• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Her first experiment with this was with a NY strip steak and she says it turned out great. I had to go to Virginia after just two days in the dehydrator so I did not get to try any.
    This time maybe I will be lucky and not have to go out of town;).
    Using the core muscle from a rear leg. It is currently curing in vinegar and traditional spices.
    Capitol Armory ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    @baboon
    You have experienced biltong in its native environment. Thoughts?
    Went on an Amarula & Biltong bender one night, after a month in the bush. Biltong was great, but I liked Droëwors much better. Biltong was consumed 2 ways beat with a hammer or criss cross cutting it on the stick.

The kudu I shot was made into biltong. It was a young bull who was big bodied, with the horns not full developed.

Last trip I made I was given a a length of Gemsbok biltong so long it had to be cut in half to fit my Filson Medium Duffle that was my carry on bag. As the plane was on the approach to Atlanta they made an announcement about any & all meat products from RSA being contraband. Going to customs I see a DHS guy with a beagle. He ask if I had any dried meat? Then had his dog work my luggage. His dog circled around in & out of my 3 pieces of luggage & thanked me.

When I got home I started to unpack my duffle, but decided I better call the wife. In the time I caller her our then Australian Shepherd Sam got into the hag & grabbed the smaller piece I had been snacking on. How he managed to swallow it was beyond me. The other piece I broke out on special occasions & had for almost a year.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    pics or GTFO
    EDED79A1-7409-4B28-AB32-B1FE334BA29A.jpeg
    Not much to see yet

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was working in Clear Lake i had a customer whose accent I readily redneckanized as Afrekanns. I made him lots of Boerswors sausage while at that store. He asked about biltong & Droëwors. I told him the internet was his friends. It can be bought online.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    It's odd how groups of folks can be criticized for being a generally unfriendly lot like the French have a reputation for being, who I found (generally) quite friendly.

Afrekanns not so much. mostly standoffish/unfriendly - so too, the Dutch in Holland and in the Caribbean.

When I was in Bonaire, the most unfriendly people were of Dutch descent.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...Amarula ...

Helluva choice to start a bender on, I’d have to hook up to a 55-gal drum, but then it’d end up as a diabetic stupor.

We can find it locally whenever I want to traipse down that particular memory lane. Usually ends up in my coffee.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Helluva choice to start a bender on, I’d have to hook up to a 55-gal drum, but then it’d end up as a diabetic stupor.

We can find it locally whenever I want to traipse down that particular memory lane. Usually ends up in my coffee.
    Booze never lasted like you planned while on safari. The Amarulla was all the was left over in camp. Drank some mean sugar cane shine while in Africa. It always freaked me out how the liquor stores seemed so American like with all the Miller & Budweisser promo crap everywhere. We most drank Castle and they are the ones who bought Miller.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It's odd how groups of folks can be criticized for being a generally unfriendly lot like the French have a reputation for being, who I found (generally) quite friendly.

Afrokaans not so much. mostly standoffish/unfriendly - so too, the Dutch in Holland and in the Caribbean.

When I was in Bonaire, the most unfriendly people were of Dutch descent.
    Afrikanns people are very proud of their heritage. The P.H.'s I knew kids went to the Afrikanns school.They hate the english worse then Americans! Their were not allowed to watch TV or movies in English. Those same people are under genocide currently!

Top Bottom