• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Dawico, cool truck.. I have a question could the weight of this rig crack your driveway?
    The truck weighs 20,000 pounds but it is spread out over a big area. The contact area of each tire is probably twice what a normal car is. I don't think it will be an issue.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Took her out and hit the beach today with my wife's Pathfinder. Had a good time with the little bit of time we had. Blew a tire on the way out and took two hours to change it. I need to retool a little bit to cut that time in half.

Wife's Pathfinder was fun as hell to run around in. It did very well in the soft sand. You can have a ton of fun when you know a pull out is going to be cake.

That is the problem with the big truck. Nobody around was going to be able to pull that sucker out. That kinda limited the fun. It did crawl right through the sand with no problems. The muddy soft sand was a different story. I almost buried it on my first and only attempt. I didn't think I wanted to tempt fate much after that.

Just a few pics since our time was so short because of the tire incident.

The hole I backed out of. Barely. Front and second axle pushing mud.

That was fun. Once I got it out.

a55b0f08feff701aa263bb5ac1727f40.jpg

Probably would have just signed the title and walked away if it got stuck.

235f7eacb0c5a25f1803ce0916403596.jpg

I promise more and better pics next time. This was just a little impromptu run to test our all wheel drive systems and they worked well.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Did you say it has an auto air compressor to deflate and inflate the tires? Didn't that help?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    LMAO, your wife must be super cool.

I think I asked before and you said her sister has gone bonkers, true? :evil:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    LMAO, your wife must be super cool.

I think I asked before and you said her sister has gone bonkers, true? :evil:
    Gone bonkers and really not much to look at, and she is married.

They are nothing alike, my wife and her sister. Well, my wife is a little bonkers, but hot so it is ok.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Did you say it has an auto air compressor to deflate and inflate the tires? Didn't that help?
    Yes, it has the CTIS system (central tire inflation system) which allows you to inflate or deflate the tires from the cab. It also has an air brake system that can be tapped into to air up tires manually.

But the truck is just too heavy to be a serious mudder in bottomless areas, especially on the front axle.

They will hold their own in the sand though.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Dawico is the coolest guy on TGT right now.. sorry other guys.. you suck now

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I would have traded my first wife for a matchbox car.

I traded my entire paid-off house to be rid of my ex. I just walked away and never looked back. Financially, I started all over again from ground zero.

But let's get back to this very kewl SHTF truck!!:)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Now, if you can just find some OD/camo license plates to match.
    Actually, the laws on MVs are really strange but make sense too. They register under the Antique registration. What this means:

No inspection
    No seatbelts (obviously still recommended)
    One plate just on the rear or numbers stenciled on the bumper (my route)
    Sign a waiver instead of carry insurance (kind of a gray area honestly, but I do have insurance)
    I do not have to change it from it's military configuration, so technically I do not have to stencil the plate number on it or put the registration sticker on the window ( but I will do both just to avoid hassles)
    Even a 2014 ex MV is considered an antique
    Registration costs $60 for five years and is prorated from when it was last registered (besides sales tax my registration cost $48 and is good until 2018)

When you get into Texas law covering MVs it is pretty straight forward and easy to interpret but I am also on a forum where a member runs through them and covers the main points.

The one part on owning a 5 ton truck that can't be avoided is having a CDL with air brake endorsement. I do have that already so I am covered. A Duece and a Half does not require that though.

Another gray area is registering these as an RV. This gets you out of the CDL requirement but is a very gray area and again, I chose not to persue this to avoid any hassles.

If anybody chooses to get a MV I suggest you do your homework beforehand. My Tax Accessors office wasn't too familiar with the registration and I had to help a little to move the process along. It is a fairly straightforward process but many offices do not deal with these often.

---- Ofcourse my disclaimer ---- I am by no means an expert on this stuff and am still learning and the laws are always changing. This is just my interpretation of what I have read so far. ----

Last edited:
    Top Bottom