• ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Thinking out loud.

If I vote for Libertarian, or other party that has slim chance of winning, some may say I’m throwing my vote away or my vote doesn’t count. I’m told I need to hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils, the candidate that will do me less harm. Not the best candidate or the candidate that aligns most closely to my values.

What if I lived in a blue county where the republican had essentially zero chance of winning. If I vote republican, because I feel they hold the closest views to mine, even though I know the more dangerous candidate will win, what’s the difference? At that point, shouldn’t I vote for less dangerous democrat? If you live in Harris, or Tarrant or other similar counties, are you throwing your vote away voting for a republican that won’t win?
    Venture Surplus ad

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Conan the Libertarian

CONAN-770x513.jpg

I would vote for him. I am sure he would quickly get all our problems resolved.

Attachments

• CONAN-770x513.jpg
      CONAN-770x513.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 338

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If Teddy couldn't make it with his Bull Moose party, and Perot with his name recognition and millions, how can I expect any unknown to have a serious run?

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    If Teddy couldn't make it with his Bull Moose party, and Perot with his name recognition and millions, how can I expect any unknown to have a serious run?
    Different times. Social media And internet is key. Here we are talking about an unknown on A gun forum.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Thinking out loud.

What if I lived in a blue county where the republican had essentially zero chance of winning. If I vote republican, because I feel they hold the closest views to mine, even though I know the more dangerous candidate will win, what’s the difference? At that point, shouldn’t I vote for less dangerous democrat? If you live in Harris, or Tarrant or other similar counties, are you throwing your vote away voting for a republican that won’t win?
    I would suggest in this case that you vote democrat in the primary for the least likely democrat to win in the general election. Than vote republican in the general election. I voted for HRC over Obama in the primary, it didn't work but I tried.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Different times. Social media And internet is key. Here we are talking about an unknown on A gun forum.
    And who in the past 15 years has made any kind of serious run? No one has even come close to TR or Perot, who were in the stone ages before twitter and bookface.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    And who in the past 15 years has made any kind of serious run? No one has even come close to TR or Perot, who were in the stone ages before twitter and bookface.
    Seriously? Trump was an outsider with little chance of winning. Obama was an even greater long shot at the start.
    And yes, while neither were third party, I don’t see either getting the nomination 30 years ago.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    A vote for a third party candidate in a Democratic stronghold simply adds to the perception of a greater plurality for those in power, emboldening them further.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Seriously? Trump was an outsider with little chance of winning. Obama was an even greater long shot at the start.
    And yes, while neither were third party, I don’t see either getting the nomination 30 years ago.

Obama had a following. He was very successful at preaching Hope and Change, (didn't deliver it though!) and many I suspect, voted for him simply because he was black. He was very talented at telling people what they wanted to hear.

Trump is an extremely wealthy, and recognized name. He was very successful at campaigning to people that felt left out for too many years, the common, and average American. He spoke about making America great again. He made promises that people wanted to believe could come true. He delivered on those promises.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Obama had a following. He was very successful at preaching Hope and Change, (didn't deliver it though!) and many I suspect, voted for him simply because he was black. He was very talented at telling people what they wanted to hear.

Trump is an extremely wealthy, and recognized name. He was very successful at campaigning to people that felt left out for too many years, the common, and average American. He spoke about making America great again. He made promises that people wanted to believe could come true. He delivered on those promises.
    Obama was an unknown freshman senator at the start of the campaign cycle. Hell half his constituents hadn’t heard of him.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

That's all fine and dandy, but up until about a week ago when SmittyB mentioned her, I had never heard of Jorgensen. So if an average person such as myself, who does lean more to a libertarian viewpoint hasn't heard of her, and she's not out actively campaigning, what about others? No rallies, or TV commercials, and no other exposure that I have seen, makes me wonder just how serious she is about running.

You don't start training for a marathon, the day before the race!

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    That's all fine and dandy, but up until about a week ago when SmittyB mentioned her, I had never heard of Jorgensen. So if an average person such as myself, who does lean more to a libertarian viewpoint hasn't heard of her, and she's not out actively campaigning, what about others? No rallies, or TV commercials, and no other exposure that I have seen, makes me wonder just how serious she is about running.

You don't start training for a marathon, the day before the race!
    LOL, I’m not the one who started this thread!
    It takes millions of dollars to start campaigning a year in advance, something the RNC and DNC can provide, but not the Libertarian party.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's all fine and dandy, but up until about a week ago when SmittyB mentioned her, I had never heard of Jorgensen.
    Yes you've highlighted your lack of interest several times already. She didn't appear out of thin air at the convention last month.

The mainstream media refuses to air anyone libertarian related, included libertarian leaning Republicans. One of the goals of the party every year is to poll high enough to be allowed in the debates.

Top Bottom