Where else could I better spend the $? Otherwise, I feel we have prepared fairly well to stay home when things get crazy.
    I pulled the trigger on this one. Got one hell of a deal from Amazon on a solidly reviewed solution. Don't know if there are any left, but y'all might want to grab it up for <$450.00 if you can.

caddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2023
    Houston
    I have never prepped before. The most prepping I have done was watch prepper shows on TV as entertainment. I live in the city and like others got used to the comfort provided by being on city power, water and sewer. The only issue is when power goes out during storms. I bought a generator during Harvey because we lost power for like 12 days. Since then i have only used the generator a handful of times. The last time we used it was during the freeze that had rolling power outages.

Now I see a need to be more prepared than what I had been. I am hoping to buy some land away from the big city to build on and also plant some crops to get used to growing some of my food incase it is needed in the future. So I have some catching up to do.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I have never prepped before. The most prepping I have done was watch prepper shows on TV as entertainment. I live in the city and like others got used to the comfort provided by being on city power, water and sewer. The only issue is when power goes out during storms. I bought a generator during Harvey because we lost power for like 12 days. Since then i have only used the generator a handful of times. The last time we used it was during the freeze that had rolling power outages.

Now I see a need to be more prepared than what I had been. I am hoping to buy some land away from the big city to build on and also plant some crops to get used to growing some of my food incase it is needed in the future. So I have some catching up to do.
    Growing crops takes time. To me prepping means having things on hand now, never knowing what tomorrow may bring in very unstable times.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    One thing you could do now is practice growing food in containers if you have access to a bit of sunlight - porch, balcony, etc... or even inside a south facing window works well for small plants, herbs.

Point being, start up the learning curve now, and welcome to the forum. You've already made some nice posts. :)

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    What is your reasoning behind this statement?

Just curious.
    I agree with Max, for two reasons: They think they're ready and they're not because of things they didn't think of - or, and more likely, they are somewhat prepped but didn't keep their mouth shut about what they have.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    @no2gates - Any update on the freeze dryer? I dehydrate protein & some veggies with a 6-tray Cosori, works great. Thought about a freeze dryer but decided to not.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    @no2gates - Any update on the freeze dryer? I dehydrate protein & some veggies with a 6-tray Cosori, works great. Thought about a freeze dryer but decided to not.
    Got it a week ago and it's been working great so far. My wife has made the most delicious freeze dried pickles with it. They are great !
    ETA: Oh, and Freeze Dried Tajin Skittles are out of this world.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I agree with Max, for two reasons: They think they're ready and they're not because of things they didn't think of - or, and more likely, they are somewhat prepped but didn't keep their mouth shut about what they have.
    I agree but none of us have ever experienced having to "prep". I make sure we always have at least 24 gallons of water and lots of protein like black beans, fish like canned mackerel and tuna, some canned soups. But hell, how long are we supposed to live on all that ? Is best we never have to find out because if and when it happens, we won't be able to process it physically, mentally or emotionally.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    What is your reasoning behind this statement?

Just curious.

I've seen some of these "expert preppers" put to the test, and failing miserably!

Most have never exercised the vast majority of their plan, if they even really have one; and have no idea of any vulnerabilities or shortfalls they may contain.

Secondly, most preppers I've encountered are badly out of shape and/or overweight.

Thirdly, most have no real long-term sustainment built into their plans. 50-60 days worth of food really isn't going to make much of an impact, and given the above observation, it will likely go quicker than they realize.

Case in point, during the five days without power and water in San Antonio during the winter storm of February 2021, a significant portion of the population was running out of food and water.

Lastly, and there are probably a lot more factors which will lead to the failure of these individuals, the vast majority of these preppers do not possess the required skills necessary for survive for any significant period of time.

Oh, and most likely, they individuals will be overconfident in their perceived abilities and due to their poor OPSEC will be some of the first targets of those who truly understand the situation and how to deal with it!

To be fair, if something of truly apocalyptic level occurs, 99.9% of the population won't survive it so it's all a moot point and waste of time and money. I'll just enjoy what little time I have left on this earth, be it another day or another couple of decades, and not worry about such nonsense...

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    It’s the EMP that’ll do us dirty. Read a book recently that lays out simply - one year of food and water source per person will be needed to get past it. Seems reasonable to me. At that point - food/booze/drugs/ammo will be the currency of the day.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I started buying prep food since COVID. While I used to laugh at preppers, that event told me I can't trust anything coming out of D.C., and I don't see it getting better. I also added more propane and bought a solar generator. As far as night vision, while I did like my Wraith, it pales to my new thermal. I went slowly, but now I've built up quite a supply.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    It’s the EMP that’ll do us dirty. Read a book recently that lays out simply - one year of food and water source per person will be needed to get past it. Seems reasonable to me. At that point - food/booze/drugs/ammo will be the currency of the day.
    Our long term plan relies on trade goods; but that has a real major flaw. Once it's 'known' that there are items here, we'll be the biggest target in the area. We've made our decisions on that, though, and are at peace with them.

Top Bottom