• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If the AHA actually passes, there will be innovation out the proverbial ying yang.....integrally suppressed firearms will be a big seller, initially there will be a rush, but due to stiff competition, prices will drop.

I can see major manufacturers like Ruger saying......buy a 10/22 and get a free suppressor.....

jmho...
    Gun Zone Deals

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Brian C,

I'm afraid you've got it backwards.

If suppressors start flying off the shelves if the AHA passes, competition will bring the cost down dramatically.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If suppressors start flying off the shelves if the AHA passes, competition will bring the cost down dramatically.

The cost will not go down significantly relative to what the same can sells for now. But the opening of the market will bring new players in who will make cheaper cans.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Or we'll see very little change as the subsection of the already small active gun community that cares about suppressors won't be enough to really effect the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's only a small community because of government regs. Take the regs away and lots of people will buy cans. If a can costs $100 OTD people will buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Are you of the pessimist view, equating lower cost cans with lower quality?

It's been my experience when there's a big demand, not only does cost go down, but often quality goes up. That's what happens when there's a mix of free enterprise and competition.

As to what's currently on the can market and their costs, I think they're pricing is what the market will bear. In other words, very high..

Once demand goes up (assuming AHA passes) and competition seriously kicks in, I think you pessimists will see the truth.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Are you of the pessimist view, equating lower cost cans with lower quality?

Yes,I find that to be generally true.

Example we have already seen ACOGS & Aimpoints vs NCStar and other Chinese knockoffs.

The post-HPA market will be similar. Today's high-end will still be there, but an incredible market of low-end knockoffs will be created.

41magnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    Some say "buying & waiting forever isn't worth it"

Well, I was one of those.
    My son talked me into, doing the dance, jumping through the hoops, biting the bullet, what have you.

After 10 months and plenty of second quessing, buyers remorse, it finally arrived. Got the barrel threaded on my 308W, out to the range.

Gentlemen, I am a believer, convert, and have a rimfire supressor sitting in ATFE purgatory.

I will welcome the passage of the HPA, look forward to the innovations, pricing that competition, and increased demand will bring.

If nothing else, a suppressor will automatically discounted $200.00

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Some shooters in other countries use $20 disposable Chinese 22lr suppressors.

Nobody will buy something like that with a $200 stamp, but with no stamp we could very well see them here.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And a lot more factory threaded barrels being offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Yes,I find that to be generally true.

Example we have already seen ACOGS & Aimpoints vs NCStar and other Chinese knockoffs.

The post-HPA market will be similar. Today's high-end will still be there, but an incredible market of low-end knockoffs will be created.
    The thing is that there's top-of-the-line cans and they cost accordingly. There will be cheap cheap cheap too; however, there are lots of folks who will go for value-priced cans that are good enough when it comes to sound suppression and will cost less than what you see today. Value-priced doesn't necessarily mean garbage.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I will never succumb to the temptation of doing the paperwork to get a silencer. If passed, the new law will change that and I'll probably pop for several cans. (Note the pun?). Until then....sorry I can't be of any help.

Flash

I liked the pun! :)

I completely get what you're saying about the paperwork, but I consider every one of my suppressors well worth the hassle, wait, and cost. I've enjoyed them immensely, and will feel no remorse if the day comes when the same cans are half the cost with no paperwork and no tax...only joy! :D

Top Bottom