• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    When you & pops go for you LTC find a place that does everything, classroom, range

Spring Guns & Ammo in Spring is where I did mine. It was efficient and my instructor was good (Kris Mayfield - he does their defensive pistol & AR classes as well). They push a lot of people through here. There were 3 classes going with 25+ per class when I was there.

Saddle River on FM1488 is closer to Magnolia & also holds classes. I keep a membership here but I have never done training with them.
    Guns International

6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    The drive across the state from Kerrick to Magnolia was fun and interesting, and it was kind of eye opening for my wife and mother in law - they seemed to think that Texas was like it was portrayed in old western movies - arid, brown, full of tumble weeds, cowboys on horse back, and stuck in the 1860s.
    You can take them to the West Texas small towns for that!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You’ll be disappointed with Austin. Pretty much everything you just left.

If you’re going to Lockhart, make it a trip. Start in Luling @ Snow’s. Be there early, they’ll be sold out before noon, and hit up City Market. Then go over Lockhart for Kreuz, Black’s, and Smitty’s. Finish your day at Southside in Elgin if you’re not already in a meat coma.

Snow’s is in Lexington. Luling City Market is good too.

I liked Smitty’s beef sausage, bought a box to take home. Blacks beef rib was really good. Kreuz was all good.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You can take them to the West Texas small towns for that!

My wife has a cousin currently stationed at Fort Bliss. Have told her once the COVID nonsense dies down, we've got to get together. She's one of my wife's favorite cousins - and probably the one with her head screwed on the straightest. She's been both a Marine and a soldier. The trip west might be fun, though it would likely entail more driving than time visiting, since it's about a 4 day round trip by road.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    My wife has a cousin currently stationed at Fort Bliss. Have told her once the COVID nonsense dies down, we've got to get together. She's one of my wife's favorite cousins - and probably the one with her head screwed on the straightest. She's been both a Marine and a soldier. The trip west might be fun, though it would likely entail more driving than time visiting, since it's about a 4 day round trip by road.

It's ~11 hours to El Paso from here. And you're exactly 1/2 way to LA when you get there. :)
    If you're going that way, you owe it to yourselves to go down & see Big Bend as well.
    If you like the night sky, the McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis is also a favorite place of ours to visit.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It's ~11 hours to El Paso from here. And you're exactly 1/2 way to LA when you get there. :)
    If you're going that way, you owe it to yourselves to go down & see Big Bend as well.
    If you like the night sky, the McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis is also a favorite place of ours to visit.

We have lots of places on the list to visit, Big Bend was already there, but I didn't know about McDonald Observatory. That'd be cool to take my kiddo too. I had a telescope as a kid and loved stargazing.

6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    In Texas, that's a one day drive :)

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    In Texas, that's a one day drive :)

Still a day & a half for me if my mother in law is with us. 69 years old, bladder the size of a grape fruit it seems, plus leg swelling and mobility issues. We're good for about 7-8 hours per day. I pushed us a couple days on the drive here from Oregon, but when we got here, her lower legs were bigger around than my fat head.

6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    Still a day & a half for me if my mother in law is with us. 69 years old, bladder the size of a grape fruit it seems, plus leg swelling and mobility issues. We're good for about 7-8 hours per day. I pushed us a couple days on the drive here from Oregon, but when we got here, her lower legs were bigger around than my fat head.
    True, the ole circulation does not do well sitting for long periods. We've made many stops on long trip for the pregnant or nursing wife. Makes for a very long day to stop every 2 hours :(.

Top Bottom