• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I have no out of town land and don't varmint hunt much as a result. Why the heck is a thermal or IR optic calling my name. Dangit - from what I read - $700.00 is the going rate for a serviceable unit. Anyone want to talk me out of it? Where else could I better spend the $? Otherwise, I feel we have prepared fairly well to stay home when things get crazy.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    How long can you keep the freezer running if there's no power?

For Hurricane Rita, we staged in Beaumont, did Hardin County, based in Kountze (county seat), then relocated to Silsbee (against FEMA’s wishes).

Fist thing we did was take business owners to check their properties we were guarding. Outback Steak house manager had us take all the steak from the freezer for us to grill (at the Ford Arena). In Silsbee, we were delivering water and food at the Fire Station and some locals brought us whole smoked briskets, saying their freezers went out and there was no way they keep it or eat it all, so they smoked it and gave it to us.

Probably the best fed we ever were on a disaster mission. Because there was no power or fuel for most generators or vehicles.

I keep propane, gasoline and stuff at my house, with a duel fuel generator. Canned goods and food in jars, mountain house meals, and 30 year number 10 freeze dried food stored just in case. My freeze dried food won’t expire in my lifetime, and gives me months of food if it comes to it, or something I can mix with other food if need be (funny thing is inflation went up so much, the freeze dried food is worth it).

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I have no out of town land and don't varmint hunt much as a result. Why the heck is a thermal or IR optic calling my name. Dangit - from what I read - $700.00 is the going rate for a serviceable unit. Anyone want to talk me out of it? Where else could I better spend the $? Otherwise, I feel we have prepared fairly well to stay home when things get crazy.
    Those optics have been getting kinda noisy around here too :laughing:
    Glad to hear you're fairly well ready, especially if you live in reach of the hot hungry hordes.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    We've been prepping for about 12 years. we have a separate walk-in closet with all the canned and dry goods we consider "preps".
    We go through it once every couple of months, rotate out what we normally use with our normal usage and replace with newer.
    Also have 20 to 25 year freeze-dried cans of various food by Auguson Farms and Emergency Essentials.
    For frozen preps, we have 2 freezers in the garage stocked with meats and pre-made meals.
    Since we have a solar system with battery backup, if the power does go out for a while, we're in good shape (unless an EMP hits, in which case we're just as screwed as everyone else), so that will keep the frozen food frozen. Also have a gasoline 4k generator we got before the solar, but it's just a secondary backup in case something happened to the solar (like a few really stormy days with next to no sunlight).

Reactions: gll

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    We've been prepping for about 12 years. we have a separate walk-in closet with all the canned and dry goods we consider "preps".
    We go through it once every couple of months, rotate out what we normally use with our normal usage and replace with newer.
    Also have 20 to 25 year freeze-dried cans of various food by Auguson Farms and Emergency Essentials.
    For frozen preps, we have 2 freezers in the garage stocked with meats and pre-made meals.
    Since we have a solar system with battery backup, if the power does go out for a while, we're in good shape (unless an EMP hits, in which case we're just as screwed as everyone else), so that will keep the frozen food frozen. Also have a gasoline 4k generator we got before the solar, but it's just a secondary backup in case something happened to the solar (like a few really stormy days with next to no sunlight).
    Our setup is similar re gens/foodpreps. No big solar here, we're more EMP ready.
    Also have two large pressure canners and dedicated qt jars/lids, to quickly process over a wood fire, the meats out of the freezers - IF, depending on the situation, it looks like fuel replacement will be nonexistent.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    That reminds me, I need to get a few extra blades for my bow saw.
    I have a bow saw, but I also have a Dewalt 20v chainsaw (the only saw I used last year and so far this year), also a bunch of batteries and a 2nd Dewalt NIB for backup.

I also have a huge pile 15 x 30 x 8 feet, as well as some smaller piles, that I harvested when I was clearing cedar years ago. It'll serve for firewood in a pinch. My plan for it originally was as wood gas fuel, but the closer I got to implementing that plan, the more fueling it looked like real work... That's when I turned to solar.

I'm good on power for freezers, unless there is an EMP, but then all hope for this old man is probably lost anyway.

I see SHTF tech as a stopgap on the way to more "traditional living", but I'd like to use it as long as I can!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Our setup is similar re gens/foodpreps. No big solar here, we're more EMP ready.
    Also have two large pressure canners and dedicated qt jars/lids, to quickly process over a wood fire, the meats out of the freezers - IF, depending on the situation, it looks like fuel replacement will be nonexistent.
    I don't have full backup for my "big solar", but I do have some panels and a couple controllers and inverters in storage for EMP backup.

It's really not very clear how much small tech an EMP would take out, anyway.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I don't have full backup for my "big solar", but I do have some panels and a couple controllers and inverters in storage for EMP backup.

It's really not very clear how much small tech an EMP would take out, anyway.
    My understanding is anything it reaches that has a chip.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My understanding is anything it reaches that has a chip.
    It depends on many factors. The distance from the EMP, the source of the EMP, the intensity. Then depending on those factors, it depends on what the device has as far as it's circuitry. Generally speaking, the denser the circuitry on a chip, the more susceptible it is to an EMP. A TI calculator from the late 70's might get by, but a smart phone would be bricked.

Top Bottom