• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I finally turned a wrench on my 69 Chevy today. Why not start a thread?

I had the tranny rebuilt first thing. I haven't driven this truck except in the driveway. The brake pedal sinks to the floor before it stops. It's a little low on fluid so there is probably a leak and air in the system. It's not power brakes and drums all the way around. Most of the brakes look okay (parking brake cables are gone) except for the right front. It has been sitting for a long time so the leak isn't very obvious but this side is 'moister' than the rest and the shoe looks like this.

IMAG0739.jpg

Here is an overall pic. I have a lot of work to do.

IMAG0740.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You definitely have your work cut out for you with that one. One foot in front of the other on a project like that. Good luck and remember, it isn't the destination but the journey.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    That is a nice looking, solid body in the pics you have. Personally, I would trade that out for a disc brake ...get rid of those from drums. I'm not an expert on this, but I have friends that had traded out and it wasn't that big a deal. Hell the guy down the road has a 62 Chevy sitting on a 70 maliboou frame with 4 wheel disc and a 1990's IROC 350

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Front discs/power brakes are in the plans. This is a budget build though so I have to wait until I find the right deal.

BTW it has a Pontiac 400 in it.

IMAG0470-1001233259.jpg

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Front discs/power brakes are in the plans. This is a budget build though so I have to wait until I find the right deal.

BTW it has a Pontiac 400 in it.

IMAG0470-1001233259.jpg
    Well...II see how you are.....hold all the details back on us. Out of the Small Block GM motors, a Pontiac 400....damn it man!!! Good Choice. I had a 69 RA 400 Firebird, that my oldest son got for his 23rd Birthday...he traded it for a down payment on his first house.

dude, I just got a boner....

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'm not sold on this engine yet though. Somebody threw this truck together and it ain't right, it runs okay but I have to line the pulleys up before I drive it to fay.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I'm not sold on this engine yet though. Somebody threw this truck together and it ain't right, it runs okay but I have to line the pulleys up before I drive it to fay.
    One thing to do with the 400...drop an electronic ignition in.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    IDK. I have an old Pontiac guy that lives down the street. I'm gonna have him look at it.
    Pontiac and Buick made some of the best small block GM motors. If you want to ditch that 400 let me know.

My project is a 1970 f-100 with a 360, 3 speed and I am not a Ford man.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I don't think that is an older 60's early 70's pontiac...with after market vlve covers... I can not remember how the carb hooked up, but that does not look like a Rochester Carb, but it has been years since I rebuilt one... hell I had dudes that use to call me the Charlie Daniels of the Carburator. I use to rebuild carbs in my sleep...

Oh yeah it is...the choke .....yeah it's a Rochester?

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Sweet project! Plz keep us updated with photos. Have you decided on a color?
    The orginal color is called NEW Green...(light Green) it has set in my drive for 2 years and I have more than 60 notes that have been attached...if you want to sell this truck call me...

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I don't think that is an older 60's early 70's pontiac...with after market vlve covers... I can not remember how the carb hooked up, but that does not look like a Rochester Carb, but it has been years since I rebuilt one... hell I had dudes that use to call me the Charlie Daniels of the Carburator. I use to rebuild carbs in my sleep...

Oh yeah it is...the choke .....yeah it's a Rochester?

I'm a paint and body guy so I don't really know what I have. I do know it's got HEI and an Edelbrok carband it seems to run pretty good.

Top Bottom