• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I don't know about Texas, but some states require you to have an actual college degree in preservation and restoration before you can actually touch something like this. Crazy shit.
    DK Firearms

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    It doesn't matter if the contractor is required to have a PHD and do the entire repair himself with ten thousand dollars worth of specialty tools. A quarter million bucks is still an insane rip-off.

No one in this thread is saying they're not outraged by this asinine desecration. However, some are just as outraged, perhaps more so (I am) by the insane rip-off of Texas taxpayers by our own filthy dirty bureaucrats.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Ozzy peed on a statue NEAR the Alamo, not ON the Alamo. And this was just drunken silliness, not intentional desecration.

EDIT: This might have been different had he bitten the head off the statue. :)

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Anyone who does not believe the Alamo is worth it is welcome to keep their penny.

I will pay the difference from my own pocket.

You can stop complaining now, Mike. I already mailed in your penny.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    YG... no one is insinuating the Alamo "isn't worth it". Of course it is.

What some are saying OUTRIGHT is that we have bureaucrats ripping off taxpayers with a quarter million dollar estimate which, BTW, will increase to $350-500K before the work is finished... because that ALWAYS happens. Charging a quarter to half million to repair that tiny bit of stone is INSANE.

EDIT: I'm not complaining... just trying to express some COMMON CENTS. :)

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If jay Leno got a scratch on one of his cars he wouldn't take it to aamco.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Okay, I give up. I like you, YG, but we'll never agree on the reasonable cost of restoration. We agree on all other counts but not that. I'll just leave my statement as follows...

Grant me the quarter million dollar contract and I'll subcontract the work to "experts" for ten thousand dollars. I'll be eternally grateful for your generosity regarding my $240K profit (minus taxes). I'll ensure the work performed will be "perfect".

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    bdee,

IF I was the presiding judge & could do it, I'd sentence that SWINE to about 250,000 hours of working in the dirtiest job in town.

yours, satx

bdee

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Texas
    bdee,

IF I was the presiding judge & could do it, I'd sentence that SWINE to about 250,000 hours of working in the dirtiest job in town.

yours, satx
    Well $250,000 divided by $7.25/hr. is 34,482 hours just to indemnify the taxpayer. That would be 16.5 years working 40 hours a week, and I think it fitting that he do graffiti and roadside clean up. I would be satisfied as that would be a fitting punishment. And at that we don't have to pay his room and board as well.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    bdee,

When I was a young deputy in south LA, we paid the inmates ONE BUCK per hour. Thus, 250,000 hours of dirty/hot work for that swine.

yours, satx

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    First,
    The exact quarry and layer must be found to replace the molested stonework.
    Then the correct mortar must be replicated to lay the new stones(s).
    Then the weathering of 200 or so years needs to be replicated.
    Maybe even a period correct musket ball fired upon the completed repair before the accelerated weathering.

If the "overpaid" contractor fucks up any step, he starts over.

Hell. I bet you'd get over a million just to rehab John Wayne's yacht from the 1960s correctly.

Submit your bids.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well $250,000 divided by $7.25/hr. is 34,482 hours just to indemnify the taxpayer. That would be 16.5 years working 40 hours a week, and I think it fitting that he do graffiti and roadside clean up. I would be satisfied as that would be a fitting punishment. And at that we don't have to pay his room and board as well.

Minimum on this type of work, including the engineering and design submissions, approvals, negotiations, etc. is probably $150/hr. $250/hr wouldn't surprise me. Insurance is going to be a pretty penny, too, in case the restoration causes additional damage that must be repaired.

bdee

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Texas
    Minimum on this type of work, including the engineering and design submissions, approvals, negotiations, etc. is probably $150/hr. $250/hr wouldn't surprise me. Insurance is going to be a pretty penny, too, in case the restoration causes additional damage that must be repaired.
    Well working at today's minimum wage of $7.25 an hour for the next 16 years would be part of the sentence. And I wouldn't let him neat the Alamo again. Let him clean graffiti somewhere else in the city. Part of making him do that is so that we don't have to pay his room and board as well. We'll just front the money on the restoration until he pays it off.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well working at today's minimum wage of $7.25 an hour for the next 16 years would be part of the sentence. And I wouldn't let him neat the Alamo again. Let him clean graffiti somewhere else in the city. Part of making him do that is so that we don't have to pay his room and board as well. We'll just front the money on the restoration until he pays it off.

I'm sure that will happen. Ultimately, though, he'll never pay. The Alamo is probably insured against such happenings, anyway (not an excuse, just saying $250K restitution isn't reality, unfortunately).

Top Bottom