Patriot Mobile

Los Zetas (Mexican cartel) take over ranches near Laredo, TX?! Media blackout?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Oh, believe me - I've got "plug-ins" on the TX Border - and yeah, the porousity is simply unbelievable. My point was that to repeat untrue stories lessens our validity on the ones that ARE true, but unreported - and there's WAY too many of them. The cartels have begun their media intimidation well into the US, with threats against journalists that if they report a story, they or their family won't survive - and the journalists are running for cover.

It IS bad out there - and it's going to get worse, because the corruption within the Mexican LEO community is so pervasive that it's going to take a bloodbath beyond anything we'd believe to even stand a chance of stopping it.
    I fear you are correct
    Target Sports

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    You are going to fire a gun at a group of well-armed, SF trained, ruthless veterans of the Mexico drug war? Somehow this doesn't sound like a winning proposal.

Unfortunately one man isn't going to do shit to these cartels. We need to involve our military in a border protection front, just the same as we did with Pancho Villa.
    i do believe i mentioned a security detail somewhere in my post. and i pretty much figure one wouldnt actually hire "Barney Fife" and his pals!! im talking about fortifying and protecting "Ones own Residence"!! and YES i would fight to the death side by side with my "Well Trained Security Detail"!! just sayin. are you just gonna run and let them have it ???????? not to mention a well fortified position will be to the occupants advantage.....

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    it isnt exactly legal to "shoot thieves" (see Tennessee v. Garner). Now if someone is attempting to harm you that is different.
    we live in texas and if im not mistaken, didnt some gentleman in houston shoot 2-Illegal immigrants in the back/where ever for stealing and not be tried?? and i thought one was aloud to protect their property from personal harm as well as THIEVES??? otherwise "I WAS IN FEAR OF MY LIFE AND FAMILYS WELLBEING"!!! and obviously they are not gonna steal your dirt so YES protecting ones dwelling is what i meant.... just like the old cowboy days where you had ranch hands. only today they'd be killer mercenaries!!:patriot:WE ARE AT WAR HERE AT HOME!! AND OUR GVNMENT JUST CONTINUES TO TURN A BLIND EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO ONE MUST DO WHAT ONE MUST DO!!!!!!!!!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Redneck - It's a fake story? Got any links to debunks or anything like that?

It's too believable because it's going to happen eventually IMO.

we live in texas and if im not mistaken, didnt some gentleman in houston shoot 2-Illegal immigrants in the back/where ever for stealing and not be tried?? and i thought one was aloud to protect their property from personal harm as well as THIEVES??? otherwise "I WAS IN FEAR OF MY LIFE AND FAMILYS WELLBEING"!!! and obviously they are not gonna steal your dirt so YES protecting ones dwelling is what i meant.... just like the old cowboy days where you had ranch hands. only today they'd be killer mercenaries!!:patriot:WE ARE AT WAR HERE AT HOME!! AND OUR GVNMENT JUST CONTINUES TO TURN A BLIND EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO ONE MUST DO WHAT ONE MUST DO!!!!!!!!!

That was Joe Horn, it was Pasadena and the grand jury no-billed him. That was a pretty obvious case of nullification.

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    By Nick Georgiou
    Laredo Morning Times
    Published: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:38 PM CDT
    Local law enforcement was bombarded with calls from across the country Saturday asking about a report that the Zetas had taken over two ranches off Mines Road.

But officials with the Laredo Police Department, Webb County Sheriff’s Department and Border Patrol said they knew nothing about such an incident, while Erik Vasys, an FBI spokesman in San Antonio, said the agency does not comment on rumors.

The report, which spread like wildfire among blogs Saturday afternoon, appears to have initially been posted on a blog called Diggers Realm.

The blogger wrote that he got a tip from a San Diego, Calif., minuteman named Jeff Schwilk, who said that the Zetas, former enforcers of the Gulf Cartel, had crossed into the United States and taken over two ranches off Mines Road, about 10 miles northwest of Interstate 35.

Quoting Schwilk, the blogger wrote that there was a standoff between “the unknown size Zeta forces and the U.S. Border Patrol and local law enforcement on two ranches …”

The blogger wrote that the story was confirmed by anonymous sources at LPD.

But Investigator Jose E. Baeza, LPD spokesman, said he had not heard anything about the incident. Also, an LPD sergeant, who was on duty as a watch commander Saturday afternoon, said she had not heard anything about it either.

At about 4:30 p.m., Maru De La Paz, spokeswoman for Webb County Sheriff’s Office, wrote that the report about Zetas taking over ranches in Laredo is not confirmed.

(Nick Georgiou may be reached at 728-2582 or ngeorgiou@lmtonline.com)

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    I was puzzled be the part of the story were it said they would neither confirm or deny, so I forwarded the link over to someone I know working the border.
    He said this is happening, that they know where to find the guys but, aren't allowed to go after them. He wouldn't talk specifics but said this report did go out
    to law enforcement and for that reason he said he confirmed that this is a true story.

The guy that I ask about this works for a department not named "border patrol or local law enforcement" what I don't understand is why they have them there if they aren't allowed to do anything?

