• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Hi. My wife and I have lived in a number of places across America, but all at the behest of the companies I've worked for (other than where I was born, of course). I retired at the beginning of this year, and the FIRST thing we decided to do was to get the "heck" out of the people's republic of Massachusetts! We visited several "red" states, looking for the right fit. Decided on the hill country of TX. My home went onto the MLS early this AM, and we should have it sold in short order. Once the deal closes, we're out of here. A close friend in another free state congratulated us and referred to our relocation as "moving to America". :usflag:

We're tired of being surrounded by people who think they're better/smarter than we are, and that we're actually evil because we don't think the way they do. In MA, the only place we were surrounded by free thinking friends was at the Rod and Gun Club near our home. Hope to establish new friends in TX, and get involved with a new club or two where we can indulge in shooting sports and precision handloading without being thought of as the reincarnation of Nazis. Hope to also continue learning about firearms/shooting/loading from members of Texas Gun Talk as well!
    Venture Surplus ad

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Hi. My wife and I have lived in a number of places across America, but all at the behest of the companies I've worked for (other than where I was born, of course). I retired at the beginning of this year, and the FIRST thing we decided to do was to get the "heck" out of the people's republic of Massachusetts! We visited several "red" states, looking for the right fit. Decided on the hill country of TX. My home went onto the MLS early this AM, and we should have it sold in short order. Once the deal closes, we're out of here. A close friend in another free state congratulated us and referred to our relocation as "moving to America". :usflag:

We're tired of being surrounded by people who think they're better/smarter than we are, and that we're actually evil because we don't think the way they do. In MA, the only place we were surrounded by free thinking friends was at the Rod and Gun Club near our home. Hope to establish new friends in TX, and get involved with a new club or two where we can indulge in shooting sports and precision handloading without being thought of as the reincarnation of Nazis. Hope to also continue learning about firearms/shooting/loading from members of Texas Gun Talk as well!
    Welcome! Please wash off the Massachusetts before entering Texas, thank you!

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Howdy.
    You'll learn more than you want to know here.
    Trust me.
    @Vaquero: Maybe, but I received the same threat (grin) when I joined the Northeast Shooters forum a couple of years ago. Have certainly learned a lot, but have also met a number of friends (on-line and subsequently F2F) that have become important to me. Mentors, jokesters, sources of loading information, and shooting partners. Pretty standard approach approach is to bust each others cojones in that forum - presume it's the same here!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    @Vaquero: Maybe, but I received the same threat (grin) when I joined the Northeast Shooters forum a couple of years ago. Have certainly learned a lot, but have also met a number of friends (on-line and subsequently F2F) that have become important to me. Mentors, jokesters, sources of loading information, and shooting partners. Pretty standard approach approach is to bust each others cojones in that forum - presume it's the same here!
    You'll do.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Seeing that you're moving from NE, I'll make a suggestion. Or two.
    Whatever house you're serious about buying, make sure the inspection of the AC/heat is thorough.
    Request an outage history from the electric provider at that address.

Been here all my life. I've got backups for backups.
    We're kinda independent.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Seeing that you're moving from NE, I'll make a suggestion. Or two.
    Whatever house you're serious about buying, make sure the inspection of the AC/heat is thorough.
    Request an outage history from the electric provider at that address.

Been here all my life. I've got backups for backups.
    We're kinda independent.
    MANY thanks for the advice. Will certainly do so. Also considering the possibility/cost/benefit of either a standby generator and/or solar with storage. Have lived in Phoenix, AZ and Omaha, NE so I've seen both months of temps above 100, and winter temperatures well below zero. Also was "lucky" enough to be living in New Jersey during Superstorm Sandy - 2 weeks without power.

Would gratefully appreciate any additional advice members here are willing to provide as we make our move!

Top Bottom