• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Just because nobody really does it yet.

What this law is really about isn't the gun aspect, it's about slapping peoples mouths shut. OC there wasn't ever really about self defense, it was entirely a political statement.
    What are the long gun laws in CA? Is carry of unloaded long guns lawful?

Scalpel4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    DFW
    Help me understand this, and forgive my ignorance. I looked at the law a bit, and it bans OC for anyone without a permit, but you can still get a permit to open carry. How is that different from requiring a CHL to carry here in Texas?

Scalpel4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    DFW
    So the whole issue is over the wording of whether or not a state has the right decide whom it can issue a permit to? Chew me if you want but to me thats a stretch before getting to the level of tyranny. The ammo law is definitely moronic but this ones a bit nit picky, and not on the cusp of a slippery slope yet.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    So the whole issue is over the wording of whether or not a state has the right decide whom it can issue a permit to? Chew me if you want but to me thats a stretch before getting to the level of tyranny. The ammo law is definitely moronic but this ones a bit nit picky, and not on the cusp of a slippery slope yet.
    That's not what shall issue/may issue means. This kind of petty law is what exists at the bottom of the slippery slope.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

"May issue" is the way CA is set up (as opposed to Texas and other states that are "shall issue", or really "must issue"). "May issue" is discriminatory issue. The way the system is set up in CA, it's up to your chief law enforcement officer - police chief or usually sheriff, because chiefs out there are pansies who pass the buck - whether or not you get a license and any restrictions they put on it. And they can literally put any restrictions they want.

This one isn't even on the cusp of the slope. It's way, way down the slope. Like I said before, it wasn't done to prevent carry per se, it was done to silence political speech (you really think people carry unloaded for self defense!?).

It's a (zen) fascist move.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    This one isn't even on the cusp of the slope. It's way, way down the slope. Like I said before, it wasn't done to prevent carry per se, it was done to silence political speech (you really think people carry unloaded for self defense!?).
    May be that they get panicked calls to the police from the citizenry every time they see someone OCing. The average person is pretty illogical around guns.

Scalpel4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    DFW
    "This one isn't even on the cusp of the slope. It's way, way down the slope. Like I said before, it wasn't done to prevent carry per se, it was done to silence political speech (you really think people carry unloaded for self defense!?).

It's a (zen) fascist move.

Uh, yeah, I CC for defense, and OC when I hunt. Nobody OC's on a shopping trip, there's no need for it. Thats not "zen facism", that's just common sense.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Uh, yeah, I CC for defense, and OC when I hunt. Nobody OC's on a shopping trip, there's no need for it. Thats not "zen facism", that's just common sense.
    I don't think you understand. In most areas of CA an ordinary person will not be granted a concealed carry permit. The only means of carry left was unloaded with a mag on the belt.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    May be that they get panicked calls to the police from the citizenry every time they see someone OCing. The average person is pretty illogical around guns.

Very rare from what I understand. And the more people OC, the less common those calls become. You start weeding it down to the anti-gun nimrods calling to have the police harass you because they don't have the stones to do it themselves.

First, I meant OC in the California sense. Unloaded and open. You can't carry concealed there unless you're special (unless you're famous, rich and/or a major contributor to a sheriff's campaign, you're not getting a license in the more urban counties) or from a very rural county.

Second, I would totally OC on a shopping trip. Why not? I'd keep it low profile, sure, but I prefer full-size handguns. Harder to conceal and why should I have to dress around it?

Scalpel4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    DFW
    file.php?avatar=1137_1287252977.gif

Top Bottom