I'm going with Sage on this.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

How do you protect your property from "personal harm"? A grand jury who does not indict a guy who shot somebody does not make shooting thieves legal, skeet. Cant shoot someone for simply stealing from you...even in Texas.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    They already have taken part of Arizona! The presidents job is to protect Americans and guard our borders. He is in breech of oath.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Cant shoot someone for simply stealing from you...even in Texas.
    at this point who said they were stealing anymore?? Skeeter- "They were attacking us and i was in fear for my family and my own life"!! Cop- "why are there so many bodies outside your house"?? Skeeter-"refer to first comment"!! i figure we are at war with them!! they are killing americans at any whimmmm!! so i figure MY PROPERTY, Dead ILLEGALS outside my house its self defense!! again, PROVE ME WRONG!!! If only one side of the story is still alive, well then ya cant call me a liar!! :patriot:

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    not to mention ALL the signs written in spanish I'd have warning them of being shot if caught on my land for trespassing!! they obviously DONT CARE ABOUT THE CONSIQUENCES!!! i mean really, this country has been PUSSIFIED!! back in the day you COULD shoot trespassers ON YOUR OWN LAND!!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    now am i wrong, or isit jsutified to shoot to prevent a robbery? even of a thrid party. seems i read that in one of TXI's posts, which tend to be spot on technically speaking.

skeetz, when you get that ranch, let me know, i'll sign up for patrol duty.

and i'll bring you the trigger fingers of the BGs, though i will need a trench digger or a bobcat for digging holes and setting up defensable postions...

;)

oh and fyi the first BBQ of my term will be the first thursday after my election - and every other thursday after that!

seems like alot of crazyness on this issue though.
    who wants to jsut go ona little fact finding mission and check it out?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can use deadly force to stop a robbery, yes. You can also use it to stop many property crimes at night including mere criminal mischief (which amounts to vandalism) if it's the only way you see to do so. Ditto with theft at night - if it's the only way you think you can recover your property.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You can use deadly force to stop a robbery, yes. You can also use it to stop many property crimes at night including mere criminal mischief (which amounts to vandalism) if it's the only way you see to do so. Ditto with theft at night - if it's the only way you think you can recover your property.
    Sage,
    While you are correct and Texans love to quote that "theft at night" statute, there is case law that nulifies it. And you can use deadly force to stop a robbery (which is different than a theft. you can also use deadly force to prevent a kidnapping)
    Now gentlemen, dont get me worng....under the scenarios we are throwing around, there are lots of options that may allow the use of deadly force. I just wanted to make it clear that you cant shoot someone for stealing from you if they are doing nothing else. I think in the case of armed Mexican drug gangs robbing ranch houses no prosecutors or grand juries are going to go after a homeowner.
    I just get a little nervous when we start throwing around the idea of shooting people for whatever offense WE feel is legal.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe that Texas' Castle Doctrine allows the use of deadly force when it comes to perceived criminal intent at a person's residence, vehicle and place of employment. That includes the "stand your ground" clause where you do not have to retreat to a so-called safe place. As for protecting your land, I don't think that applies but I'm just making a statement based on the letter of the law.

I would say that if your home is being invaded you are well within your rights to use deadly force to repel that invasion. Whether or not your home is fortified against the firepower that I've seen in photos of raids of Las Zetas' caches is another matter.

Personally, I'd shoot first and ask questions later (but then if I shoot straight there won't be anyone around to ask those questions of later).

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guys, if you haven't lived along the border it's VERY hard to imagine just what these folks are facing. A dear friend was murdered by drug runners 15 years ago. He knew it was coming, and while he tried to be prepared for it, when the time came he let his guard down for 2 seconds - and it cost him his life. Prior to that, he spent (literally) thousands of dollars "hardening" his residence against small arms fire, clearing fields of fire, installing shielding plates, firing slits etc. Many thought him overly paranoid - but have come to realize that he, in fact, saw the rising water.

This is going to turn into a war on our own lands if we're no VERY lucky, and become much more proactive than we currently are. I know that in my case, I no longer travel the border. IF for some reason I HAVE to, then it will be only with body armor and at least some measure of hardening of my vehicle. The best way is to avoid the area at all costs, IMO. Thing is, you don't know you're headed into trouble until you're in the middle of it - and the chances of you coming out the other side are going to be pretty slim. These guys are *not* playing around - and we need to get that into our heads, and start demanding some damned strong measures, or the battle is going to be at our doorsteps before we know it.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Well when Washington pulls its collective heat out of its ass and makes illegal immigration the federal issue it's supposed to be rather than something being handled at the state level this could get pretty violent. It wouldn't take but a small fraction of the military power residing in Texas alone to scorched earth **** Mexico back into the stone age, not that I'm suggesting anything like that at all should take place. UAVs and satellite monitoring alone would bring the fight to the cartel with no risk of American lives. These are resources at the disposal of the federal government should our President step up and do something about the growing immigration/drug war problem.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    one thing we can bet on(considering what kind of an administration we have now) is that its going to get a lot worse before it gets any better. and, how far do yall think these these cartels are willing to go(geographically speaking)? I live in Midland, and my Grandad lives a little south of Monahans, how long is it going to be before the fighting is on his doorstep? he's going to be 80 in August and he can only reload so much .357

megafatcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Article 16
    Each of the contracting parties reserves to itself the entire right to fortify whatever point within its territory it may judge proper so to fortify for its security.
    Treaty with Mexico

Why not?

Top Bottom