Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Um having multiple guns is not super rational either

"Fear the man who owns only one gun" or something like that.

My rifle and scope cost more than the can, and the can goes on 4 different rifles.

It's not even about "fun". The rifle shoots better with the can and so do I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I think anything bigger then a 22 and a can is kinda useless for "plinking fun" i still wear ears w my AR can
    Depends on your definition of plinking.

I heard of an old man shooting groundhogs with his 7mm Magnum. When asked why his response was "Because I can".

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Agreed. I have a $99 Simmons Scope on my 10/22 for 20+ years and it works great.
    Isn't that about $50 too much for a Simmons? ;)

Truth is, you can hardly refer to it as "technology" outside of the metallurgy aspect. Ain't a whole lot of 1's and 0's involved in the development and construction of suppressors. Lol
    I'm one of the first people to roll my eyes at the latest marketing buzzword named $1500 suppressor, but there is a fair amount of technology involved. The outcomes of innovation in suppressors is in making them smaller and lighter. Like you say metallurgy plays a large part in that, but so do new manufacturing techniques and computer simulation of designs.

The only problem with all that cool innovation is that a $30 suppressor can perform to 90% of what the latest and greatest can.

The market has been fucked with via gov regulation. This is in no way similar to TI calculators.
    He's saying they will be like calculators after they are no longer NFA items. I tend to agree.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The only problem with all that cool innovation is that a $30 suppressor can perform to 90% of what the latest and greatest can.

This is kind of where I was going. I can build one right now with what I have in my garage and my maglite for about 50 bucks. I understand a lot of R and D goes into developing some of the technology but the base technology has been around for over 100 years. If it was not illegal I would have already built my own. I think many people would have.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Will be funny to see the maglights exploding on the end of 30-06 barrels.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I think the biggest reduction in cost if the HPA works out will be the paperwork involved by the manufacturer and seller.

I have yet to celebrate the last election. Getting HPA and a few changes at the ATF may make my outlook on the whole thing better.

tact

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Presidio
    This is kind of where I was going. I can build one right now with what I have in my garage and my maglite for about 50 bucks. I understand a lot of R and D goes into developing some of the technology but the base technology has been around for over 100 years. If it was not illegal I would have already built my own. I think many people would have.

It's not illegal to build your own..just 200$. If you can buy a couple of firearms for the price of a suppressor then you probably shouldn't ever purchase one.....ever.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    You can get an idea of what suppressors would cost after HPA looking at the New Zealand market. .22 cans are around $100. Larger calibers between $300 and $450 in US dollars. I don't know what the materials are, but their weights and sizes are comparable to ours. I don't see q/d mounts or boosters over there, so those would add some to US prices.

As for Silencer Co, their current products aren't as interesting as their competitors'. I bought a Hybrid before 41P because I wanted a 45 sized can and it looked interesting. It's a great suppressor and would buy it again. I bought 8 others, but that was the only one from SiCo. Right now, I'm looking at several .22 cans in the next few months after (hopefully) the blob of form 4s from last July works its way through. But none of those cans is from SiCo. I have zero interest in their Maxim at $1500. If it were half that price, sure. But right now it seems like Rugged, Dead Air, Liberty, etc have more interesting choices. Whatever the reason, it's too bad all those people got laid off.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's not illegal to build your own..just 200$. If you can buy a couple of firearms for the price of a suppressor then you probably shouldn't ever purchase one.....ever.

Why?

Top Bottom