• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I finally got my computer setup a week after getting here - we rolled into Magnolia on the 5th and spent the first night in our new home. Morning of the 6th I was given a "welcome to Texas" greeting by two copperheads that had taken up residence under a piece of plywood the previous owner had graciously left on the ground in our carport. We all survived the encounter, as I figured they, or something similar, would be under it so it was no startle or surprise. I tried getting pix, but they dashed into the wood piled up behind the carport before I could get a good shot.

The new place is great. Spent Saturday afternoon mowing it with the help of my dad and a couple borrowed mowers - his little lawn tractor, and one of my grandparents zero turn mowers. Definitely need to get a zero turn of our own, there seems to be just under an acre and a half of grass to cut, and little of it is really level, and there's some decent incline to parts of it. I also need to borrow or rent a brush hog, underbrush is too close to the house for my liking. There's fence to repair. Signs of wild hogs having recently visited the backyard (makes sense, since we heard them, and some coyotes going apeshit on our first night here), and lots of other small things to fix around the place.

I've been loving the weather, despite having to change shirts once or twice daily.

I'm not in love with Texas' fishing license schemes, but ohwell. The whole ending August 31 for annual licenses is kind of stupid, when resident licenses are good from date of purchase for a full year, but the kid at Academy told me I could get a new non-resident one after the 15th that would be good for a year. Can't get a resident license for 6 months.

We tried shutting the gate behind us but there was a slew of cars with Texas plates coming in from Oklahoma, so hopefully they turned the sign around and sent the loonies toward Oklahoma or Colorado.

Stoked to call Texas home. I love it. Wife loves it. Her mom seems to be loving it. And I'm working with my dad every day now. Good times!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When covid is over avoid driving by the high school on game nights. Rancho Grande over Las Fuentes. Magnolia diner is fair, Pizzaiolo's Pizza is good. Don't be surprise when they check you $50.00 or $100.00 bills @ Brookshire Brothers

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The drive across the state from Kerrick to Magnolia was fun and interesting, and it was kind of eye opening for my wife and mother in law - they seemed to think that Texas was like it was portrayed in old western movies - arid, brown, full of tumble weeds, cowboys on horse back, and stuck in the 1860s. I'm amused by the fact they are amazed there are national chains like Five Guys or McDonalds in places, or that the bulk of the state we've seen was lush and green. They were likewise surprised to see the number of wind mills and solar panels, which far, far outdo what the PNW has.

I seriously dug the 75+ mph speed limits, even on the country roads.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    When covid is over avoid driving by the high school on game nights. Rancho Grande over Las Fuentes. Magnolia diner is fair, Pizzaiolo's Pizza is good. Don't be surprise when they check you $50.00 or $100.00 bills @ Brookshire Brothers

Good tips there. I was wondering about Pizzaiolo's - we did Pizza last night, but grabbed pizza from Papa Murphy's in Tomball (Papa Murphy's has been one of my favorite pizza places since I was a kid, and it was known as Papa Aldo's) - we hit up the BBQ Hut last week before the friend who helped us move here had to scoot back to Oregon, I enjoyed the food. Did the three meat plate, with the brisket, hot link, and turkey with pinto beans and green beans for the sides. Their large taco salad was absurdly large, my wife ate for a couple days on that. Good stuff.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The drive across the state from Kerrick to Magnolia was fun and interesting, and it was kind of eye opening for my wife and mother in law - they seemed to think that Texas was like it was portrayed in old western movies - arid, brown, full of tumble weeds, cowboys on horse back, and stuck in the 1860s. I'm amused by the fact they are amazed there are national chains like Five Guys or McDonalds in places, or that the bulk of the state we've seen was lush and green. They were likewise surprised to see the number of wind mills and solar panels, which far, far outdo what the PNW has.

I seriously dug the 75+ mph speed limits, even on the country roads.
    Did you stop @ a Bu-cees yet?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Good tips there. I was wondering about Pizzaiolo's - we did Pizza last night, but grabbed pizza from Papa Murphy's in Tomball (Papa Murphy's has been one of my favorite pizza places since I was a kid, and it was known as Papa Aldo's) - we hit up the BBQ Hut last week before the friend who helped us move here had to scoot back to Oregon, I enjoyed the food. Did the three meat plate, with the brisket, hot link, and turkey with pinto beans and green beans for the sides. Their large taco salad was absurdly large, my wife ate for a couple days on that. Good stuff.

Next time you are in Tomball, you gotta have a chicken fried steak at Goodson's Cafe. I heard Mel's has a good one too.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Did you stop @ a Bu-cees yet?

We somehow didn't see one at all the whole trip, I was looking for one. We did 385 south from Oklahoma to Amarillo, Lubbock, then came across Hwy 84 to I-20 to Abilene, turned off onto Hwy 6 all the way down to 105, and 105 all the way to 1774 into town.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We somehow didn't see one at all the whole trip, I was looking for one. We did 385 south from Oklahoma to Amarillo, Lubbock, then came across Hwy 84 to I-20 to Abilene, turned off onto Hwy 6 all the way down to 105, and 105 all the way to 1774 into town.
    If you can't sleep go check it out. Good jerky & dried sausage, killer fudge, good bakery. White Jalapeno popcorn & Bu-cees Nuggets.

• #3227106 US-290Cypress Texas 77433

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Oh and I meant to add that A&P Armory is located near you. I've never been there but I hear it's a good store. And the owner posts here once in a while.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Oh and I meant to add that A&P Armory is located near you. I've never been there but I hear it's a good store. And the owner posts here once in a while.

I've driven past it a number of times, eventually I've got to stop in and say hi. Same with Bear Arms, and Absolute Zero, and Tomball Pawn...

Top Bottom