• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good info here. Thanks! I have some research to do.
    Bad info there. Yeah, definitely do the research and you'll know the truth. FALs were adopted by a very large amount of the free world for a reason. They work, and they work well. They saw use in the 6 Days War, Vietnam, the Falklands (on both sides), the Rhodesian Bush War, and a few other conflicts.

The giant WWIII type war everyone was preparing for in Europe never happened, so they didn't see the type of use they were expected too, and most NATO countries tried to avoid war anyways so that's why they didn't see as much combat use as the AK or the M16. It had nothing to do with the gun itself.

Also, despite what we might like to believe, small arms do not decide modern wars. They are one tool in a massive toolbox, and they are not the most important one in there. Any wars that the FAL "lost" had nothing to do with the rifle itself. It had to do with how the rifle and the thousands of other tools at those militaries' disposal were used.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Incorrect. As I said, the FN is the Fusil Automatique Léger, while the Beretta is the Fucile Automatico Leggero. Beretta formally called it FAL BM 59, the Italian military called it FAL, similar to the commercial AR-15 is called M16 Rifle (or, as circumstances dictate, M4 Carbine) in American military service - or, inversely, the FN FAL is called G1, StG-58, etc., in military terms.

You completely missed my point about the side equipped with the FN FAL losing nearly every conflict it was involved in, with the notable exception of the Six-Day War. I prefaced my statement concerning the Falklands war that it is arguable.
    By the way, the M14 has been in military service for the United States for over 60 years, I'm not sure the FN FAL is in 1st-world military service anywhere - and not even Imbel is producing all the necessary parts any more, only DSA remains as a new manufacturer.
    Only the G3 design remains as a current-military-production battle rifle, although the BM59 is reportedly produced in Indonesia as the SP-1 as needed.

Eli

No, the m14 spent only 14ish years as a front line service rifle. Sitting in storage and seeing limtied issue as a SDMR is not the same thing as being a front line service rifle.

Being a smart ass doesn't make you smart, it just makes you an ass. Its pretty obvious that the OP was referring to the FN FAL. Not some technical name for the BM59.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    What do you call a Stg58? A R1a1? A L1a1?
    Answer: FAL.

What do you call an M1 garand the Italians modified to accept a 20 round magazine?
    Answer: BM59
    DpQ9YJl.png

Attachments

• DpQ9YJl.png
      DpQ9YJl.png
      13 KB · Views: 385

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Incorrect. As I said, the FN is the Fusil Automatique Léger, while the Beretta is the Fucile Automatico Leggero. Beretta formally called it FAL BM 59, the Italian military called it FAL, similar to the commercial AR-15 is called M16 Rifle (or, as circumstances dictate, M4 Carbine) in American military service - or, inversely, the FN FAL is called G1, StG-58, etc., in military terms.

You completely missed my point about the side equipped with the FN FAL losing nearly every conflict it was involved in, with the notable exception of the Six-Day War. I prefaced my statement concerning the Falklands war that it is arguable.
    By the way, the M14 has been in military service for the United States for over 60 years, I'm not sure the FN FAL is in 1st-world military service anywhere - and not even Imbel is producing all the necessary parts any more, only DSA remains as a new manufacturer.
    Only the G3 design remains as a current-military-production battle rifle, although the BM59 is reportedly produced in Indonesia as the SP-1 as needed.

Eli
    That says more about the support the troops were getting. The FAL certainly has it's tradoffs, but it is a GREAT battle rifle and fills it's role as such functionally and reliably.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now I have to decide metric or British pattern. So many choices. These things could reproduce like ARs
    Metric mags are cheaper and more plentiful. Inch pattern guns will technically take both types of mags, but the metric mags will be a little loose in them. It's better to stick with inch pattern mags for the inch pattern guns.

I'm no expert in FALs, but I don't think there's any real advantage in one over the other. If you are wanting the same FAL that the UK, Australia, Canada and other Commonwealth countries had, then I'd go with inch pattern. If you are just wanting an FAL in general or a modernized one, metric would be the way to go in my opinion for the cheaper and easier to find mags.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have had three including a FN para...sold two and kept the Aussie repro cause I like the rotary peep sight and flat charger handle. I have a 1000 dollars in it but that includes an original Ring duplex sight and a Trilux. What do I like most about L1A1 or FAL? The adjustable gas port! Also the curved L4 30 round mags are way cool! The ones with a bipod rock because as everyone whined correctly , it is a little heavy (M-14ish)

sreyemj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2020
    San Antonio
    The FAL's biggest fault is that most were imported as parts kits and factory guns are hard to come by ($$$). I hunted with mine for a few years, but it was pig to haul around. Accuracy was a consistant sub 5" for 5 shots at 200yards.

fYSS7hj.jpg

Attachments

• fYSS7hj.jpg
      fYSS7hj.jpg
      682.9 KB · Views: 752

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The FAL's biggest fault is that most were imported as parts kits and factory guns are hard to come by ($$$). I hunted with mine for a few years, but it was pig to haul around. Accuracy was a consistant sub 5" for 5 shots at 200yards.

View attachment 217270

Is that one of those bolt on pic rails from DSA? How do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one for my FAL when I finally get it, so that I can put a 1-6x or 1-8x scope of it.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It is, worked fine. Went back to irons to save weight.

It's good to hear that it worked just fine. I can imagine that a mount like that along with a scope would make an already heavy gun even heavier. Mine's mainly going to be a range toy, or might be used on occasion to kill off some of those damn hogs that keep tearing up our fields, so I'm not too concerned with weight. I definitely prefer a lighter gun for hunting though. Especially where I hunt. Thick woods and rocky hills aren't too much fun if you have to lug along an 11-12 lb rifle.

sreyemj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2020
    San Antonio
    It's good to hear that it worked just fine. I can imagine that a mount like that along with a scope would make an already heavy gun even heavier. Mine's mainly going to be a range toy, or might be used on occasion to kill off some of those damn hogs that keep tearing up our fields, so I'm not too concerned with weight. I definitely prefer a lighter gun for hunting though. Especially where I hunt. Thick woods and rocky hills aren't too much fun if you have to lug along an 11-12 lb rifle.
    If I remember right this was 13lb-something with a loaded 20rd mag (18in STG kit). I ran into a couple game wardens waaaaaay back up in the hills with it and after checking my licensee and tags they suggested I get a 6.8spc AR!

The only other amusing anecdote I recall from hunting with it was missing a shot at a blacktail spike one frosty morning because my fingers were too cold to get the safety off. After a few seconds of standing broadside it walked behind some trees in a clear cut and disappeared.

hMgow23.jpg

Attachments

• hMgow23.jpg
      hMgow23.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 610
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom